If the timeline was extended to 1997, what prototypes would become suddenly available?

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: If the timeline was extended to 1997, what prototypes would become suddenly available?

Postby Mike » Thu 2 Feb 2017 20:55

FrangibleCover wrote:
Mike wrote:1.814Mg. 8-)

Why you have all these prefixes and never use them? :P

Because the kg is the official SI unit. Hey, it makes more sense than whatever the hell a 'kip' is.

Also nobody says Mg, that's a Tonne.

It's a Mg and a Tonne. And I've never heard kip in my life, but I do electrical engineering. Everything I was taught was in imperial and metric units.
Courtesy of KattiValk

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: If the timeline was extended to 1997, what prototypes would become suddenly available?

Postby FrangibleCover » Thu 2 Feb 2017 21:08

Mike wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:
Mike wrote:1.814Mg. 8-)

Why you have all these prefixes and never use them? :P

Because the kg is the official SI unit. Hey, it makes more sense than whatever the hell a 'kip' is.

Also nobody says Mg, that's a Tonne.

It's a Mg and a Tonne. And I've never heard kip in my life, but I do electrical engineering. Everything I was taught was in imperial and metric units.

I'm doing Aerospace Engineering in the UK and occasionally we get example problems from US sources that use inches and kips (kilopound-force) and the aircraft travels at 1 megafoot/fortnight or whatever. It makes basically no difference since the equations are the same but it always feels so wrong.

I agree that it is a megagram but the term certainly isn't in common parlance over here in Semi-metricland. Perhaps a real European could weigh in?
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Thu 2 Feb 2017 22:07

FrangibleCover wrote:I agree that it is a megagram but the term certainly isn't in common parlance over here in Semi-metricland. Perhaps a real European could weigh in?

Tonne all the way in France (I'm doing physics).

GARGEAN
Brigadier

Postby GARGEAN » Thu 2 Feb 2017 22:53

FrangibleCover wrote:I'm doing Aerospace Engineering in the UK and occasionally we get example problems from US sources that use inches and kips (kilopound-force) and the aircraft travels at 1 megafoot/fortnight or whatever. It makes basically no difference since the equations are the same but it always feels so wrong.

I agree that it is a megagram but the term certainly isn't in common parlance over here in Semi-metricland. Perhaps a real European could weigh in?

Screw this! Metrics rools! Tonne everywhere!

wargamer1985
Brigadier

Postby wargamer1985 » Thu 2 Feb 2017 23:18

In my field we use metric most of the time except when presenting to those who may not be familiar with metric figures, but as a general rule of thumb calculating the weight of an electronic bay or ceramic inserts in kilograms is far easier than doing it in pounds, at least in my experience.

However, a good friend of mine who is an architect tells me that the Imperial system is preferred, as it takes longer from scaling down before you start having to deal with decimals, which is always preferable.
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Thu 2 Feb 2017 23:24

wargamer1985 wrote:However, a good friend of mine who is an architect tells me that the Imperial system is preferred, as it takes longer from scaling down before you start having to deal with decimals, which is always preferable.

Every time I heard something about architects my opinion of them get worse. Tell your friend there are prefixes for sub-multiples.

wargamer1985
Brigadier

Postby wargamer1985 » Thu 2 Feb 2017 23:38

morpher wrote:
wargamer1985 wrote:However, a good friend of mine who is an architect tells me that the Imperial system is preferred, as it takes longer from scaling down before you start having to deal with decimals, which is always preferable.

Every time I heard something about architects my opinion of them get worse. Tell your friend there are prefixes for sub-multiples.

Well, it is more of a preference thing than anything else, I mean that is why I tend to use the metric system after all. It isn't objectively superior, but I find it more useful for my line of work. Same probably applies to him.
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Fri 3 Feb 2017 00:20

FrangibleCover wrote:I'm doing Aerospace Engineering in the UK and occasionally we get example problems from US sources that use inches and kips (kilopound-force) and the aircraft travels at 1 megafoot/fortnight or whatever. It makes basically no difference since the equations are the same but it always feels so wrong.

Megafoot? Fortnight? That would just be giving in miles and biweekly. Those examples are full of shit. :lol: I'm willing to bet if I pulled someone off the street, they couldn't tell me what a fortnight is. I'm just used to having to put everything in engineering notation. Granted, I don't go higher than kilo- but milli-, mirco, nano- and occasional pico- shows up.
Courtesy of KattiValk

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Fri 3 Feb 2017 00:25

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Fri 3 Feb 2017 00:34

Mike wrote:

Megafoot? Fortnight? That would just be giving in miles and biweekly. Those examples are full of shit. :lol: I'm willing to bet if I pulled someone off the street, they couldn't tell me what a fortnight is. I'm just used to having to put everything in engineering notation. Granted, I don't go higher than kilo- but milli-, mirco, nano- and occasional pico- shows up.

The last example is definitely full of shit, the others are not. Kips are a real thing, or at least sufficiently real to be believed in. I forgot that the fortnight is much more of a British thing but 1 Mft/Fortnight is actually quite a nice number because it's roughly (quite roughly) the speed that airliners cruise at.

In Aero we deal with Megas and the occasional Giga but generally if a pico shows up you need to check your equations again :lol: .
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”