Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Kastev
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu 30 Jan 2014 20:46
Contact:

Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby Kastev » Fri 3 Feb 2017 03:09

So, does it deserve HEAT for it's gatling gun?

I feel it should, but at a lower AP level than the GAU-8A or the GSh-2-30

User avatar
axnone
First Sergeant
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri 12 Aug 2016 19:39
Location: Caerdydd
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby axnone » Fri 3 Feb 2017 06:24

IIRC the GAU-8A and GSh-30-2 gained AP value because both of them had Depleted uranium armor-piercing shells specialized for tank busting, which the GAU-12 didn't have.
Image
二营长你他娘的PLZ-45呢,给我拉来!
Spoiler : :
A better Zhanshi`85(`90) for China!
RPG and\or price buff,Type 81 optional.
Dream come true?
:arrow: http://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=59331#p1019327

GARGEAN
Brigadier
Posts: 3496
Joined: Wed 9 Apr 2014 14:19
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby GARGEAN » Fri 3 Feb 2017 06:31

GSh-30-2 uses same ammunition as any other aerial 30x165mm, and there are no DU(or even APDS) ammo, only simple AP. HEAT is pure balance thing.

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu 10 Mar 2016 23:17
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby XanderTuron » Fri 3 Feb 2017 08:15

AP on plane cannons is pretty tricky business; giving it KE results in some range scaling shenanigans and can result in the plane not being able to fire on a target due to insufficient pen. As for HEAT, it results in the plane being able to do damage against any armour value (like what we have with the A-10, and the Su-25 and MiG-27 families).
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

Zaskow
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat 27 Jul 2013 10:09
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby Zaskow » Fri 3 Feb 2017 17:25

XanderTuron wrote:AP on plane cannons is pretty tricky business; giving it KE results in some range scaling shenanigans and can result in the plane not being able to fire on a target due to insufficient pen. As for HEAT, it results in the plane being able to do damage against any armour value (like what we have with the A-10, and the Su-25 and MiG-27 families).


It could work if plane cannons gain KE and shot on the ROOF of tank (like LGBs work). However, this change could lead to new balance issues.
Image

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon 5 Dec 2016 06:00
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby Seryn » Fri 3 Feb 2017 21:20

Zaskow wrote:
XanderTuron wrote:AP on plane cannons is pretty tricky business; giving it KE results in some range scaling shenanigans and can result in the plane not being able to fire on a target due to insufficient pen. As for HEAT, it results in the plane being able to do damage against any armour value (like what we have with the A-10, and the Su-25 and MiG-27 families).


It could work if plane cannons gain KE and shot on the ROOF of tank (like LGBs work). However, this change could lead to new balance issues.


So you are asking for an A2G variant of the Vulcan's A2A performance? Yeah no. Tanks are already Nommed on by AP Cannons, this would result in tanks getting killed in one pass.

User avatar
Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13730
Joined: Mon 9 Jul 2012 02:46
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby Killertomato » Fri 3 Feb 2017 21:46

A lot of tanks are only vulnerable to 30mm full caliber AP on the engine deck anyway.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

User avatar
Gunner
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri 2 Mar 2012 10:22
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby Gunner » Fri 3 Feb 2017 23:27

Back when KE shells were the norm of A-10 and the Frogfoot they ruled supreme, they could massacre a tank column with ease, first 1-2 tanks with missiles then 1-2 tanks with the gun. It might have been a bug but that`s how i remember that time they tried it out.
"Semper Paratus"

Kastev
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu 30 Jan 2014 20:46
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby Kastev » Sat 4 Feb 2017 00:03

Gunner wrote:Back when KE shells were the norm of A-10 and the Frogfoot they ruled supreme, they could massacre a tank column with ease, first 1-2 tanks with missiles then 1-2 tanks with the gun. It might have been a bug but that`s how i remember that time they tried it out.


Right, but I'm not thinking it should get [KE]

Having it at 2-3AP [HEAT] damage and lowering the "true" RoF wouldn't make it any more OP than the current Mig-27's. But it WOULD give an option for a US equivalent to the Mig-27's, as right now you're stuck with either the A-10 or F-18's while USSR gets 3 ATGM Mig-27's, 1 ATGM Su-27M & 2 Su-25 ATGM versions. ALL of the USSR's ATGM planes have a HEAT gun, and although the F-18 doesn't deserve [HEAT] for it's Vulcan, I believe giving the Harrier a small amount of [HEAT] damage for it's GAU-12/A would offer a nice balance inbetween the A-10 and F-18.

User avatar
another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13128
Joined: Sun 21 Jul 2013 05:18
Location: Hiatus
Contact:

Re: Does GAU-12/A deserve [HEAT]?

Postby another505 » Sat 4 Feb 2017 00:23

We are talking about the equalizer on the 120pt atgm harrier in USA, right?

It really doesnt need it, it is outshined by f18c but as 120pt and out of line 3 per card avail. compare to other atgm plane, it is very decent. But is just that you will always rather take F18c or even a10 before it
Image
Of Salt

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests