If I can't control aircraft formations pls remove missile splash damage

BonghitBandit
Private First-Class

If I can't control aircraft formations pls remove missile splash damage

Postby BonghitBandit » Wed 8 Feb 2017 08:37

Hi there. I know this game relies on distance compression to simulate ranges in a way that can fit on a game board. That said I have a problem with the way that a group of fighters will stick together- this often leads to two or more planes being killed or stunned by a single missile's splash damage. The micro required to fight while making sure closely-matched planes stay apart is relatively very high when compared to the otherwise lacking attention paid to programming the air fight. I don't know if missile aoe is supposed to simulate something in reality, affect playability, or if it is an oversight, but in a system in which a missile flies it maximum range in a few seconds the aoe of the current missile explosion must equate to thousands of feet irl.
For these reasons I ask that we make missiles affect single targets only, or that we can set formations for groups of planes, or that they stay farther away from each other automagically.
What do you all think? Thanks

thenosh
Lieutenant

Re: If I can't control aircraft formations pls remove missile splash damage

Postby thenosh » Wed 8 Feb 2017 08:42

I always thought one missile killing two planes was just bad luck. Normally they fly far enough away from eachother unless you just spam them?
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 8 Feb 2017 08:51

thenosh wrote:I always thought one missile killing two planes was just bad luck. Normally they fly far enough away from each other unless you just spam them?

They have to be pretty close to each other to both get damaged.
Courtesy of KattiValk

BonghitBandit
Private First-Class

Postby BonghitBandit » Wed 8 Feb 2017 08:53

I've noticed they get close enough often if you send them in pairs just because the follow the same waypoints.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 8 Feb 2017 09:08

Don't call in strike aircraft all at once and you'll be fine. That and micro their paths a bit so that they take slightly different paths and it's gravy.

If your aircraft bunch up that much that a SAM can smack more than 1 at a time, its your own fault.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Ribar
Warrant Officer

Postby Ribar » Wed 8 Feb 2017 09:09

I always micro when I have 2 fighter jets, and this is real situation, especially if both of them pursue same target. It always ends up 2 enemy fighters blobbing while my 2 fighters separate and the first one is about a kilometer forward, dies and stuns the enemy while the second one survives and kills both damaged/stunned fighters.

edit: on OP

I like splash damage because it gives people who micro advantage. These little things provide people with better micro advantage over people who want to lean back and just enjoy the game. It's not hard to micro group of planes, just calling them on two different sides of map, or calling them in and splitting their pathway and then rejoining them creates big enough distance in formation for them not to receive splash damage.
Image :mrgreen:

BonghitBandit
Private First-Class

Postby BonghitBandit » Wed 8 Feb 2017 09:33

Ribar wrote:I always micro when I have 2 fighter jets, and this is real situation, especially if both of them pursue same target. It always ends up 2 enemy fighters blobbing while my 2 fighters separate and the first one is about a kilometer forward, dies and stuns the enemy while the second one survives and kills both damaged/stunned fighters.

edit: on OP

I like splash damage because it gives people who micro advantage. These little things provide people with better micro advantage over people who want to lean back and just enjoy the game. It's not hard to micro group of planes, just calling them on two different sides of map, or calling them in and splitting their pathway and then rejoining them creates big enough distance in formation for them not to receive splash damage.

I hear you on that but I think you are adapting to the status quo, but what I'm saying is that the status quo is silly. I would love more depth to the air fight but adding it by way of incomplete programming is what bothers me (which is what I'm assuming is responsible).

On another note if they would make missiles die after flying for a certain time it would unleash fighter tactics and micro because a chasing shot wouldn't catch fleeing enemies unless they were close. What do you think about that?

Ribar
Warrant Officer

Postby Ribar » Wed 8 Feb 2017 09:53

BonghitBandit wrote:I hear you on that but I think you are adapting to the status quo, but what I'm saying is that the status quo is silly. I would love more depth to the air fight but adding it by way of incomplete programming is what bothers me (which is what I'm assuming is responsible).

On another note if they would make missiles die after flying for a certain time it would unleash fighter tactics and micro because a chasing shot wouldn't catch fleeing enemies unless they were close. What do you think about that?

I don't like status quo either, but the air mechanics didn't change much, especially in air warfare since W:ALB.

I like the idea of missiles having time fuse.
But while we're at it, I would prefer that missiles would lose speed after being fired, so by the time it reaches 8-9km it would be significantly slower than at the beginning of flight and with much less maneuverability than the fighter so if enemy fighter turns it shouldn't have problem evading, while if he stays on linear flight path, be it towards the enemy or running away, it would have greater chance of being hit.
Image :mrgreen:

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Wed 8 Feb 2017 11:42

Fade2Gray wrote:Don't call in strike aircraft all at once and you'll be fine. That and micro their paths a bit so that they take slightly different paths and it's gravy.

If your aircraft bunch up that much that a SAM can smack more than 1 at a time, its your own fault.

100% agree.

Desty
Warrant Officer

Postby Desty » Wed 8 Feb 2017 13:44

If one simple click is to much micro for you...
Just click with one plane somewhere to the right or left, wait 1 sec and then you can move them together again without risking splash damage.