What would you do if Eugen hired you to remake every infantry tab from scratch?

Fade2Gray
General

Re: What would you do if Eugen hired you to remake every infantry tab from scratch?

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 14 Feb 2017 01:45

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:I'd make infantry come in small groups based on what transports they deploy in, and allow these groups to form up as larger squads when deployed.

So you could mix 2 groups of 7 Motostrelki from 2 BMP's with a group of 4 man AA from a BTR-D .

You know, even Combat Mission doesn't get that crazy with infantry.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Re: What would you do if Eugen hired you to remake every infantry tab from scratch?

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Tue 14 Feb 2017 01:51

Fade2Gray wrote:
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:I'd make infantry come in small groups based on what transports they deploy in, and allow these groups to form up as larger squads when deployed.

So you could mix 2 groups of 7 Motostrelki from 2 BMP's with a group of 4 man AA from a BTR-D .

You can do stuff like that in MoW, but squads handle like ass in that game. I wouldn't want to start handling individual soliders in Wargame however.

It'd finally end the whole clown car issue, and you could cater squads to your specific needs. Squads might feel more akin to WiC, where even the base infantry had AA and AT.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 14 Feb 2017 02:00

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:

You can do stuff like that in MoW, but squads handle like ass in that game. I wouldn't want to start handling individual soliders in Wargame however.

It'd finally end the whole clown car issue, and you could cater squads to your specific needs. Squads might feel more akin to WiC, where even the base infantry had AA and AT.

It would ironically make it more unrealistic on an organizational level. Base tactical infantry unit IRL is the squad. Splitting that up at wargames scale does not make sense as that is the basic unit they are organized into and train together in. You do not split that unit up and pair them with other units.

WiCs system was total nonsense.
Viker for ingen!

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Tue 14 Feb 2017 02:37

I think the implementation as-is is good, it just needs to be tweaked.

No special forces. Some nations are missing important units. Some units are good for no reason. Stuff like that.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Tue 14 Feb 2017 03:04

I'd also remove most LMGs and add in melee mechanics. Hero units too
Mobile Units Operational :!:

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 14 Feb 2017 06:34

Infantry just needs a "facing" bonus. If two squads, A and B, are shooting it out with each other, normal damage. If squad C comes around and flanks squad A however, A takes higher damage from C, as well as increased moral damage.

Of course, I'd also tweak the fuck out of air and artillery to not make them such panic buttons. Infantry brawls shouldn't be decided within 5 seconds by a mortar barrage.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Fodder
Sergeant Major

Postby Fodder » Tue 14 Feb 2017 09:20

Fix models, animations, and inconsistencies.
Make stats lean more towards authenticity.
More naval transports.
QUAD wrote:add in melee mechanics. Hero units too
:lol:
Last edited by Fodder on Tue 14 Feb 2017 16:51, edited 5 times in total.

MARDER
Command Sergeant Major

Postby MARDER » Tue 14 Feb 2017 09:28

Inf can:

Dig fox holes. Fast dig small hole you lie in and you get a concealment bonus and a cover bonus from the direction the fox hole is facing, also aim and moral bonus and it takes short amount of time to dig but your much more exposed while doing this.

Dig tranches. Much bigger cover and concealment bonus Loooong time to dig and reinforce the tranches. They give a 360° cover and concealment bonus.

Reinforce houses. Inf gets cover concealment and more fiere resistance bonus, takes time to prepare inf is more visibel and vanurbel to attack while doing this.

Some inf can swim. Depends on how heavy the stuff they carry is.

Flanking. 4 sides front left, right, back. Respons time and damage taken and given depend form what side they shoot at and be shoot from. Reaction time depends on doctrine training and vet levels to each threat.

Inf gets:

MMG squads. Support squad with a LMG or MMG suppressing and assisting the platoon.

Mortar Squads. Support squad with a Light mortars or Heavy mortars suppressing and assisting the platoon.

Medic Squads. Support that only heals inf no ammo no fuel. Only health.

Command Squads. Platoon leaders, help with response time to threats provide over watch and so forth.

More weapons, Grandes, sniper/DMR rifles, under slung grenade launchers and and and all the stuff they carry around.

Also general change is that you cant call in one squad but you do it in whole platoon levels, in this scale of battle one squad is illogical and stupid.

Also in general I would put a retreat button in so you can invective and almost dead squads evac from map if they close enaugth to the map border. Thats for all units. The enemy gets the points for killed units but you send them off map so you cant call them any more in but wont loose the whole amount of points.

In general I would also add a command delay in the game, the further you away from a command unit the longer it takes for units to respond. So a close Command unit provides fast response but the danger is gets destroyed and you loose a littel time while your orders getting executed.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 14 Feb 2017 09:39

I'm not really very keen on going more granular or micro-intensive in the infantry system and I feel like most of the reason it's being suggested is to stop clowncars. So:

Normal squad size is 8, Marines are 12, small teams are 4, ATGMs and suchlike remain at 2. Then adjust the HE/s of everything in the game down so that Time To Kill remains about the same. That makes a load of transports more sensible and, let's be honest, looks way neater. 12, 8, 4, 2. Additionally, 2 man ATGM teams are now more survivable against rifle fire but will still be blown away by a tank shell.

QUAD wrote:I'd also remove most LMGs and add in melee mechanics. Hero units too

If we're getting melee mechanics I'm pretty sure we can dispense with all firearms for Militia and just give them pointy sticks. :D
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Tue 14 Feb 2017 10:05

Clown cars don't look nice but they're not a big deal, gameplay-wise. The only reason we have most of them is that Eugen didn't want to model cargo trucks with machine guns for some reason, and also to break the Mi-8 monotony.

The biggest deal in infantry, aside from silly SF supermen, is that some nations have some units and some nations don't for... no reason at all, really.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”