Increase cluster bomb fall speed

HrcAk47
Colonel

Re: Increase cluster bomb fall speed

Postby HrcAk47 » Tue 21 Mar 2017 20:25

chykka wrote:You could increase the AoE for Cluster munitions, however that may actually increase it for artillery too which may make Cluster bombers more useful. The best use for cluster bombers which is really situational is hitting vehicles without killing your infantry.

I don't like the idea of them killing tanks in one hit, like a single MiG21 bomber from Soviet. However they are hitting top armour and should at least force it to retreat.

Soviet MiG-21 cluster bomber uses 500 kg clusters. If nothing, it should cover more ground than a 280 kg standard Blufor BL-755.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Tue 21 Mar 2017 20:57

Increased drop speed for clusters would indeed be very nice in an ideal world i would see them as a halfway house between LGB's and 30 AP missiles, i think that would be a preferable solution to buffing the AP further which has already happened once, it would give them a different and interesting niche to ATGM planes rocking 2+ 30 ap missiles.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

zeeyoo
Corporal

Postby zeeyoo » Fri 24 Mar 2017 03:50

jonas165 wrote:I recently had a situation were a cluster bomb 'targeted' a vehicle. I let the plane attack the vehicle and not a position, so after the bomb was dropped, the usual dropping animation occurred, but the explosion was at the place at which the vehicle was, even though it had moved quite a bit away form where the bombs were dropped. Can anyone confirm this?

It happens same on HE bomb. with A-6A Intruder, it's Snakeye "guided" onto the moving vehicle when attacking the VHC's tag not fire pos. I think all air bombs' accuracy have any relationship with it's direct hit chance against target when using the target's unit tag to order.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 24 Mar 2017 15:51

HrcAk47 wrote:Soviet MiG-21 cluster bomber uses 500 kg clusters. If nothing, it should cover more ground than a 280 kg standard Blufor BL-755.

Depends more on the number of bomblets.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Sat 25 Mar 2017 00:15

Xeno426 wrote:
HrcAk47 wrote:Soviet MiG-21 cluster bomber uses 500 kg clusters. If nothing, it should cover more ground than a 280 kg standard Blufor BL-755.

Depends more on the number of bomblets.

Typical AT dumb bomblet for general purpose clustering, let's compare oranges to oranges. PTAB-1M (x268) vs. Mk.1 (x147).

Partibrejker
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Partibrejker » Thu 30 Mar 2017 12:12

This is actually a good idea, good thinking!

+1
Spoiler : :

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 30 Mar 2017 17:54

Why should cluster bombs fall faster than slick iron bombs, though?
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 30 Mar 2017 18:47

Xeno426 wrote:Why should cluster bombs fall faster than slick iron bombs, though?

It's more about how both types of bombs should be falling at the same rate. 9.81 m/s^2. Besides, not many iron bombs are slick.

Drag should not be a thing that's simulated here, since it is not simulated on plane loads (the Peace Pheasant flies and turns like an ASF Phantom II).

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Thu 30 Mar 2017 20:34

Xeno426 wrote:Why should cluster bombs fall faster than slick iron bombs, though?

They don't have to. In spite of the actual topic title, the suggestion put forth is:
Pleb Squasher wrote: it wouldn't hurt to decrease their fall time to make their effects more difficult to avoid.

So, why not make cluster bombers fly at a lower altitude and drop at the same speed to achieve a shorter drop time? You might get some weird trajectories or arguments about realism but when I can use 20km of fuel to move 2000m which is visibly 80x the length of an M1 or whatever the conversion factors are I think we can pretty much dispense with relative distances in Wargame having any bearing on realism.

Alternatively, speed up the fall rate of all bombs, it's not like HE is currently superb and napalm is very seldom used. As a third alternative, were there enough ballute or parachute retarded bombs about the place to be able to rename all of the HE bombs and then speed up cluster bombs (relatively slowing the retarded HE bombs)?

HrcAk47 wrote:Drag should not be a thing that's simulated here, since it is not simulated on plane loads (the Peace Pheasant flies and turns like an ASF Phantom II).

I look forward to the new AGM implementation ;)

More seriously, that's a better reason to model drag than it is to have magic dragless bombs except when they're not dragless and the other aircraft loadouts are dragless except when they're fired they get drag back so they have a reasonable max range.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 30 Mar 2017 20:43

FrangibleCover wrote:
HrcAk47 wrote:Drag should not be a thing that's simulated here, since it is not simulated on plane loads (the Peace Pheasant flies and turns like an ASF Phantom II).

I look forward to the new AGM implementation ;).

I was talking about the F-4D Peace Pheasant I, with 25x Mk.82. Fat bird with a lot of eggs.

In general, maybe the next game could look into implementing "low level bombers", that would be targetable through "anti-helicopter" range, and thus less vulnerable to heavy AA, but more to "anti-helo" AA. Something like this.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”