10vs10 game as a possible interactive story telling device

webboy_998
Staff Sergeant

10vs10 game as a possible interactive story telling device

Postby webboy_998 » Thu 27 Apr 2017 04:48

inspired by recent games such as Battlefield 1 and Steel Division 44, combined with my recent interest in WRD dedicated server automation script, I sort of made a quite rudimentary version of a somewhat story driven multi-player experience.

so the basic idea is to combine map rotation and restricting players selection of playable decks, depending on the outcome of each battle, the map and its setting will rotate accordingly. Like a series of battles, the result of which will affect the location of battleground.(well, no shit :P )

the scenario I've implemented so far is to have a 10vs10 match with limited number of possible country/decks with randomly rotating maps.
so on the server CTM - the Second Korea War:
the server allows on the Blufor side 4x South Korea, 3x US, 1x Japan, 1x Commonwealth and 1x Nato
On the Redfor side there are 3x Red Dragon, 2x China, 3x North Korea and 2x USSR
Players on the server are able to choose decks from nations and coalitions mentioned above. If the spot for a certain country is occupied, e.g. if the only commonwealth spot has been taken by player A, the player B will have to play another country, until player A gives up his spot(by leaving the server or changing the side).

so the main reason for me to be this shameless to do this kind of self-promotion is to catch DEV's attention for them to answer a thread I posted on the Dedicated Server forum: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=59822

Is it possible for the server program to know which side won the previous battle?

The short term goal for me is to improve the code quality of the automation script and the long term goal is to implement the change of maps depending on the result of previous battle, thus creating a sort of tug of war.
Also depending on the result of the previous battle either further limiting or freeing up the usage certain countries or certain specialized decks.

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Re: 10vs10 game as a possible interactive story telling device

Postby damoj » Sat 29 Apr 2017 18:00

no, peter molyneux.

10v10s are cancer, nothing more, nothing less.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sat 29 Apr 2017 22:52

damoj wrote:10v10s are cancer, nothing more, nothing less.

there's people with opinions other than your own, and no one was asking you for it this time

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Sun 30 Apr 2017 10:03

urogard wrote:

there's people with opinions other than your own, and no one was asking you for it this time

Pretty sure that when you make a public thread on a public forum, you are indirectly asking pretty much everyone.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sun 30 Apr 2017 11:22

Razzmann wrote:
urogard wrote:

Pretty sure that when you make a public thread on a public forum, you are indirectly asking pretty much everyone.

Ok, please help me out on this one then ...
The thread has only one single question asked, the question which damoj was responding to.

OP wrote:Is it possible for the server program to know which side won the previous battle?

For the love of god, I can simply not find a single mention about 10v10 anywhere in the question, so I don't understand how voicing one's opinion about 10v10 games would be in any way relevant in answering the question. I must be blind or something, could you help me out?

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sun 30 Apr 2017 11:29

webboy_998 wrote:Is it possible for the server program to know which side won the previous battle?

Does the server save the replay anywhere?
On first glance I couldn't find any easy access to information about which side scored how many points, but maybe it is possible.

One guy did the qReplay with which you can look at some basic information from replays, so it is trivial to parse some stuff from them since the initial information is in simple plaintext, however the information you need isn't there.

realfakealex
Lieutenant

Postby realfakealex » Sun 30 Apr 2017 13:53

urogard wrote:
webboy_998 wrote:Is it possible for the server program to know which side won the previous battle?

yes, 10v10 should have a copy from the last time I hosted a custom one afik

webboy_998
Staff Sergeant

Postby webboy_998 » Sun 30 Apr 2017 15:42

urogard wrote:

On first glance I couldn't find any easy access to information about which side scored how many points, but maybe it is possible.

One guy did the qReplay with which you can look at some basic information from replays, so it is trivial to parse some stuff from them since the initial information is in simple plaintext, however the information you need isn't there.

that's a fantastic idea!

I can't wait to get my hands on those replay files. The only down side I can think of right now, is that the replay files tend to get quite big after an hour of battle, on the other hand, reading a 16Mbyte file on a SSD shouldn't take an eternity.

update:
I didn't read your post entirely I was over enthusiastic about this possibility but just as you said, the plaintext part is the initial information about players in the game but the actually interesting part is hidden encoded.
Last edited by webboy_998 on Sun 30 Apr 2017 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

webboy_998
Staff Sergeant

Postby webboy_998 » Sun 30 Apr 2017 16:05

damoj wrote:no, peter molyneux.

10v10s are cancer, nothing more, nothing less.

Peter Molyneux is an awesome dude.
Godus was failed but Theme Hospital (I know he didn't work on theme hospital but it's the spiritual successor and it was made by Bullfrog ) and Dungeon Keeper and Black & White were simply great games.

Whether 10vs10 is cancer.
Well, I probably wouldn't have bought this game and ALB and WEE and spent nearly 3000 hours on this game if it wasn't for the cancerous 10vs10 mode.

But let me tell you this again, it's not about 10vs10 game.
A dedicated server is a persistent system that you can manipulate as you wish. I can also host a game with a dedicated server that is a 1vs1 match, because of its persistence a dedicated server can offer many possibilities of having more varied game play instead of simple 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 and so on.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sun 30 Apr 2017 18:42

webboy_998 wrote:update:
I didn't read your post entirely I was over enthusiastic about this possibility but just as you said, the plaintext part is the initial information about players in the game but the actually interesting part is hidden encoded.

which is the problem about extracting data, there's no way to stick an observer from the server perspective into the game like one can do on warcraft III servers to handle parsing of data (too bad eugen didn't think of spectators).
adding another 1 line of plaintext which would contain end game results would also have been highly beneficial but again that's eugen coding department.

I'm not sure it's feasible to do what you want, unless there's some way to run a light-weight simulation of the replay on the side quickly.