Eryx range

throwaway
Lieutenant

Eryx range

Postby throwaway » Thu 18 May 2017 12:15

I think 1050m and good AP is a bit too strong a combination. Infantry shouldn't be able to deny such large areas. I'm sure you all know how far eryx reaches, but here's a pic anyway http://i.imgur.com/zbm3oGW.jpg

The only objective argument against it is that it makes brownings unsuitable for siege, which is their best use. But that's not the main issue to me, rather it's that the weapon generally makes forests way more dangerous and hard to avoid. It would be cute as a unicorn, but at this point nearly half the factions in the game have it.

IDK, I just feel that 875m is already great at reducing the positions you can use/angles you can push without getting RPGd, and the jump to 1050m makes that a lot worse and infantry shouldn't be that capable. Thoughts?

nuke92
Lieutenant

Re: Eryx range

Postby nuke92 » Thu 18 May 2017 15:53

Eryx is that good though. It stays super accurate at max range even against moving targets. That's why it deserves this much range (or effective range as in dead accurate until the cable snaps). For comparison: -200m and +10% acc and you have Vampyr, + it doesn't care if you loose los in the last milisecond. It's a big deal, like easy shot vs miracle.
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017
"ALB added planes, RD added ships, WG4 will add Ekranoplans" - Warchat™ August 2017

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Thu 18 May 2017 16:39

Eryx range is definitly overmodeled. Was originally done to balance out canada and norway who lacked ATGMs and then unintentionally spilled over to yugo.
Viker for ingen!

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Thu 18 May 2017 16:42

nuke92 wrote:Eryx is that good though. It stays super accurate at max range even against moving targets. That's why it deserves this much range (or effective range as in dead accurate until the cable snaps). For comparison: -200m and +10% acc and you have Vampyr, + it doesn't care if you loose los in the last milisecond. It's a big deal, like easy shot vs miracle.

Yeah, it's both realistic and bad for gameplay, so that's a problem in limiting the possible changes.

Vampyr is just short of strictly worse, losing los practically does not happen, and the extra accuracy probably shrinks to less than 5% after range scaling. But again, this isn't about minor stat differences, it's about how much more effective 1050m is at area denial. It's hard to see from the stat sheet how much more the possibility of eryx flankers restricts vehicle movement.

Was eryx good before the speed buff? That's a potential change to reverse as long as it doesn't make it utterly useless, and it's gonna make the risk of losing los an actual factor.

orcbuster wrote:Eryx range is definitly overmodeled. Was originally done to balance out canada and norway who lacked ATGMs and then unintentionally spilled over to yugo.

Or maybe it's not realistic! Spicy :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by throwaway on Thu 18 May 2017 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby XanderTuron » Thu 18 May 2017 16:42

All infantry AT has artificially increased range. IRL, most LAWs ITF were not effective against moving vehicles outside of 300 metres, the more modern ones could reach out as far as 500 metres. Meanwhile, you have the Eryx which is capable of hitting a moving target at 600 metres (its maximum range). Therefore, since all other infantry AT has increased range over historic capabilities, the Eryx must have one range increment over them in order to represent that it does have greater effective range.
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Thu 18 May 2017 16:47

Eryx max range is around 600m and that was around the original range in game when introduced in ALB as well.
Viker for ingen!

nuke92
Lieutenant

Postby nuke92 » Thu 18 May 2017 17:17

You either downscale everything shoulder launched and upscale ATGMs (like it's supposed to be) or scale rpgs and Eryx relative to their effective range and guided is a straight line while unguided is a sharp decline in terms of accuracy per distance.
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017
"ALB added planes, RD added ships, WG4 will add Ekranoplans" - Warchat™ August 2017

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 18 May 2017 18:55

Pretty much everything has a "magical 400 m" attached to it - exceptions being RPG-16, LRAC F1 (which operate at their IRL range), and the RPG-29 being buffed only a bit (should be 1050m).

>tfw base VDV could have been shooting their RPG-16 to 1225 m had it followed the guidelines for other weapons.

At any rate, the balance of armor to infantry is pretty okay as is - infantry should be the king of the battlefield.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Thu 18 May 2017 19:14

HrcAk47 wrote:At any rate, the balance of armor to infantry is pretty okay as is - infantry should be the king of the battlefield.

Do decks without 1050m weapons - US national, USSR, NSWP - struggle to get their infantry winning against armor? I think the pendulum is pretty comfortably on infantry's side and limiting 1050m range weapons won't give armor the upper hand.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Thu 18 May 2017 19:49

You are just salty because you got rekt by Eryx))))

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”