Bringing the Frontline System to Wargame

Fade2Gray
General

Re: Bringing the Frontline System to Wargame

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 25 Jul 2017 07:23

steppewolf wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
There are other game mechanics that need to be added to a WG , much more valuable than this.

Such as?

There were tons of threads on this theme. 5 examples, from the top of my head, suggested by many others, that would be a priority anytime vs the visible frontline:

Revamped urban combat, buildings, and infantry mechanics.
A rethink of how naval is used e.g. keep only fluvial ships on same map with ground units, completely rework naval stuff (Cold War without navies as well is hard to be conceived) and use it as an off map support
Multiplayer campaigns
Adjust speed to slowest unit order to all units
Smoke launchers on tanks and IFVs

1. mmkay
2. Death to naval, period.
3. A version of the Cavedog Boneyards Galactic War would be nifty. I've suggested this repeatedly.
4. Something I've asked for as well.
5. Widely asked for.

Still, the front line system is something already coded and wouldn't be hard to bring into Wargame, where as all of those are entirely something else.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

R3d Sh4mbala
Sergeant Major

Postby R3d Sh4mbala » Tue 25 Jul 2017 07:40

Fade2Grey.

I was reading this, and yes both SD Frontline concept has its ups and downs. Kind of Problematic.

Can make rushing a problem. [Yay or Nay is still out.] Also can telegraph a basic direction of a strategy.

But what if we get the best of two worlds?

Break Zones down into smaller ones? So limited CV become important in placement or coordination? [Think older Hex based table top games. Where objective/territory control gave you points for reinforcement.]

Or put the Frontline Function into mini-map.

Any consideration of EE different modes of game play, including zone capture. Where controlling multiple small points is important.

WiC has its value, I think the drop into zone and cap or cancel is too easy. WiC you had to coordinate to capture a cap.

Its intriguing, but WG doesn't have some sort of intelligence mechanic that forces a player to look at reports.

R3d Sh4mbala
Sergeant Major

Postby R3d Sh4mbala » Tue 25 Jul 2017 07:46

Actually, might I add something.

Look at WarThunders new World at War mode.

Or Super Power II 3D world. Or Planetary Annilation.

Probably that is the future of RTS, where control and planning play huge roles, as well as important localized battles.

I was kind of bummed out that the multiplay campaign functions were not allowed in WG:RD, nor a concept of VS. Campaign.

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Mon 14 Aug 2017 10:19

You could give each CV a zone of control that expands and contracts depending on enemy proximity, with point value dependent on size. Basically sectors like we have now, but you pick where to put them and they can change size.

Units in friendly sectors could get a morale bonus, encouraging C2. Sectors between opponents could overlap, which is when serious fighting would take place.

This entire idea would screw with current victory conditions, unless there was a pre-set sector on the map to fight on as well. Player made sectors functioning only to provide C2 and CP (economic bonus) would be neat. Hell, different CV types could even make different sized and CP yielding sectors.
BUFF USA

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Mon 14 Aug 2017 11:08

steppewolf wrote:CV sniping and helo rushes are realities of modern warfare. US used since Vietnam Air Cavalry/helo airborne big units and targeting enemy HQs with SOF and helicopters it is a reality of modern battlefield.

Having vehicles and weapons that can punch at a much longer distance than WW2 ones it makes superfluous to think a military conflict such as that with a fixed frontline that one can see it/feel is.

Moreover, with that line you are kind of forced to cover the entire width of map, you cannot sneak anything behind enemy lines etc.

There are other game mechanics that need to be added to a WG , much more valuable than this.

As long as conventional but advanced arty is more accurate than low level dumb bombs and almost as accurate as LGB I have to say CV sniping is an issue in WG...