The blessing of the missing stats --> quick lobbies

Buregdzya
Sergeant Major

The blessing of the missing stats --> quick lobbies

Postby Buregdzya » Thu 17 Aug 2017 11:51

Yesterday I fired up RD again after a longer time of abscence and it happened to be at a moment of a Eugen server crash. That made it impossible to retrieve the stats of any player.

That was such a blessing. Never in my life did the lobbies fill so fast like yesterday night. Also the teams were more or less balanced - at least balanced enaugh to get some kind of a fun game and not faggy pubstumping.

So, that's that: concealing stats is a major blessing for the game. I'd even go so far and claim that stat information should be retroactively removed entirely. It majorly contributes in a good way to Red Dragon.

Crotou
Colonel

Re: The blessing of the missing stats --> quick lobbies

Postby Crotou » Thu 17 Aug 2017 11:59

It's the best improvement to the game since ages.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:03

I disagree. Never has it been so easy to stack lobbies with good players and never has it been more frustrating to loose a battle, because a green doesn't even manage to hold their worth for 5 minutes. Its basically the same deal with SD, where you always gamble that the random you and your mate accept is capable of playing or quickly looses everything and quits.

I'd rather wait a little longer than end games after 10 minutes, because a random doesn't even know the basics yet. Please bring the view stats option back.

ITz_GERMAN_stRATig
Sergeant

Postby ITz_GERMAN_stRATig » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:12

Also there are a lot of new players that will simply ignore the no in a "no noobs" title

Buregdzya
Sergeant Major

Postby Buregdzya » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:12

Markenzwieback wrote:I'd rather wait a little longer than end games after 10 minutes, because a random doesn't even know the basics yet. Please bring the view stats option back.

Maybe you were just so lucky or, rather, I was so damned unlocky but I usually wait for literally 20-30 minutes only to fill one lobby that would eventually please every princess in the Red Dragon universe.

No, in my experience stat-blindness is a good thing.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:20

Its not about having only top notch elite 1% idiots on my team or pleasing the whiners. Honestly couldn't care less. Heck, I saw a guy with only a couple of 100 games and mediocre WL ration remove a general ranked player within 10 minutes of a game. No helo cheese involved.

The only thing that I don't want in my games is complete greens that don't know how to play yet. And for that, the view stats button is useful.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Thu 17 Aug 2017 15:59

Markenzwieback wrote:The only thing that I don't want in my games is complete greens that don't know how to play yet. And for that, the view stats button is useful.

If only everyone would behave like you ...

The two groups, which for some reason appear to be a serious majority, are the people who only play on the side with better players because they suck (and are apparently too dumb to learn from their mistakes and get better) or they are decent/good (but are such pussies that they are scared of anything remotely resembling a challenge).

Unfortunately these thoughts devolve into a discussion about a matchmaker and which modes this matchmaker should support. Because everytime this comes up the two major issues that force a deadlock are:
#1 deciding which gamemode (conquest/destruction) is less broken [or if a mixed mode could be used instead]
#2 should the time limit be short (40 minutes) or longer (60-80 minutes) or even NTL

And obviously to prevent splitting the playerbase into absurd tiny subgroups, a normal matchmaker would need to be able to adequately address both issues, because a lot of people who absolutely want conquest would most likely never even touch the matchmaker if it only offered pure destruction and vice versa.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Thu 17 Aug 2017 16:43

Markenzwieback wrote:I'd rather wait a little longer than end games after 10 minutes, because a random doesn't even know the basics yet. Please bring the view stats option back.

My experience (with my mates) in Red Dragon with lobbies :
1) We try to go in an already open lobby. 9 out of 10 times, we get kicked because our stats looks too high for the hosting team/guy.

2) We create a lobby and wait for players. We don't care if we are going to face good or bad players. We wait 20-30 minutes while seeing something like 50 people coming in then going out after checking our stats and/or their allies' stats. Finally, the game is launched. Half the times, the game ends in 5 minutes because one guy randomly quits.

If you remove the View stats button, you still have a risk to play loosy 5 minutes shitty games (with random quitters/stomped noobs) but at least, you don't wait half an hour because princesses check everyone's stats.

To finish, the truth is that public lobbies are a very bad thing in terms of multiplayer experience. A real matchmaker with all quality of life options is what Wargame and SD need.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Thu 17 Aug 2017 17:16

Crotou wrote:To finish, the truth is that public lobbies are a very bad thing in terms of multiplayer experience. A real matchmaker with all quality of life options is what Wargame and SD need.

Yeah a new match maker would be ideal, however lobbies don't really hinder a multiplayer experience. Most RTS games, or multiplayer games in general use some sort of custom matches anyway.
However there are probably reasons why the current match maker is underpopulated. Fact is you can see how many are searching which is why it doesn't ever match based on elo if one is been waiting a little while.

Lobbies would be more quiet if match making let you que up with friends, have more choice in maps/ a veto / preference option. Also would make for less goofy settings having a cramped 4v4 on a 1v1 map with people starting the game with cluster artillery.

I imagine a 10v10 server matchmaker would get way more use. However every server has a different host so, not sure how that would work if it works differently.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Thu 17 Aug 2017 17:36

Crotou wrote:If you remove the View stats button, you still have a risk to play loosy 5 minutes shitty games (with random quitters/stomped noobs) but at least, you don't wait half an hour because princesses check everyone's stats.

This is the bottom line that ultimately describes the situation best.

Now people check stats and still you end up with shit games with extremely high frequency.
Button is removed, same risk remains, but ultimately the game experience improves, if not ingame but most certainly in the lobby.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”