Increasing player base in WG4

Nathan des Lessings
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Increasing player base in WG4

Postby Nathan des Lessings » Sat 16 Sep 2017 21:24

urogard wrote:
Nathan des Lessings wrote:I'd like it, if they stay with the SD 44 system of mapcontrol instead of the zones in WrD.

No thank you, letting enemy know where my units are without the enemy even needing recon units is a bullshit idea to begin with. No need to promote it any further than in that one experiment.

What they should have done instead is expand all zones to cover 100% of the map, simply uniformly expand sizes of all zones until the whole map is covered so every spot on the map belongs to some zone.
Makes pushing a lot more effective and completely removes the whole issue about cv sniping.

But still CVs will be necessary to control them and you are still trying to push sb. out of that zone, which would be a lot harder when the zones are that large.
Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.

Putin187
Sergeant

Postby Putin187 » Sat 16 Sep 2017 22:52

My opinion about unlocks: there should be either cosmetic only unlocks or not at all. The learning curve help by unlocking is solely singleplayer thing, e.g. you advance through campaign missions and get access to new and better assets with some storytelling to it. And should not have place in multiplayer.
Take on strategic responsibilities on the way to make the USSR great again! #makeUSSRgreatagain

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Sat 16 Sep 2017 23:27

Unlocks keep casuals playing. IE in a PvE mode you unlock crazy OP and fun stuff that's absent in PvP. (Abrams recon or Spetnaz with Vampyr and sniper rifles, stuff like that.) I'm basically proposing to split MP in two like Halo 5: Guardians, and have a great campaign that shows people how to play correctly.

Whoever said better sound is gimmicky: why? It makes it more intense and fun.
BUFF USA

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Sun 17 Sep 2017 14:50

Nathan des Lessings wrote:But still CVs will be necessary to control them and you are still trying to push sb. out of that zone, which would be a lot harder when the zones are that large.

No it wouldn't be any harder, it would simply take more time.

Except unlike right now where after capturing certain zones there's absolutely no reason to push further because the next sector is too far out, the moment you'd push someone out of a zone for good, you'd be immediately be able to contest another zone.

Fighting for every inch of the map would finally be a thing, rather than now where it focuses on areas of very limited size, not only allowing but promoting cheesy tactics like blind arty fire.

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Sun 17 Sep 2017 14:52

QUAD wrote:Unlocks keep casuals playing. IE in a PvE mode you unlock crazy OP and fun stuff that's absent in PvP. (Abrams recon or Spetnaz with Vampyr and sniper rifles, stuff like that.) I'm basically proposing to split MP in two like Halo 5: Guardians, and have a great campaign that shows people how to play correctly.

Whoever said better sound is gimmicky: why? It makes it more intense and fun.

Unlocks also prevent people from even starting because it takes too long (in other words longer than 0 minutes) to get access to everything that everyone uses to crush you.

As putin said, either split it completely between SP/MP or don't bother. EUG stated clearly and directly that unlocks as they were done in EE are not coming back.

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby XanderTuron » Sun 17 Sep 2017 17:57

Why on Earth does anybody ever think that unlocks are a good thing in an RTS? Must the lessons of Command and Conquer: Tiberium Twilight be relearned the hard way?
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Sun 17 Sep 2017 19:49

XanderTuron wrote:Why on Earth does anybody ever think that unlocks are a good thing in an RTS? Must the lessons of Command and Conquer: Tiberium Twilight be relearned the hard way?

The fact that tiberium twilight did it is already proof that people don't learn.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Sun 17 Sep 2017 20:29

I like the unlocks for the campaign, if the whole campaign is to be considered a tutorial for multiplayer.

But when somebody is to make a MP deck, everything must be available.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby XanderTuron » Sun 17 Sep 2017 20:56

HrcAk47 wrote:I like the unlocks for the campaign, if the whole campaign is to be considered a tutorial for multiplayer.

But when somebody is to make a MP deck, everything must be available.

Pretty much this.
If you look at almost any RTS game that has been made, as you progress through the campaign, more units and stuff are made available to you. However, when you play multiplayer, everything is available to the player immediately so that the only imbalance between new and old players is skill and experience with the game and not some useful unit that is a linchpin for whatever faction.
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 17 Sep 2017 21:12

Yeah, if I were a new player coming into Wargame: QUADratic Function with an unlock system then I'd be very annoyed (dare I say demoralized?) when I get beaten in my first match by someone using units I don't have. This doesn't even necessarily have to be better units than I have, because as a new player I'd be terrible anyway and lose to Danish Support. If you lock things away by nation then you're going to have reduced sales in the locked areas. For player retention the last thing that Wargame needs is an unlock system or any other stupid gimmick like that.

The first thing that it needs is a help with the learning curve. A good tutorial, a skirmish AI that's not pants on head retarded (and if what that means is going back to ALB style limited AI decks that are easier to code then that's the price we pay) and a welcoming community that's happy to take noobs under their wing. Two of those things we can't do without another Wargame, but the last piece of the puzzle is on me and on you.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan