Been away , can anyone TLDR the latest developments with WG?

nuke92
Lieutenant

Re: Been away , can anyone TLDR the latest developments with WG?

Postby nuke92 » Wed 8 Nov 2017 22:56

there's nothing more to add, we had land forces, aircraft and ships.
we had all interesting nations added.
we had everything from the 80s and 90s up to 1995, the 70s were just Nam and 60s unexplored territory with shity atgms and choppers.
the engine is not suited for modern warfare besides the Longbow.

to sum everything up what was said today :cry:
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017
"ALB added planes, RD added ships, WG4 will add Ekranoplans" - Warchat™ August 2017

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Wed 8 Nov 2017 23:12

Yes, the community is to blame for everything. Nothing else was at fault and Eugen didn't repeat the same mistakes they made during Wargame: Red Dragon development with Steel Division.

Man I love monocausal explanations for a problem. Makes everything so much easier.

Scheintot887
Corporal

Postby Scheintot887 » Thu 7 Dec 2017 13:18

Darkstar387 wrote:Based on things I've read lately, I don;t think Eugen has any desire to develop a new Wargame, and I can't blame them. The amount of flak they took while supporting this game was unbelievable... I've never seen such an agonizing amount of salt. I love the wargame series, but this community became toxic and ruined it for the developers, effectively beheading the idea of Wargame 4.
Its a damn shame, this is a great game, there are simply none like it. Eugen crafted a masterpiece, I'd glady shell out cash for continued development.

I think thats bullshit.
Actually the feedback have been alright and most people were happy about any updates the last few years. I think whats realy happening is that the focus can only be on one game for them because of ressources. All their games are niches and my only criticism is to even work HARDER and CLOSER with the community than it has been done before. Especially because their games ARE nishes.
IL2 BOX developers for example are working realy close with their community. Should be the same here (even if it is not bad), people have no idea what is happening in the future or if WG4 is even coming at all.
The only problem around the community is that in my opinion to many players are criticising elements of the game which make Wargame to what it is. It takes time and intelligence to counter units because you have to find a way to actually do it. Stop posting it on forums after you got killed by unit X before not thinking about what you may did wrong.

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Fri 8 Dec 2017 00:13

Scheintot887 wrote: I think whats realy happening is that the focus can only be on one game for them because of ressources.

All we need are balance patches. This is work that can be done by one person. Heck, give me steam credentials to deploy .ndfs to all players and I or any motivated modder could do it. For a year, FLX was maintaining the game by himself (I believe also running changes through MM for approval?). How many devs does eugen have? If they have two guys total, then yeah, sparing one to patch WRD is not viable because of resources.

Scheintot887
Corporal

Postby Scheintot887 » Fri 8 Dec 2017 18:42

throwaway wrote:
Scheintot887 wrote: I think whats realy happening is that the focus can only be on one game for them because of ressources.

All we need are balance patches. This is work that can be done by one person. Heck, give me steam credentials to deploy .ndfs to all players and I or any motivated modder could do it. For a year, FLX was maintaining the game by himself (I believe also running changes through MM for approval?). How many devs does eugen have? If they have two guys total, then yeah, sparing one to patch WRD is not viable because of resources.

I get what you mean and appreciate your skills but there is often more than just ressources. Also the core idea behind the game and licenses are a bottleneck in terms of editing the game by community members. May they're listening to the community and compromising features and units but on the other hand the game is not a open-source project. That would be different with mod tools (which I always love, because I love the biggest possibilities and availability on content). On the other hand mod tools have one weak spot in my opinion which is splitting the community into pieces. Some players might prefer mod A, some mod B and so on and thats a split for a game which is a nishe AND has the focus on MP PvP. Good and bad at the same time and I say again, I love community mods. Big fan of the good old Operation Flashpoint (2001) and other games too.

So even if they have a lot of developers it takes time & ressources (in terms of time = money, company perspective) and it might be not that easy as it looks from the outside.