MiG-29 Loadouts

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Re: MiG-29 Loadouts

Postby Steamfunk » Thu 28 Dec 2017 16:12

No RWR.
BLUE planes.

Pick one.

What 505 is saying is that the MiG-29 can use the IRST to track targets without switching on the radar. It could also mean an increase in base accuracy since there wouldn't be much opportunity for countermeasures.

The MiG-29M was supposed to carry a laser designator under the fuselage but this was shelved in favour of the Su-27IB or Su-34 as it is now. There is one attached to the IRST but that faces forward and is therefore unsuitable for LGBs. It can use the KAB-500Kr and Kh-31, or anything else in the Soviet inventory.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Thu 28 Dec 2017 16:15

Markenzwieback wrote:No RWR.
BLUE planes.

Pick one.

Is IRST, RWR is unable to pick up against it
The current NK Mig29 is using IR missiles only.
Of Salt

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Thu 28 Dec 2017 16:30

Steamfunk wrote:
No RWR.
BLUE planes.

Pick one.

What 505 is saying is that the MiG-29 can use the IRST to track targets without switching on the radar. It could also mean an increase in base accuracy since there wouldn't be much opportunity for countermeasures.

The MiG-29M was supposed to carry a laser designator under the fuselage but this was shelved in favour of the Su-27IB or Su-34 as it is now. There is one attached to the IRST but that faces forward and is therefore unsuitable for LGBs. It can use the KAB-500Kr and Kh-31, or anything else in the Soviet inventory.

yes, thanks for explaining. Though IRST would probably make missile range shorter. Higher accuracy/less range?
Well.. tv guided bombs are basically LGB ingame, and i just call them LGB in general since it gets the point across.
Of Salt

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 28 Dec 2017 19:03

another505 wrote:
Steamfunk wrote:
No RWR.
BLUE planes.

Pick one.

yes, thanks for explaining. Though IRST would probably make missile range shorter. Higher accuracy/less range?
Well.. tv guided bombs are basically LGB ingame, and i just call them LGB in general since it gets the point across.

I know my way around IRST and usage for A2A missiles, just messing with you (after you used RWR). :P

And while you are correct that the tracking with IRST isn't located by the tracked aircraft, missile firing will be by defensive systems. At least the more modern (1980s+) ones. Hence the accuracy bonus is questionable, because you can employ the same countermeassures as with regularly fired heat-seeking A2A missiles.

In practice, the MiG-29 IRST was pretty shit (at least on export versions). To the point where the West-German air force didn't make use of it when flying aggressor display for NATO countries.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 28 Dec 2017 19:38

Markenzwieback wrote:I know my way around IRST and usage for A2A missiles, just messing with you (after you used RWR). :P

And while you are correct that the tracking with IRST isn't located by the tracked aircraft, missile firing will be by defensive systems. At least the more modern (1980s+) ones. Hence the accuracy bonus is questionable, because you can employ the same countermeassures as with regularly fired heat-seeking A2A missiles.

In practice, the MiG-29 IRST was pretty shit (at least on export versions). To the point where the West-German air force didn't make use of it when flying aggressor display for NATO countries.

Oh wow. What a post. 10/10.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 28 Dec 2017 19:53

HrcAk47 wrote:Oh wow. What a post. 10/10.

Considering the lack of further remarks, I will just assume that you were trying to tell me that YugomagicTM optical sensors used in back-up channel of NEWA were exported to fit into all MiG-29 export version around the world. Hence buffs are required to represent this fact in game. ;)

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 28 Dec 2017 20:09

Why should I correct you while you're showing that you're clueless? :mrgreen: I only come here for quality posts like that one :lol:
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 28 Dec 2017 20:52

HrcAk47 wrote:Why should I correct you while you're showing that you're clueless? :mrgreen: I only come here for quality posts like that one :lol:

How...

productive.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 28 Dec 2017 21:04

Fade2Gray wrote:
HrcAk47 wrote:Why should I correct you while you're showing that you're clueless? :mrgreen: I only come here for quality posts like that one :lol:

How...

productive.

Was about to write something lengthy about that, but your point turned out far more...precise.

Granted, I am not an expert on the MiG-29 IRST system (took my knowledge from some reading and my not-so-efficient efforts in DCS) and open to corrections to my knowledge. The standard "you are wrong but I won't show you why" on the other hand is nothing but mere shitposting. In that regard, enlighten me please.

Frencho
Lieutenant

Postby Frencho » Thu 28 Dec 2017 21:58

LFMAO

People asking for MIG-29 buffs based on the premise of late 80s IRST :lol:

Shit, even in 2017 IRSTs are kinda MEH compared to optronics within dedicated targeting pods. Especially Russian/Soviet ones who have been lagging behind Western optronics for decades.

So, buff F-14 Tomcat, Rafale and F-18 Super Hornet (edit:scratch that one forgot it's IRST is being tacked-on starting on Block III, so way OOTF) too? Cuz they have much better 80s IRST than MIG-29s or SU-27s.

Still it's doubtful The IRST of the 80s could reliably track andengage air targets back then, let alone ground targets unless the stars aligned lol. Bad weather, clouds and well you're SOL.
Last edited by Frencho on Fri 29 Dec 2017 02:13, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”