What is going on at Eugen?

Razzmann
General

Re: What is going on at Eugen?

Postby Razzmann » Thu 18 Jan 2018 22:33

thenosh wrote:Oh boy, today a new dlc/update whatsoever ad for SD via E-Mail... Eugen, can't you hear us?

I mean, my e-mail was not completely wrong...

Playing Steel Division would indeed take me back to hell! :lol:

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Fri 19 Jan 2018 01:17

Razzmann wrote:Playing Steel Division would indeed take me back to hell! :lol:

Grabbed a mate and played a round today after the DLC news had gotten to me and I couldn't agree more. :?

Arty shenanigans are still sooo bad and balancing got worse to the point where WG:RD DLC nations actually feel balanced in comparison (early game Allied armored division just steam role Axis infantry decks without remorse).

antred
Sergeant First-Class

Postby antred » Tue 27 Feb 2018 00:02

Even if the game mechanics were flawless, I just couldn't give a rat's ass about SD. WW2 has been done to death a million times over, and much better than SD ever could (I honestly still find Close Combat 2 vastly superior to SD). In Wargame, Eugen has something fairly unique going ... they should concentrate on that rather than trying to do shitty Command & Conquer clones or the 5 millionth WW2 game.

Fodder
Sergeant Major

Postby Fodder » Tue 27 Feb 2018 02:02

antred wrote:Even if the game mechanics were flawless, I just couldn't give a rat's ass about SD. WW2 has been done to death a million times over

+1

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 27 Feb 2018 05:49

Markenzwieback wrote:
Razzmann wrote:Playing Steel Division would indeed take me back to hell! :lol:

Grabbed a mate and played a round today after the DLC news had gotten to me and I couldn't agree more. :?

Arty shenanigans are still sooo bad and balancing got worse to the point where WG:RD DLC nations actually feel balanced in comparison (early game Allied armored division just steam role Axis infantry decks without remorse).

That is... harsh. I see a lot of people say that division balance is overall pretty good, but now it has gotten worse?

Fodder wrote:
antred wrote:Even if the game mechanics were flawless, I just couldn't give a rat's ass about SD. WW2 has been done to death a million times over

+1

+1 as well. The only thing that is about as overdone as WW2 is the whole zombie genre.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 27 Feb 2018 11:31

Fade2Gray wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote:Grabbed a mate and played a round today after the DLC news had gotten to me and I couldn't agree more. :?

That is... harsh. I see a lot of people say that division balance is overall pretty good, but now it has gotten worse?

Its more the general balance of division assets combined with AT gun and damage RND that throws most Axis infantry divisions under the wheel. Only infantry divisions I can reliably do well with are 16th Luftwaffe and Green Devils, for they have early game vetted ranged AT solutions (Gerlich or Flak 88).

The rest too heavily relies upon single-card Pak40s to deal with early game armor (etc.) to be of any real help. If someone plays smart, your regular Pak38s won't live long enough to fire a second shot. Particularly 7th Armored (Desert Rats) is retardedly broken, as in their double-vet Stuart transports shred infantry/AT guns within seconds. Heck even my 88 got stun locked by a single one with leader bonus once...

Axis armored divisions are in a much better place, but still lack behind. Only one gets a proper medium tank (Panzer IV) in A, while all the others (except 12th SS) rely upon shitty tankettes without tank killing capability or low armored TDs (Marder series or equivalent) throughout phase A.

Oh, did I mention that the new French infantry division gets a Jagdpanzer IV in phase A, which through the board is a German phase B asset? And a Panzer IV too? I think you get the point.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 27 Feb 2018 15:25

So what you're saying is French Bias?
Courtesy of KattiValk

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 27 Feb 2018 15:46

Mike wrote:So what you're saying is French Bias?

No, not at all. Its a general problem of very stupid phase A distribution of units. Different pre-DLC allied divisions got good tanks, e.g. Cromwells (Pancerna, Guards even with 11 armor), Shermans (3rd AD, 2nd ID), M10s (Blindee) and Ram II (Canadians).

What did the Germans get in return? Some upgraded and vetted Panzer IIIs (which are useless against most of the above), a stupid Beute Firefly (12. SS) and some very fragile TDs (French PAK in 21st Panzer and Marders in Windhund). So the main force of German divisions relied upon AT guns to survive phase A. This capability got crushed with the nerf to anti-tank guns in general.

Now, with DLC nations the Allies got more 1200m TDs (Hellcats in 4th AD, Jp IV in Demi SAS) and some retardedly boosted divisions on the veterancy end. Vet three transports with 50cals can destroy entire German infantry divisions on their own (hello Desert Rats!). Meanwhile Germany's DLC divisions did get their first proper tank in A (Panzer IV, finally!), but beyond that are still stuck with sub-par anti-tank guns (Festung) or fragile TDs (9. Panzer). Granted, 16. Luftwaffe has two 88s which can be used as tank killers, but are also easily countered with indirect fire.

Its more of a general unit distribution problem among divisions and phases than French bias. This problem was massively increased by Allied DLC nations getting more phase A unicorns and capabilities that are hard to match with German divisions in early game. Heck, two out of four Allied DLC divisions easily counter the once questionably strong 12. SS with ease (4th AD and Demi SAS).

keldon
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby keldon » Tue 27 Feb 2018 17:03

Sounds like professional eugen balance at work.
> Sources for tuning Red Dragons --- Sources for tuning Blue Dragons <
亲们!大国梦哦!
小钱钱,真心甜,鼓钱包,放腰间,大国梦,早日圆 。啷个哩个啷♪

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 28 Feb 2018 02:06

Markenzwieback wrote:
Mike wrote:So what you're saying is French Bias?

No, not at all. Its a general problem of very stupid phase A distribution of units. Different pre-DLC allied divisions got good tanks, e.g. Cromwells (Pancerna, Guards even with 11 armor), Shermans (3rd AD, 2nd ID), M10s (Blindee) and Ram II (Canadians).

What did the Germans get in return? Some upgraded and vetted Panzer IIIs (which are useless against most of the above), a stupid Beute Firefly (12. SS) and some very fragile TDs (French PAK in 21st Panzer and Marders in Windhund). So the main force of German divisions relied upon AT guns to survive phase A. This capability got crushed with the nerf to anti-tank guns in general.

Now, with DLC nations the Allies got more 1200m TDs (Hellcats in 4th AD, Jp IV in Demi SAS) and some retardedly boosted divisions on the veterancy end. Vet three transports with 50cals can destroy entire German infantry divisions on their own (hello Desert Rats!). Meanwhile Germany's DLC divisions did get their first proper tank in A (Panzer IV, finally!), but beyond that are still stuck with sub-par anti-tank guns (Festung) or fragile TDs (9. Panzer). Granted, 16. Luftwaffe has two 88s which can be used as tank killers, but are also easily countered with indirect fire.

Its more of a general unit distribution problem among divisions and phases than French bias. This problem was massively increased by Allied DLC nations getting more phase A unicorns and capabilities that are hard to match with German divisions in early game. Heck, two out of four Allied DLC divisions easily counter the once questionably strong 12. SS with ease (4th AD and Demi SAS).

I guess I should've added the /s?
Courtesy of KattiValk