To SEAD, or not to SEAD

James-Bond
Master Sergeant

Re: To SEAD, or not to SEAD

Postby James-Bond » Tue 22 May 2018 22:47

Hope Im not being naive but what does a 'good' players deck look like if they omit ASF and helicopter? Doesn't that reduce overall versatility?

I consider ASF essential, very helpful cover team mates.
Helicopters are nice eg one or two Defensively can halt a push.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Tue 22 May 2018 22:54

varis wrote:a couple of forum comments/threads over time

Because people overestimating their abilities never happens on forums ;)

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Thu 24 May 2018 11:58

Tricky with the SEAD.

For me depends on what I have in the air tab of the deck and what SEAD planes I have as option. As a loose rule, I prefer the SEAD planes that can shot down helos (East German SU, Harrier...) or the cheap ones.

Must have in a deck for me are two ASFs and one ATGM plane capable to take out super heavies.

The rest of the choices depends on the coalition and how much a rely on planes. For example, in my Blue Dragons deck I have the F-16 SEAD because can complement at a degree the ASF which is not one of the best. It's a good deterrence for bombers as well.

For Entente,I never use SEAD, I prefer some arty as the only strike fighter I use is the ATGM one as a panic button, the rest of my ground units can deal with pretty much anything.

SEAD planes are characterized by relatively high ECM and target ground radar guided AA units using their missiles. These missiles can be tricked by turning off the radar. If I US for instance, SEAD is a must have considering the unusual 60% ECM of a Raven and other very good SEAD options as Prowler or Wild Weasel (works well in pairs). My favorite tactic when using these planes is to fly one in front or around bombers which will probably make the opponent to remove the AA RAD them from the engagement and help the bombers with their jammers. Meanwhile enemy AA will fire their missiles at the lead plane, my SEAD plane or simply switch off. Having a high ECM allows the plane to jam most of these missiles that will be anyway fired, while allowing my bomber with lower ECM to complete it's bombing run.

However, anti radiation missiles cannot show backwards so if one have the means it's good to fly a SEAD behind the bombers as well, this is what I sometimes to with Israeli Ayits to kill the AA which might be turned on after the first SEAD plane and the bombers are passing over the AA site.

This generally works for destruction, in conquest I hardly bother with SEAD.

James-Bond
Master Sergeant

Postby James-Bond » Sat 2 Jun 2018 01:59

steppewolf wrote:Tricky with the SEAD.

For me depends on what I have in the air tab of the deck and what SEAD planes I have as option. ...

Thanls for the very useful information.
Currently trying out tactic with good sucess. Thanla. Thing I do like about SEAD is my ATGM / Bombers get hit less often. So they can be used more frequently without the repair time delay
And spotting AA can be useful Intel.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”