Modding Wargame: AirLand Battle

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Vestly
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Modding Wargame: AirLand Battle

Postby Vestly » Wed 28 Aug 2013 00:57

Corsair wrote:
Vestly wrote:-1 for mods because:
American would create mod , where Abrams is undestructible and F-15 is undestructible too (because it was never shoted down in fight against 3rd gen fighter)

German player would create Leo-2 as a ultimate machine with everything (i can imagine , how it would be able to shot down planes with its cannon)

Russian player would make mod , where T-90 would be like moving fortress with laser canon on top etc.

No , bad idea.

Eugen should stop making games them. I fear an awful french bias for W:RD.

No , it is different , Eugen isnt biased. They are one of the few companies , which arent biased.

Azaz3l
Brigadier

Postby Azaz3l » Wed 28 Aug 2013 00:58

Enlighten us, Hob_Gadling!

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:00

Vestly wrote:-1 for mods because:
American would create mod , where Abrams is undestructible and F-15 is undestructible too (because it was never shoted down in fight against 3rd gen fighter)

German player would create Leo-2 as a ultimate machine with everything (i can imagine , how it would be able to shot down planes with its cannon)

Russian player would make mod , where T-90 would be like moving fortress with laser canon on top etc.

No , bad idea.

And nobody would play those mods.

This is a nonsense reason not to have mods; only mods that presented a playable and fair game would ever gain and retain a player-base.

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Graphic » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:02

I'm against certain kinds of mods, any that would split the community. The Wargame community isn't big enough to survive it.

I'm 100% for client side mods, though. Custom skins, sound, music, models, etc.
k

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:03

Mods arent necessarily meant to be packaged and redistributed at large, nor with the input of various "realism consultants" and balance testers.

There isnt really a mod community, its sort of a mod lean-to with a guy standing under it to keep the rain out :P Its sort of a proof-of-concept at this stage that has yielded fruitful results at in a few ways.

Vestly
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Vestly » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:04

Graphic wrote:I'm against certain kinds of mods, any that would split the community. The Wargame community isn't big enough to survive it.

I'm 100% for client side mods, though. Custom skins, sound, music, models, etc.

Agree

Satire
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Satire » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:05

Graphic wrote:I'm against certain kinds of mods, any that would split the community. The Wargame community isn't big enough to survive it.

That is just silly. Mods breath life into games, bring new players, keep old players around, spice things up... Do I really need to go listing examples? I really don't understand how people can believe such a thing given the numerous examples which go completley against this ldea.

And in regards to splitting the community, that is entirely dependent upon the developer making mod implementation friendly and easy to use.
Alias - Cpt.Fantastic

Azaz3l
Brigadier

Postby Azaz3l » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:08

I'm pretty sure playing with modded files during a normal session would lead to a desync.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:09

Azaz3l wrote:I'm pretty sure playing with modded files during a normal session would lead to a desync.

Yep, it does.

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:12

This is quite the scare-story fallacy that is peddled:

There are only two possible ways this fantasy about a split community could ever actually happen:

1. None of the mods would have enough people to build or maintain their own community, so they wouldn't get played. People would therefore return to playing the base game by necessity. This is the most likely eventuality if the community was so 'split'.

2. One or two very big mods would share the vast majority of the player base in shares that are big enough to facilitate a properly functioning community in each. If this was at the expense of the base game, the correct question there is 'what do these mods do that the base game can take on board', as opposed to 'ZOMG THEY SPLIT THE COMMUNITY'.

Both of these eventualities simply wouldn't happen anyway. You'd have 3-4 decent sized mods that would get played, and dozens of minor fanboy mods would simply not have a community to sustain them and would die. And the vast majority of people would very likely still play the base game, at least part of the time.

The 'splitting the community' line is a popular one on these boards, but it's something that just doesn't happen, and it is, to be frank, a pedalled scare-story to stop people who'd like mods but also love the game from asking for modding capability. Whatever would be lost from homogeneity of the community would be far offset by the increased diversity of players (read: customers) who would be brought into the series.

And besides - even if it did have any credibility, it wouldn't apply for map editing and custom rulesets. These wouldn't require any modification or community divergence whatsoever, as they would just be additional, optional content for the base game itself.

Return to “Modding”