Modding Wargame: AirLand Battle

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Guggy
General

Re: Modding Wargame: AirLand Battle

Postby Guggy » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:14

All I want is to rename each Russian soldier Daniel Gobplin is that so much to ask???

Vestly
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Vestly » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:17

Guggy wrote:All I want is to rename each Russian soldier Daniel Gobplin is that so much to ask???

I want Zhukov as a soldier in my army !
With him , i would win with every single spam.

Iris
Brigadier

Postby Iris » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:19

Most players play singleplayer; most people play mods only on singleplayer. I've never really played much of my favorite mods in multiplayer. If anything I'd love to play with the armory stats, skins, etc the same way I did with Company of Heroes with Corsix mod studio. I made custom skins, mods galore, etc. If there were tools like Corsix or the Worldbuilder from company of heroes for this game I'd never sleep.

If it worked the same way as Company of Heroes does so your mod is basically separate from the game itself or would generate a patch number for your mod in the 6 digits so it couldn't interfere with official stuff.

If a community member made a tool that allowed you to do that and it didn't interfere with the official game like hacking would; Aka I couldn't play official online multiplayer with my mod or somebody else's mod because it generated a false 8 digit patch number 29492, so it'd be like playing beta patches or outdated patches so you couldn't use it to hack or exploit the game. That would be pretty cool and awesome.

Personally if I had mods I'd still play the official stuff on multiplayer, but enjoy playing with different units and such on my own time which is honestly the majority of all Wargame playing time for the community.

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Graphic » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:27

DoktorvonWer wrote:The 'splitting the community' line is a popular one on these boards, but it's something that just doesn't happen, and it is, to be frank, a pedalled scare-story to stop people who'd like mods but also love the game from asking for modding capability.

Excuse me but what are you talking about? I take offense to this.

I have no ulterior motive to "stop" the implementation of mods to the game, I'm just offering my opinion; mods breathe life into popular games, or games with an extremely dedicated fanbases who stick with it for years. I get on some nights and there are 2 lobbies open, you really think adding mods into that mix is going to help?

I'd greatly appreciate it if you didn't take my or anyone else's innocent posts and assign ridiculous conspiracies and sinister motives to them when there's nothing to indicate that except perhaps the paranoid mind of the reader.
k

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:28

Azaz3l wrote:Enlighten us, Hob_Gadling!

There's not much more to say at this point.

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:28

everybody loves to reference arma as a shining example of what modding can do to games, but i'm willing to bet they don't understand its history

before the dayz craze, arma multiplayer was very, very simple

you had:

public vanilla servers that were hardly populated and ran 1 or 2 of the same repeating missions

and

private gaming clans that ran their own dedicated modpacks with custom missions and organization.

yes modding expanded the game but it killed the public community because everyone was forced to join a separate clan, there was no standardization. also the arma devs have been really slacking with arma 3, wouldn't be surprised that they've become reliant on the modding community to do their job for them

Satire
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Satire » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:38

Graphic wrote:
DoktorvonWer wrote:The 'splitting the community' line is a popular one on these boards, but it's something that just doesn't happen, and it is, to be frank, a pedalled scare-story to stop people who'd like mods but also love the game from asking for modding capability.

Excuse me but what are you talking about? I take offense to this.

I have no ulterior motive to "stop" the implementation of mods to the game, I'm just offering my opinion; mods breathe life into popular games, or games with an extremely dedicated fanbases who stick with it for years. I get on some nights and there are 2 lobbies open, you really think adding mods into that mix is going to help?

I'd greatly appreciate it if you didn't take my or anyone else's innocent posts and assign ridiculous conspiracies and sinister motives to them when there's nothing to indicate that except perhaps the paranoid mind of the reader.

A beautifully constructed story to hide the realities; I am onto you and your conspiracy.
Alias - Cpt.Fantastic

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:38

Vestly wrote:-1 for mods because:
American would create mod , where Abrams is undestructible and F-15 is undestructible too (because it was never shoted down in fight against 3rd gen fighter)

German player would create Leo-2 as a ultimate machine with everything (i can imagine , how it would be able to shot down planes with its cannon)

Russian player would make mod , where T-90 would be like moving fortress with laser canon on top etc.

No , bad idea.

Those mods would become derided and unplayed because nobody will want to fight against them, leaving the games as NATO v NATO or Pact v Pact circle-jerks.

Would there be lots of crap? Of course, Sturgeon's Law. The good stuff will end up shining through. I can guarantee a "realism" mod that focuses on making the stats as close to real as possible, though, which would be really interesting to see.

IIRC, the real reason behind no mod tools comes from simple economics; most of the tools Eugen used to make the game they don't own, so making stuff available for modders would require taking programers away from the actual game to design mod tools, something Eugen isn't willing to do.

naizarak wrote:also the arma devs have been really slacking with arma 3, wouldn't be surprised that they've become reliant on the modding community to do their job for them

After working with guys that have directly worked with BIS, this is truth.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Satire
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Satire » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:43

Xeno426 wrote:
naizarak wrote:also the arma devs have been really slacking with arma 3, wouldn't be surprised that they've become reliant on the modding community to do their job for them

After working with guys that have directly worked with BIS, this is truth.

Having played Arma & Arma 2 I fail to see a problem with this for the best content from both games came from the community. There is absolutely nothing wrong in my mind with providing the engine & tools to allow the community to create their own content which is the majority of the time far superior to the original product*.

I am at a loss as to why more games don't provide modding tools when the benefits are so patently obvious, maybe it has something to do with control, power and fear.

*same for many other games (BF2: Project Reality, HL: DOD/CS, BF1942: Desert Combat/Forgotten Hope, HL2: Insurgency/Garrys Mod... Et Cetera, Et Cetera)
Alias - Cpt.Fantastic

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:48

Except that Arma3 is being release only half finished. One jet, one tank, no campaign.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Return to “Modding”