Modding Wargame: AirLand Battle

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Guggy
General

Re: Modding Wargame: AirLand Battle

Postby Guggy » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:49

Xeno426 wrote:Except that Arma3 is being release only half finished. One jet, one tank, no campaign.

Yep. Where'd all the money go? :(

Ramsay
Corporal

Postby Ramsay » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:51

Hob_Gadling wrote:Yes, it is possible (at least to an extent, I've changed stuff in the armory already).

Great news as it means that even if official mod tools never appear there might be a chance to customise or re-skin. I don't "get" the negativity in allowing people experiment or the "Mother knows best" attitude some people have. I've bought quite a few older games just to run community mods.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:54

Xeno426 wrote:IIRC, the real reason behind no mod tools comes from simple economics; most of the tools Eugen used to make the game they don't own,

The tools needed for unit stat editing are inhouse code with 99% certainty and that's all I'm really interested in. The expensive parts are map editing (needs to be precompiled), skins (graphics tools), animations (ditto) and sounds. Unit stats are almost cleartext once you get down to the center of the onion. You could probably make a tool that takes the data from an Excel file in a week if you knew the format perfectly.

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:56

Hob_Gadling wrote:
Xeno426 wrote:IIRC, the real reason behind no mod tools comes from simple economics; most of the tools Eugen used to make the game they don't own,

The tools needed for unit stat editing are inhouse code with 99% certainty and that's all I'm really interested in. The expensive parts are map editing (needs to be precompiled), skins (graphics tools), animations (ditto) and sounds. Unit stats are almost cleartext once you get down to the center of the onion. You could probably make a tool that takes the data from an Excel file in a week if you knew the format perfectly.

what's the point of stat editing if you can't make new units? then everyone will just tweak everything according to their personal preferences/bias. this is exactly what we DON'T need.

Satire
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Satire » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:57

Xeno426 wrote:Except that Arma3 is being release only half finished. One jet, one tank, no campaign.

Seriously? They are surely going to keep working on it? They are doing an alpha launch/keep working on it type deal?
Alias - Cpt.Fantastic

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:57

naizarak wrote:what's the point of stat editing if you can't make new units?

First of all, I never have to take part in another balance discussion. That alone makes it worth the trouble.

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Wed 28 Aug 2013 01:59

Satire wrote:

Seriously? They are surely going to keep working on it? They are doing an alpha launch/keep working on it type deal?

Arma 3 was unofficially "released" several months ago in alpha form, and now is in beta. So yeah they'll technically keep working on it but I'm extremely skeptical they'll make any genuine improvements considering they've been "working" on it for years now and they have almost nothing to show for it.

Satire
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Satire » Wed 28 Aug 2013 02:00

naizarak wrote:
Satire wrote:

Arma 3 was unofficially "released" several months ago in alpha form, and now is in beta. So yeah they'll technically keep working on it but I'm extremely skeptical they'll make any genuine improvements considering they've been "working" on it for years now and they have almost nothing to show for it.

A game engine isn't anything to show?
Last edited by Satire on Wed 28 Aug 2013 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Alias - Cpt.Fantastic

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 28 Aug 2013 02:01

Yeah, they'll release stuff over time but its totally baffling where the money and time have gone. I lost a ton of faith in BIS as a result, as did most fellow ArmA friends I know.

solaris
Lieutenant

Postby solaris » Wed 28 Aug 2013 02:01

Guggy wrote:

Yep. Where'd all the money go? :(

Into engine optimization. I played A1 and A2 at launch and I would have traded those other features ( campaign, indigenous assets) for better optimization in a heartbeat. Arma 3 runs at a playable fps on reasonable hardware out of the gate, something BI have never managed before.
Anecdotes do not count for game balance.

Return to “Modding”