Index: Helpful tools & Modding/Mods

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Index: Helpful tools & Modding/Mods

Postby Shifu » Tue 24 Sep 2013 13:28

Last updated: 10.04.2014 - Note, with the release of WRD and the shift of attention to that game, this topic will (if at all) only be updated sporadically)
(dd.mm.yyyy)
This thread attempts to provide links to all relevant, modding related topics & to all helpful tools. I did not create any of those topics, nor am I responsible for their content. Please contact the particular OP for question related to their respective thread. I do not warrant that I included every topic - if you find one I'm missing, please contact me.

Warning:
  1. Modding or using mods/third party applications may damage your game or parts of it. Modding or using mods/third party applications is not officially supported, you're doing it at your own risk.
  2. Modding or using mods/third party applications may alter your gaming experience.
  3. Running mods which influence the vanilla version of players not using the mod or which affect the progress of the game is considered cheating and will be punished accordingly. You may run those mods in private games or on your own dedicated server. Latter one needs to display a warning in its title/name.
  4. Keep in mind, any file you intend to download may contain malicious software and therefore may harm your PC. Any link pointing to infected files will be deleted as soon as we detect them. However, we have not tested the downloads, so once again: you're downloading everything on your own risk.
  5. Links provided below in this post won't make you leave to external sites, but in those linked threads you may find links doing so. External sites can be insecure.

Modding

1. General:
2. Mods:

3. Tools:

Other stuff:
I'm currently running short on time. Hence, it takes some time until I respond. In urgent cases, consider contacting another mod.
Forum rules | A Forum's guide. | Tech Support Posting instructions & Tech FAQ

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Index: Helpful tools & Modding

Postby another505 » Thu 26 Sep 2013 02:56

wow, im so proud of this community :D
Of Salt

Azura
Corporal

Postby Azura » Thu 26 Sep 2013 19:09

Thanks a lot for making an index for these tools and mods, I was having a hard time finding them through Google, especially the tools. I made a forum account just to thank you for this! :mrgreen:

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Sat 28 Sep 2013 05:38

This looks promising:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=35507

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Sat 28 Sep 2013 18:53

@Azura: You're welcome - glad it's helpful :)
@Hob: Thanks, added it
I'm currently running short on time. Hence, it takes some time until I respond. In urgent cases, consider contacting another mod.
Forum rules | A Forum's guide. | Tech Support Posting instructions & Tech FAQ

MK.82
Staff Sergeant

Re: Index: Helpful tools & Modding/Mods

Postby MK.82 » Thu 28 Nov 2013 01:58

I am trying to write a complete starter guide. But I can not even do that because the every FAQ and guide so far skips important steps and have screenshots from parts what isn't even visible or similar to application.

Is there someone already doing such starter step-by-step guide or something?

pansarskott
Private First-Class

Postby pansarskott » Sun 2 Feb 2014 22:17

I'm loving that fans have been able to make modding-tools to an otherless unmoddeble game..
And I'm not here to bash or whine about that..I just wish it was abit simpler to understand it..

I have put down maybe 12h in trying to understand and mod the game with this tool but for me it is just to complicated..and the tutorials are just to lose in their discriptions.

Now, maybe I'm just to stupid to get it to work. Are there any chance that the tool can be made easier to use?
Like maybe just click on one button to get to say "units" and there you can chance Everything about that unit.

Again, not whining..just to stupid.

Cheers

Peter

Vasto
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Vasto » Sun 2 Feb 2014 22:38

Well, I guess that simplifying moding process to a degree where you could quickly list all units and then easily change values in a friendly manner, would require a huge amount of work. That's because the software would have to understand all those tangled relations between game entities, so it could translate them to a simplified, easy editable form, yet still being able to provide moding flexibility.

Probably It's not worth the efforts...

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Mon 3 Feb 2014 18:11

pansarskott wrote:Are there any chance that the tool can be made easier to use?

Not really. It's already simpler (after a fashion) than the tools Eugen uses.

You can do a lot by editing these three places:

1) pc\ndf\patchable\gfx\gdconstanteoriginal.ndfbin has game rules (victory levels, time limits etc)
2) pc\ndf\patchable\gfx\everything.ndfbin class 86 called TUniteAuSolDescriptor has all unit stats except weapons
3) pc\ndf\patchable\gfx\everything.ndfbin class 94 called TAmmunition has all weapon stats

What you see is the exact relations of everything that is under the hood. Since Wargame is a complex game, that's quite a lot of stuff. There's no meaningful way to exclude stuff from the editor except by someone picking by hand the values that should be shown. That's a whole project in itself, and one that I have no intention of doing.

Try browsing through TUniteAuSolDescriptor. It starts to make sense after a while.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Mon 3 Feb 2014 20:07

pansarskott wrote:Are there any chance that the tool can be made easier to use?

There would be one way, which is kind of a dream feature of mine.

What my tool basically does is "decompiling" the ndf bytecode, "ndfbin", into a generic object structure in c# while providing a very generic UI to edit this object structure. After editing it recompiles this structure back into the ndfbin format.

The UI is good for simple things but proved very weak for editing or creating very complex structures. While it is possible in theory to add a new unit from scratch, nobody managed to do this yet since the module part is very heavy to reconstruct.

A way to make it better would be to generate ndf scripts, real sourcecode, from that object structure. And parse ndf code back into my object format in order to recompile it. Unfortunatley, I don't know enough about ndf scripts for that, and even if I did, it would be a lot of work to program that.