What are the rules for modding?

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Bryan
General

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby Bryan » Fri 10 Jan 2014 08:32

But...name changes and unit skins are okay for normal play...right?

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Mon 13 Jan 2014 00:02

As only you see them and they don't effect the course of the game, I'd say yes.

Iris
Brigadier

Postby Iris » Mon 13 Jan 2014 01:05

They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.

wolfss
Private First-Class

Postby wolfss » Mon 28 Apr 2014 12:11

Iris wrote:They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.

Very good! So making Logo changes on vehicles and Units names modifications to match my country's army (That is not in-game) will work in any online normal game. I can suppose that all the other players in same game with me will see my modified units name right, or is it only me that will see the units visual modification?
We are here to stay!

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Mon 28 Apr 2014 12:15

Visual midifications are only for you. You can paint pinups on your units nobody will know ;)
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 29 Apr 2014 05:08

wolfss wrote:
Iris wrote:They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.

Very good! So making Logo changes on vehicles and Units names modifications to match my country's army (That is not in-game) will work in any online normal game. I can suppose that all the other players in same game with me will see my modified units name right, or is it only me that will see the units visual modification?

Welcome to the forums wolfss!

I hope you know how multiplayer videogames work, or this will be a long time for me to explain...
Many video games have a server-client relationship, as all client information and action is transmitted through to the server, who sends it back to all the clients. But Wargame being so special and hard to mod changed this. The server only has control over very few things - the map choice and deployment and victory conditions. Everything else is localization, or client. Also, (like most games), client information sent out is only orders and commands. It usually is not information about maps, units, or game logic. Once a game starts, all computers are up to their own interpretation of orders constantly being transmitted to it, and information about what you named a unit or what a unit looks like is only localization - seen by you, even if you are host.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

wolfss
Private First-Class

Postby wolfss » Tue 29 Apr 2014 12:05

The W:AB Noob wrote:
wolfss wrote:

So yes.

Welcome to the forums wolfss!

I hope you know how multiplayer videogames work, or this will be a long time for me to explain...
Many video games have a server-client relationship, as all client information and action is transmitted through to the server, who sends it back to all the clients. But Wargame being so special and hard to mod changed this. The server only has control over very few things - the map choice and deployment and victory conditions. Everything else is localization, or client. Also, (like most games), client information sent out is only orders and commands. It usually is not information about maps, units, or game logic. Once a game starts, all computers are up to their own interpretation of orders constantly being transmitted to it, and information about what you named a unit or what a unit looks like is only localization - seen by you, even if you are host.

Got that point!
Thank you

NB: Last game i modded was Counter Strike 1.5! Lol
We are here to stay!

Return to “Modding”