What are the rules for modding?

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Bryan
General
Posts: 5993
Joined: Mon 7 Jan 2013 07:16
Contact:

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby Bryan » Fri 10 Jan 2014 08:32

But...name changes and unit skins are okay for normal play...right?

User avatar
Shifu
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2011 16:06
Contact:

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby Shifu » Mon 13 Jan 2014 00:02

As only you see them and they don't effect the course of the game, I'd say yes.

Iris
Brigadier
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue 14 May 2013 00:41

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby Iris » Mon 13 Jan 2014 01:05

They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.

User avatar
wolfss
Private First-Class
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun 27 Apr 2014 15:47
Contact:

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby wolfss » Mon 28 Apr 2014 12:11

Iris wrote:They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.


Very good! So making Logo changes on vehicles and Units names modifications to match my country's army (That is not in-game) will work in any online normal game. I can suppose that all the other players in same game with me will see my modified units name right, or is it only me that will see the units visual modification?
We are here to stay!
Image

User avatar
FLX
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2012 10:43
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby FLX » Mon 28 Apr 2014 12:15

Visual midifications are only for you. You can paint pinups on your units nobody will know ;)
Image
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

User avatar
The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4568
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013 22:29
Location: United States, Central Time Zone
Contact:

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 29 Apr 2014 05:08

wolfss wrote:
Iris wrote:They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.


Very good! So making Logo changes on vehicles and Units names modifications to match my country's army (That is not in-game) will work in any online normal game. I can suppose that all the other players in same game with me will see my modified units name right, or is it only me that will see the units visual modification?

Welcome to the forums wolfss!

I hope you know how multiplayer videogames work, or this will be a long time for me to explain...
Many video games have a server-client relationship, as all client information and action is transmitted through to the server, who sends it back to all the clients. But Wargame being so special and hard to mod changed this. The server only has control over very few things - the map choice and deployment and victory conditions. Everything else is localization, or client. Also, (like most games), client information sent out is only orders and commands. It usually is not information about maps, units, or game logic. Once a game starts, all computers are up to their own interpretation of orders constantly being transmitted to it, and information about what you named a unit or what a unit looks like is only localization - seen by you, even if you are host.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

User avatar
wolfss
Private First-Class
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun 27 Apr 2014 15:47
Contact:

Re: What are the rules for modding?

Postby wolfss » Tue 29 Apr 2014 12:05

The W:AB Noob wrote:
wolfss wrote:
Iris wrote:They don't affect gameplay, cause desyncs, or in any way create an upperhand over the opponent and Eugen is fine with them.

So yes.


Very good! So making Logo changes on vehicles and Units names modifications to match my country's army (That is not in-game) will work in any online normal game. I can suppose that all the other players in same game with me will see my modified units name right, or is it only me that will see the units visual modification?

Welcome to the forums wolfss!

I hope you know how multiplayer videogames work, or this will be a long time for me to explain...
Many video games have a server-client relationship, as all client information and action is transmitted through to the server, who sends it back to all the clients. But Wargame being so special and hard to mod changed this. The server only has control over very few things - the map choice and deployment and victory conditions. Everything else is localization, or client. Also, (like most games), client information sent out is only orders and commands. It usually is not information about maps, units, or game logic. Once a game starts, all computers are up to their own interpretation of orders constantly being transmitted to it, and information about what you named a unit or what a unit looks like is only localization - seen by you, even if you are host.


Got that point!
Thank you

NB: Last game i modded was Counter Strike 1.5! Lol
We are here to stay!
Image

Return to “Modding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests