(Release) Map Unlocker

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Re: (Release) Map Unlocker

Postby Radioshow » Wed 20 Nov 2013 01:24

So, in other words, we cant really use this.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Wed 20 Nov 2013 01:26

Uhm, yes, you can, I believe. Either by playing with friends (or host some event on this forum, friend each other and then invite each other - complicated, I agree, but better than nothing) - or get yourself some dedicated server (the beta ends "imminently") and apply it there - with the warning in the title of course.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 20 Nov 2013 01:50

Radioshow wrote:So, in other words, we cant really use this.

You can ... but not on our servers.

SandyGunfox
First Sergeant

Postby SandyGunfox » Wed 20 Nov 2013 02:43

This seems to be a "yes, except no" answer to be honest. Having to organize some forum event or pay for a dedicated server machine if we don't already own one is a lot more complicated than simply being able to host our own lobbies, complicated enough to be a "barrier to entry" so to speak. If the answer is no, we're not allowed to play with unapproved numbers of people on the map, then just tell us that - saying "yes but only if you jump through a bunch of hoops first" seems mean-spirited. In my opinion, making it "legal but almost impossible" is worse than just saying it's not allowed.

And anyway, I don't understand how it's a "clown game" or what 6k Highway games have to do with it. As far as I'm aware this unlock doesn't let you go beyond 4k starting points per team, which is the norm for a 4v4 anyway, is it not? I'm not trying to argue over what the rules are, I'm just concerned that we may not be on the same page as to who wants what, here. I just want to 4v4 on more than the, what, eight? maps we already have, with pretty typical settings - 1k starting points per player, normal map incomes - this unlock doesn't let you change these things...annd yet the replies are talking about 6k Highway games and "clown games" and that doesn't make sense to me.

Fistoblitzkrieg
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Fistoblitzkrieg » Wed 20 Nov 2013 04:57

So the issue with this mod is that it allows players without to join, and therefore unbeknownst to them play an altered game? Perhaps add a feature that alerts player when joining a game with modified content? "WARNING CLOWN GAME" maybe? No more half measures on eugens part and full support of mods, a fools dream I know. ;)

Reds&Royals
Sergeant

Postby Reds&Royals » Wed 20 Nov 2013 05:09

I wasn't lurking here before ALB became a thing, so I'm not going to question the "6k Hells Highway" argument. I don't know how bad it was, but every time I see a forum member talk about it, it sounds like some sort of traumatic repressed memory, so it was probably pretty bad.

I am going to request a bit of clarification though, since I'm not sure if this is being treated as a mod, or as something different in terms of what's okay and what's not. If I use this ONLY when setting up a private game lobby, and inviting friends who are aware of the change and are okay with it, is that fine, or still considered an unacceptable hack? If it matters, my friends and I are Bot Stomping, and using Iris' mod, so it runs on Version 1491. That means people couldn't join the game anyway unless they were already running a mod of some kind.

I get that running this like it's a normal game is a BIG no-no, but I just wanted official clarification about private usage like I described above. Having your own private server does seem to be something of an ordeal, which is why I'm wondering if just a private game lobby with a different, older game version and friends who are aware of the change would be acceptable.

Sorry for any headaches or grey hairs my question may cause. ;)

Mosquevan
Sergeant Major

Postby Mosquevan » Wed 20 Nov 2013 05:34

Oh god, oh man, this majorly shifts the gameplay. Playing Ragnarok on 1-4v1-4s gives you so, so many more options, so many more things to mind, so many more things you can do, and it's way, way more fun. I love it.
Friendly Wargaming Kebab

Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Soundwolf776 » Wed 20 Nov 2013 05:41

Additionally, income points don't seem to scale with player numbers, but this may be fixed in a future mod.

Check the Iris post here - http://wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=36644.
For each map, there is an array of arrays with all the sectors' income for different amount of players.

Kung Fu Treachery
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kung Fu Treachery » Wed 20 Nov 2013 06:06

I can understand Eugen's reluctance to give people carte blanche with respect to hosting nonstandard games on their servers, but forbidding it outright seems a bit unhealthy

Opening up the maps has been a pretty universal request as far as I am aware, and it would breath quite a bit of life back into the multi community - we've all played the limited selection of 4v4 maps hundreds of times over. By accommodating this mod Eugen would vastly expand Wargame's replayability at no cost to themselves. Is that not a golden opportunity from a game design standpoint?

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Wed 20 Nov 2013 06:21

So the question is now, how do we create a dedicated server for say...1 game?

Return to “Modding”