Map editor

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Map editor

Postby Hob_Gadling » Wed 12 Mar 2014 23:25

Let's talk a bit about map editing, shall we?

I'll quote myself to start off with:

We think the maps consist of:

- heightmap
- mesh layered on top of heightmap
- textures painted on the mesh
- individual objects such as trees, houses, tractors, traffic signs and mailboxes. As far as I know someone had to place every last one of these on the map by hand. Even the trees.
- "game logic layer" which includes zone coordinates, urban sectors, roads, reinforcement routes
- and some extra stuff that doesn't need to be on top of the map but needs to be included, such as default camera angles, zone point values and so on.

There probably is pathfinding pre-calculated somewhere in there.

When mapper creates a map, he does so at the most detailed level (let's call it level 1). Then Eugen "bakes" the map. The map is first divided into squares of some arbitrary size. The mapping tools then calculate matching points on level 1 and level 2 squares and effectively pre-renders the next level map square, somewhat similar to how Google Map zooming works. This process is repeated for map levels 3, 4... N-1 and then it's probably just a flat file at level N. I think it's called "baking" because when you bake something, it rises. Geddit? Coder humor!

The baking process then divvies up this information based on whether it was baked (zoom layers, textures, K-D trees mapping the points between levels) or non-baked (game logic), dumps it into appropriate files and encodes it into bytecode. This serves the additional purpose of making map zone changes cheaper to distribute as the file size difference is huge.

While creating a map editor that allows you to plop objects on a textured 2D map isn't that hard, the whole Wargame map making process is a bitch to replicate (especially if you don't know the exact zoom level values). It's technically very neat as the result is a very responsive, very low-demand way of showing huge amount of map information.

What we can (almost) do:

- edit sector values
- edit reinforcement routes
- edit starting sectors
- remove sectors

What can reasonably be hoped for:

- editing sector sizes and placement

What's not gonna happen:

- full fledged map editor which allows user to create a map from scratch.

Why won't there be a map editor?

Because creating a new map is a humongous task. As detailed above, not only would the mapper have to create a heightmap, mesh and game logic layer, he'd also have to create, texture and place all the little objects that litter each map. This is practically a full-time job. There are commercial tools for parts of the process, but they're expensive and not necessarily meant for consumer use. I also believe that even if the whole mapper tool that Eugen uses was made available, it wouldn't be used to create a single completely new map for Wargame. It might be used as a basis for a whole new game or certain other business applications, though.

Why can't we edit heightmap?

Because that requires changes in the mesh, and once mesh is changed the whole map needs to be baked again. We've been guessing if there was a way to edit hillside into flat ground, but it's probably way more work than it is worth to figure that one out.

Why do you say "almost"?

Nice that you asked! We're close and would appreciate a bit of help to crack the final nut. This is your chance to prove you're a hardcore hacker!

You can use the existing mod tools to go into Steam\steamapps\common\Wargame Airland Battle\Data\WARGAME\PC\2100001553\2100001570 and open Datamap.dat in the editor. Export the map\scenario\_10vs10_02\leveldesign.scenario file and open it up in a hex editor.

The first bytes go like this:

Code: Select all

53 43 45 4E 41 52 49 4F 0D 0A 11 A8 9D 66 B0 B1 FC 30 10 EF AF FD A4 39 9E E6 00 00 04 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 58 3F 04 00

or in ASCII like this:

SCENARIO...¨.f°±ü0.ï¯ý¤9žæ..........X?..

The bit we're interested in is right after SCENARIO:

0D 0A 11 A8 9D 66 B0 B1 FC 30 10 EF AF FD A4 39 9E E6 00 00

0D 0A seem to be always same. So do the null bytes at end. What's between looks like a MD5 checksum, but we haven't been able to match it with anything thus far. If it is a checksum it needs to be rewritten at editing time or the game will crash with an error. It might also be something else, in which case we'd need to know what it is and how to generate it (or if we're very, very lucky if we can just safely ignore it).

The rest of the bytes seem to be offsets into the file. While these tend to stay the same, exact format description doesn't hurt.

I want to edit zone placement!

Get crackin' on the same file. AREA seems to limit zones. The format, as far as we know:

each zone contains 8 blocks of data, each block seperated by the word AREA, the first block is a string containing a guid, no2 is 12 unkown bytes, no 3-5 looks like small ints, 6 is the vertex list, 7 is the ordering of the verteces, 8 is as far as I can tell always 0, a zone is ended by the word END0 (zero)

so the vertex data is a bit dodgy
the first 4 bytes describes how many verteces there are
the next for bytes is always 4 less
each vertex is described by 20 bytes
and the 4 first is probably the x value, next 4 is the y value and the last 4 is the Z value
what the other 4 is is a mystery

Vertexes are absolutely essential for doing anything with the zones. Working this out would help out immensely.

I have a feature request!

No. These come first.

I work for Eugen Systems and...

I'd love to get assistance from you guys. Is it a checksum and how is it calculated? :)

Credit for working out the maps goes to Gronank who has spent an incredible amount of time working on them, and enohka whose work makes figuring out things a lot easier.

BTR
General

Re: Map editor

Postby BTR » Wed 12 Mar 2014 23:39

This is the edge of the spear of human enthusiast to be driven further into this game's flesh. Godspeed and further good luck. ;)

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 12 Mar 2014 23:50

Wow, I was thinking exactly the same thing today at school. I thought of a few ways it might be possible to do a bit of map editing.

1. Maybe use another video game map editor like Battlefield 2 or Star Wars Battlefront 2 (those are the only one on the top of my head). Of course, this only does geometries and maybe zones.

2. How about we make a mod where all the objects like houses, buildings, are units, then we place them anywhere we want during deployment (the zone will be as large as the map). The replay saves the coordinates, and we somehow use that to make the map. This only makes objects, not maps, and rivers/forests are probably part of the map and not placeable.

Maybe we can use a combination of these to make a map maker pretty close to a total map maker! (I have no idea how to program though, and I'm working on my movie/sandbox mod, so I can't be of much help.)
Last edited by The W:AB Noob on Wed 12 Mar 2014 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Wed 12 Mar 2014 23:54

This is awesome news, even if only a beginning. Bravo ! ;)
A way to edit zone would be incredibly useful and powerful.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 12 Mar 2014 23:55

BTW, does anyone know if it possible to completely delete a zone only using Edata?

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Thu 13 Mar 2014 01:01

We know some more things about the scenario files if here is really another hacker who hasn't shown up thus far:

The files header is 36 bytes long.

The first 8 bytes are the file header magic "SCENARIO"
The following 2 bytes seem to be always 0D 0A in hex or 13 and 10 as int8 or 2573 as in16
The following 14 (or 16) bytes are unkown yet, they could be either a GUID or a checksum, we can't confirm that so far.
[If you group the previous bytes in 14 we have 2 zero "00" bytes following.]
The following 4 bytes are always 4 as int32
The following 4 bytes are the amount of sub files in the scenario file -> in most cases it is 3 as int32

Then there are the subfiles listed with a 4 byte int32 in front of each defining the sub files size in bytes.

We know 3 sub file types so far:
-One is the AREA block which is described by gronak already a bit.
-One is a usual ndfbin file which we can open and edit already.
-One is a file which header magic is "GDP0". We don't know too much about this one yet.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Thu 13 Mar 2014 01:23

The W:AB Noob wrote:BTW, does anyone know if it possible to completely delete a zone only using Edata?

No unfortunatley it's not yet. By the way - do you even what Edata is? It's the header magic for the *.dat package files. I wonder why you keep calling the modding suite "Edata".

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Thu 13 Mar 2014 01:51

Oh, in the old versions, the Wargame Modding Suite used to say Edata File Manager or something like that. I didn't notice that the name changed. Edata is easier to type than Modding Suite though

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Thu 13 Mar 2014 02:39

Thanks for the map editor info, Hob_Gadling. I'm guessing the nature of EUGEN's IRISZOOM game engine doesn't allow editing such as available for the Shogun2 map editor, TEd.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

AJE
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby AJE » Thu 13 Mar 2014 23:05

While it seems that right now my QNIX QX2710 monitor has died on me (it was awesome while OC'd though), as soon as I find a replacement Overlord Tempest X270OC I will try to help in whatever way I can with deciphering those hex values.

On a different note, shouldn't the community be working on modding the last bits of the unit models and animations before starting work on the maps?

Return to “Modding”