[Solved] Dedicated server, virtual box

Hynsei_A.I.
Corporal

[Solved] Dedicated server, virtual box

Postby Hynsei_A.I. » Sat 1 Feb 2014 21:27

Hello,
I'm trying to run my own dedicated server via a virtual box. Unfortunately I don't know much about Linux and its text based codes (The GUI doesn't function on my virtual box).
So far I have installed the virtual box, Linux, and I also have the necessary server details. But when I try and load The server contents, it doesn't load.

I am trying to run them strait from my windows C: drive, but whenever I try and load them it takes a while to start, after which I cuts and describes how it is taking too long to load and there is an error opening from the C: drive.

This is where I need help, I need advice on how to open the server documents in Linux code (I believe I already can do this but some pointers would be nice), and where to store the server documents so they can be opened in the Linux environement.

Thanks, Alex.

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Dedicated server, virtual box

Postby bin.zwieda » Sun 2 Feb 2014 02:42

i run my server also via oracle´s virtualbox.
i also had not too much idea about linux... and i survived the installation without too many scratches on my soul...
;)

what i did (not in total detail, as i may miss something now, but let´s try...)

i downloaded the following from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

EDIT: in the meantime, there may be some newer versions available and/or the following links not work anymore.
just select the recent files with the recent versionnumber in it´s names.

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 06-Win.exe
(the installer for virtualbox)

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... ox-extpack
(some useful extensions, read the readme at the website)

then we need a "live image" of a linux distribution:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/

i took this here
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.2-i386-xfce-desktop.iso

basically:

there are many, many different linux "brands" available.
eugen wants us to use debian 7 (it´s testet and works with the server)

some other may also work, but to keep things simple, we use this debian 7.

next, linux per default has no GUI.
but luckily, there are lots of standard-GUIs for most of the linux versions available.

i personally like the "xfce" GUI, it looks and feels quite windows-ish and it also works nicely with the server.

so, download the mentioned "live cd" with the xfce GUI.

you could boot the virtual system from the live cd, but we will use it as an installer.

this cd image is quite slim, but it has everything it needs, no unneeded gimmicks or software though.

when installing the linux to a harddisk, i choose a virtual disk, which dynamically increases it´s size, when running.
so it don´t take unneeded space and won´t be too small later on, as long as your windows drive has enough space left.

the install is pretty quick and easy to understand, if you have setup some windows machines yet.

i did NOT install unneeded language packs, drivers and other stuff, to keep it slim.

when finisthed, you´ll have an running virtual linux machine in a window.
after that, install the extension pack, you also downloaded.

EDIT: if your VM won´t boot after installing check the following:
stop your VM, go to "System", "CPU", turn PAE/AX "on" !!!!!

be sure to also check readme files and google a bit, as it won´t be easy to think of each and every detail via forum posts.

when setting up the virtual machine, just use 1 cpu coer for it, as little RAM as it allows, also as little graphics memory.
the server needs extremely little resources, so don´t "waste" too much by reserving it for the VM.

i run the VM on the same pc, i play ALB, both at the same time without ANY performance problems at all.

btw: plz also read the other threads in here, as meanwhile there is nearly each and every question answered yet.

also this here:

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=37269

so, when you got your linux running and are able to surf some webpages within your VM, you need to setup your network correctly.

and THIS may get a bit tricky...

you need to setup the VM to have an IP of your local network.
per default, your VM will have "any" ip... and be not accessable from your network.

to be sure: your network at home must be able to "see" your VM as a "real" machine...

i set virtualbox to "bridged" networking (you must read the documentation here!!!) ...
this step really sucked like hell and took me some time to get it running.

it will also depend on your local network config, so i can just give you an basic idea, what to do.

what it´s about: you must be ablo to "ping" your vm from another machine in your network.

EDIT: i set the MAC adress of my VM to be assigned one unique internal ip (within the internal network´s range) by the DHCP server within my router/firewall. the VM is setup to "bridged" (VM manager, "Network", "interface 1"; here you can also see your VMs MAC adress); within the running VM, the DHCP client now gathers the network-config automatically

you also will need to activate portforwarding in your router/firewall, to match the incoming port to the IP of your VM (= thats why you need to configure your VM to an IP adress within your local network)

also this here will be interesting for you:
http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=36939

EDIT: you have to activate UDP and TCP for your portforwarding!

finally, download the server-files to your VM and put it to /your users´s home folder/documents/wargame2-server

now setup your ini files (server setup, admin username, ...)

finally, open a terminal window (its a text-box like a dos shell to enter commandlines)

pwd
lists the directory, you are in
/home/username
ls
lists all the directories and files within the directory
cd Do*
changes to the first object named Do... the * is a wildcard, no need to write the whole names
so, you need to cd into the directory, where your serverfiles are...

YES, there are more "elegant" ways, too...
i do it this way.

when you have arrived in your /Documents/wargame2-server folder (spelling is case sensitive in linux!!!)

then you start the server via the line
./wargame2-server +port THE-PORT-YOU-HAVE-CONFIGURED +port_mms 10804 +ip YOUR-OFFICIAL-IP-ADRESS

CTRL +c within the terminal window stops (cancels) the running server

cursor arrows up/down lets you use terminal-text again (so no need to type things again and again

i prefer to stop the server, setup gamesettings in variables.ini, then start the server again.

you can change most parameters within the running server, but it´s a bit more comfortable to do that in variables.ini directly.

done.

yes, this post may look like, its all terribly complicated.

well, it´s not really... if you are interested in operating systems and networking a bit.

give it a try, take some time, it´ll work.. finally...
;)

report back tomorrow evening, when your server is up and running!
;)
Last edited by bin.zwieda on Wed 26 Feb 2014 21:54, edited 7 times in total.

Hynsei_A.I.
Corporal

Postby Hynsei_A.I. » Sun 2 Feb 2014 14:09

Hey, thanks for the response, its greatly appreciated.

I got as far as the step for installing debian with the gui interface.
But unfortunately whenever I get into the installation, I get to the installing section and it sais "copying data to disk" after which it proceeds to fail and I get an error stating:

"an installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Install the system"

This occurs on both this version xfce and the Ifde version, but not the Amd testing version without GUI.

I tried googleing the solution but I came up with nothing. So I thought I'd better ask.

Thanks. alex.

Edit:
Ok I've managed to run the box in live mode, and it seems to be running fine, it may be easier to just stick to this as the install doesn't seem to be working.

My next issue is configuring the bridge and port. I think I've briged the two fine. But I'm not really sure what to do with the port forwarding and what not, I'll do some more research and see if I can come up with a solution.

Thanks. Alex

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Sun 2 Feb 2014 16:09

the basic idea about the portforwarding:
if you don´t have multiple official IP adresses, you usually "hide" your network behind some router/firewall.

the internet does not know about this.
all you show to it, is your one, unique official IP adress.

if the internet needs to reach one of your devices (in our case: your servrer), you can use a technique, to re-direct internet queries, trying to reach one of your services, to the local IP adress, you are running it on.

i.e:

f.e. you are having the official IP adress 1.2.3.4
at home, you have a little network, running 1 gaming pc (internal ip adress 192.168.1.10) and one server (internal ip 192.168.1.11)

people/services, trying to connect to your server from the internet, try to reach it at 1.2.3.4

but 1.2.3.4 is not 1 dedicated server in your case, but a network.

so, ports mate things possible:

people trying to reach 1.2.3.4:54321 (54321 is an axample for an specific port)

now you use your router/firewall, to redirect this query, coming to your official IP adress, but with port 54321 to be allowed to enter your network, directing the query to your server.

otherwise, your router/firewall couldn´t know, if the internet needs to connect to your pc or your server or any other device of your network...

the long starting-command also uses a port number... THIS is the portnumber, you wanna use for your server, to be reached from the internet.

you setup your router/firewall to translate connectrions, to redirect from this port to the internal IP you use for your VM.

thats the idea.

edit: your error message, when trying to install: you maybe need to do:

before starting the VM, go to system, then cpu, maybe you need to activate "PAE/NX"

Hynsei_A.I.
Corporal

Postby Hynsei_A.I. » Sun 2 Feb 2014 16:50

Ok, I looked up how to access ports, and apparently I need to access the router web page, which I cannot do, I assume this is due to me using a wired network. Is there a way I can access the ports without going to my router web page?

I'm still unsure about how I create or use a port to allow direct access to my server, its a little sketchy. I understood what you said mostly. But I still don't really understand how to make a port to allow access.

Sorry if I'm being slow on this, I'm new to a lot of internet based stuff, but I'm eager to learn. :D

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Sun 2 Feb 2014 18:29

can you tell me the exact name and type/model name of your router?

maybe we can find something in the web.

basically: portforwarding needs to be configured in some menue.
but not each and every router/firewall does support it.

if it does, you most probably will have to configure via some GUI:
servicename, portnumber, ip to map the taffic to

there are tons of "how to"-pages and movies available...
post your router, we´ll se, what we can find.

just an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-R-eHiQco

configuring routers is the safest way via cable.
it can be activated to be done via WIFI, but often disabled for security reasons.

how to access the config will be in the manual... this may differ.

we need to know your routermodel first!

edit: if you have some firewall/switch/hub/ connected to your router, THIS may be the one to connect!

do you only have a router or some other hardware connected, too?

we just need to be sure to be talking about the same...
;)

Hynsei_A.I.
Corporal

Postby Hynsei_A.I. » Sun 2 Feb 2014 18:48

Its a virgin media super hub (vmdg480) , the serial number is 2HA313UD0727C.

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Sun 2 Feb 2014 19:04

Hynsei_A.I.
Corporal

Postby Hynsei_A.I. » Sun 2 Feb 2014 19:05

Yeah that's it.
:D

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Sun 2 Feb 2014 19:08

cool, go to page 16 now...
i´m also reading that atm...
:lol:

did you write down your login and pasword, as suggested on page 25?
;)

edit: ok, it seems to be in the "advanced" section... which is not covered by this manual...
search continues...

edit 2:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=virgin%20media%20superhub%20vmdg480%20port%20forwarding&sm=3

edit 3: do NOT post your password here!!!!!!!!

edit 4: i use port 16543 for my server

so basically: you name a service "wargame", add port 16543 to 16543 (we use only one), tcp and udp, mapped to the IP of your VM.

when startung your server later on via the long command line, you also use port 16543
Last edited by bin.zwieda on Sun 2 Feb 2014 19:28, edited 1 time in total.