Can't connect to own server running on Virtual Machine

Onearmy
Private

Can't connect to own server running on Virtual Machine

Postby Onearmy » Wed 19 Feb 2014 07:47

Hi. I have setup a Virtual Machine running Linux Debian and have my server up and running. People are able to see and connect to my server, however, I cannot see or connect to my own server.

Any help would be appreciated.

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Can't connect to own server running on Virtual Machine

Postby bin.zwieda » Wed 19 Feb 2014 20:40

hi!

let´s give it a try:

"[Eug]Stof wrote:
Are you trying to connect to your server from behind the same router? A lot of routers do not support hairpin nat transversal and so you cannot see or join the server yourself. Although it might be an option you can turn on in your router configuration, it might not be called like that."

source: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=36939&hilit=hairpin+nat+transversal&start=10

btw: what VM are you using?
is it on the same hardware running, as you are playing on, or on a different pc?
can you ping your VM within your network?

Onearmy
Private

Postby Onearmy » Wed 19 Feb 2014 23:00

The VM I am using is Oracle VirtualBox, and yes, I am running the VM on the same machine and network I am trying to play the game on.

I read about it being something to do with hairpin NAT transversal/NAT loopback or whatever, however, after looking around in my router settings, I can't find any option that seems to support this.

If my router indeed does not support hairpin NAT transversal, what other solutions might exist? I can't run the VM on another machine or even another network, as my only option is what I'm currently using.

If it comes down to it, we might have to do remote desktop to figure it out, which I'm fine with. But that's if there's not another easy solution for the problem.

EDIT: And also, as far as I know, I am able to ping my VM from within my network.

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Thu 20 Feb 2014 05:00

hmmm, is there some firmware update for your router available?
maybe they added such a feature?

did you google, if your router has such a feature available?
maybe, some other users have some ideas, running servers for different games?

what router do you have?
what firmware version?

it won´t make any difference, if you run it on the same pc or another one... as long as its in the same network.

lets check this first.
we can make a quick check via teamviewer after that.
just to be sure.

but lets first look for the feature to be at your router.

if you can´t get it, you will have to get a new router.
but let´s think pink first...
;)

maybe also read this:
http://www.pjsip.org/pjnath/docs/html/group__nat__intro.htm
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6047391/nat-translation-not-working-from-inside-the-network-hairpin-condition

edit: you DO have a fixed external IP, right?