[Linux] Game doesn't launch anymore

pyrr
Corporal

[Linux] Game doesn't launch anymore

Postby pyrr » Sun 5 Feb 2017 21:06

Hi, since a week or so, the game doesn't launch anymore.

1) libsteam_api.so not found:

Code: Select all

./WarGame3: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

2) copying libsteam_api.so to /usr/lib removed the error message, but the game still doesn't start:

Code: Select all

assert_20170205195344_19.dmp[9226]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
/tmp/dumps/assert_20170205195344_19.dmp
Game update: AppID 251060 "Wargame: Red Dragon", ProcID 9228, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/archon/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
>>> Adding process 9228 for game ID 251060
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/archon/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 251060
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197970036190 [API loaded no]
>>> Adding process 9229 for game ID 251060
CAPIJobRequestUserStats - Server response failed 2

This happens both with steam runtimes enabled and disabled. 64-bit Manjaro. Intel i7 + GTX 1070 on 375.26.
Did the usual things: verify cache, steam --reset, reinstalling game.

It's very much possible that the above error messages are not related to the fact that the game isn't starting.
Does the game rely on old gstreamer0.10 packages? These were removed from Arch.

chykka
Brigadier

Re: [Linux] Game doesn't launch anymore

Postby chykka » Mon 6 Feb 2017 01:54

Apparently that Distribution isn't supported, I'm pretty sure Ubuntu will be and maybe Damian will work fine. You mention Manjaro was working though, could be a way around if you pinpoint the problem. The Game Overlay shouldn't effect if game boots or not,

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Mon 6 Feb 2017 10:58

Thanks for your answer.

The game has always worked with Manjaro (which is basically Arch Linux).
Never had a problem during the last 18 months.

My debugging skills are not very developed, but the usual suspects have already been eliminated.
I reinstalled steam, did a "steam --reset", tried with both the Steam runtimes and native runtimes. Also reinstalled the game.
Unfortunately I don't get any further debug/log messages.

I can send the dumps to Eugen, but last time I did that (for another problem, a year ago), I didn't receive any answer at all.

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Mon 6 Feb 2017 14:28

Just one more thing: The libsteam_api.so problem seems to be the primary issue, I suppose the game is looking for that file in /usr/lib instead of the game directory. Preloading with LD_PRELOAD doesn't work.

What exactly changed (game-wise) in the last 2 weeks?
I saw there was an update 13 days ago, but does that update also concern the Linux version of the game?
Would be cool if a Eugen dev could shed some light. Yeah, I know, Linux gamers are a minor minority :)

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Mon 6 Feb 2017 17:00

can you run it on just the Cpu and eliminate possibility of it being an nvidea issue?

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Mon 6 Feb 2017 17:18

How would you do that? You mean disabling OpenGL?
My nvidia drivers and settings haven't changed since the last time the game worked - with the exception of the nvidia module being recompiled against the latest kernel.

Here are some more stats: Intel Haswell-E, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1070 with 375.26 drivers, kernel 4.9 (I will also test the old 4.4 just to be sure).

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Mon 6 Feb 2017 17:35

you can try pulling out the dedicated card, and using the proper intel driver you could try to use integrated graphics instead of using Open GL at all (I think on windows I'm using Vulkan) (how ever i'm sure you'd rather use your dedicated 1070 card). I not sure the exact driver you will need, but if you plug your display into the mobo instead of your card could be the issue. Steam on linux I heard something about the graphics cards needing some work to work with steam on linux or that was Steam OS as it's still working through bugs. I don't really suggest this as a fix actually if it works you haven't fixed the problem but could help trouble shoot what the problem could be.

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Mon 6 Feb 2017 18:50

Thanks for your reply.
My processor doesn't have an integrated graphics unit...
Also please note that other games (didn't test them all of course) work well on Steam. It's just WG:RD that won't start.

pyrr
Corporal

[Solved ] Re: [Linux] Game doesn't launch anymore

Postby pyrr » Mon 6 Feb 2017 22:26

Problem solved.

I had to remove every trace of the game from my /home partition and redownload the game.
There must have been some defunct files in the game directory, which weren't picked up by Steam's integerity check.

Thanks for your attention.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Tue 7 Feb 2017 18:33

Thanks for letting us know :)

Return to “Tech Support”