Modding RD

Mot
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Modding RD

Postby Mot » Thu 10 Apr 2014 12:18

Elouda wrote:Hmm, interesting things I've done as part of testing or proof of concept...
Making large (ie non RPG/LAW) HEAT and KE rounds do double damage on penetration - works, will probably be using this to make armoured combat appropriately lethal.

I done this in my WALB modding tests, my idea was to try out a new way of simulating damage. Instead of assigning a damage to each AP value, the AP value would be solely about the capability to pierce the enemy armor. The damage would be given by the shell itself. And most likely that's how I will end up making my mod.

Elouda wrote:You can also do 'autoloaders' by altering the effect different suppression levels have on the units RoF, as these are unit specific. Its more work, but on the other hand should avoid issues like that, and in addition mean you can do intermediate stages.

For example when testing stuff for an eventual mod I set Autoloaders to only suffer 25% of the RoF penalty compared to regular tanks, in return for a lower base rate of fire. It worked just fine.

That's a very interesting solution, thank you for sharing it.
"I suck at Wargame" or "I have to wait 30 minutes to pubstomp people" are not solid arguments to criticize the game... just saying.

Elouda
Master Sergeant

Postby Elouda » Thu 10 Apr 2014 15:37

The W:AB Noob wrote:Very impressive!
How did you make AGM-130's and expecially the gun pod???
And what about the Cat D? How do you set year limits for decks?

The AGM-130s are basically a much meaner version of the Swedish guided HE missile - I swapped them onto the wing pylons (using the Kh-29 model at the time) and made the fuselage stations AIM120s. Its actually the only one of the above that I took pictures of (during closed beta);

The gun pod was not a graphical change, just a test to see if I could make the US navy F-4 models actually shoot guns since they dont have one by default. As said, it works just like any other gun and will fire from where the vulcan is located on the model. As gunpods were standard as part of F-4 air to air loadouts after Vietnam I see no reason why it shouldnt carry one.

The CAT D addition is a real pain. I actually realised it was possible by accident as I was looking at shifting the dates on Cat B to 1987 - basically you have to add a whole load of new stuff, both for the deck category itself and all combinations its allowed to exist with, plus manually move all units that belong in it to it. The only bit I can't seem to do is add a little graphic like the 1980+ to show in lobbies. I will write a detailed guide on how to do this if there is interest once the beta is over and patching calms down a little.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 11 Apr 2014 00:30

Wow, those are some crazy modding discoveries by Elouda, COMThing, and Mot. I assumed that you had to manually insert every allowable unit in a deck, but I am still amazed you even got to change a year limit. You guys should really collaborate on a huge, realistic mod.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 11 Apr 2014 01:45

Don't suppose you could do a loadout changing tutorial Elouda? I've tried messing around with missile carriage before but always found it to be a crash causing pain in the ass.

Cheers.

COMThing
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby COMThing » Fri 11 Apr 2014 06:58

Mikeboy wrote:Don't suppose you could do a loadout changing tutorial Elouda? I've tried messing around with missile carriage before but always found it to be a crash causing pain in the ass.

Cheers.

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=42290

I have explained it in this topic in the ALB forums :)

EDIT: At least the model changes. For weapon changes all you need to do is change the weapon references

Elouda
Master Sergeant

Postby Elouda » Fri 11 Apr 2014 09:00

Mikeboy wrote:Don't suppose you could do a loadout changing tutorial Elouda? I've tried messing around with missile carriage before but always found it to be a crash causing pain in the ass.

Cheers.

The above covers it rather well, but if youd like a specific example I can write one up with screenshots, etc. Just let me know what you'd like used as an example.

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 11 Apr 2014 13:38

Thanks, that should have me sorted. :)

EDIT: And the results.

(Skin by Vasto)

I am having a couple of problems with turning the F-16C Block 52 into a cluster bomber though
1) The bombs are on the plane when flying and dissapear when launched, but between being dropped off the plane and the explosion there's no model.
2) How do I make/disable something a primary weapon so the plane (doesn't) evacs when it's used?

Elouda
Master Sergeant

Postby Elouda » Fri 11 Apr 2014 18:27

Mikeboy wrote:Thanks, that should have me sorted. :)

EDIT: And the results.

(Skin by Vasto)

I am having a couple of problems with turning the F-16C Block 52 into a cluster bomber though
1) The bombs are on the plane when flying and dissapear when launched, but between being dropped off the plane and the explosion there's no model.
2) How do I make/disable something a primary weapon so the plane (doesn't) evacs when it's used?

Very nice so far. Was going suggest these two as challenges if you want to try new stuff;
A) Swap the locations of the AMRAAMs and MK84s on the F-15E.
B) Swap a plane with bombs like the CF-18 with clusters to missiles, or vice versa.

You seem to be doing the latter based on your question. Heres some help;

1) You need to alter the Actions list under TDepictionTemplate for that unit. In particular, you need to find the Actions keyed to weapon_effect_tag#, and change them from TSoundHappening to TCompositeHappening. Look at a cluster bomber like the F-16A for examples.

Likewise when you switched the F-16C to AGM-65 (should be D or G versions =P), you should ideally do the same, by switching the TCompositeHappening for the relevant weapon_effect_tag# to TSoundHappening. If you dont, you might get 'ghost' bomb trails when you fire the missiles, in addition to the missile effect.

2) This is controlled by TAirplaneDescriptor module under TUniteDescriptor. You can get here via the CompanyUnit reference from TUniteAuSol, or directly. SalvoIsMainSalvo is the field that controls the flagging. Take note that many planes use the same TAirplaneDescriptor so rather than edit it just change the reference to the one with the loadout logic you want.

If you need more detail just ask.

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 11 Apr 2014 19:23

Thanks, that's sorted everything out fine, after a bit of testing I should upload a full set of changes.

I actually did Challenge #1 first time, but wasn't so fond of the look. Of course the actual loadout I'd want in a perfect world would be a TER on each pylon with a fuel tank, Sidewinder and AMRAAM.

Elouda
Master Sergeant

Postby Elouda » Fri 11 Apr 2014 20:00

Mikeboy wrote:Thanks, that's sorted everything out fine, after a bit of testing I should upload a full set of changes.

I actually did Challenge #1 first time, but wasn't so fond of the look. Of course the actual loadout I'd want in a perfect world would be a TER on each pylon with a fuel tank, Sidewinder and AMRAAM.

Yeah, pity.

I had to do the switch as the AGM-130 cant be carried on the CFTs, so had to put em under the wings.