[Functional requirements] Change tracker/apply mod to update

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

[Functional requirements] Change tracker/apply mod to update

Postby enohka » Sat 29 Mar 2014 08:28

Hello fellow modders,

I understand that creating non vanilla conform mods for RD is a mess at the moment - once a new game version comes out you have to either run your own branch of the outdated version or you have to apply all your changes to the new version all over again.

In order to solve this big problem, I see the need of implementig a functionality track all changes you've done and apply them to another version of the gamefiles. It's a tough feature to implement and needs some serious brainstorming to obtain an overview/list of the nessecary functionality.

This thread is thought to to this brainstorming and gather a list of required features. It's more meant to the people who understand the ndf format a bit, but of course for all people who are doing bigger mods or have done them in the past.

Your turn!

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: [Functional requirements] Change tracker/apply mod to up

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 29 Mar 2014 09:59

enohka wrote:Hello fellow modders,

I understand that creating non vanilla conform mods for RD is a mess at the moment - once a new game version comes out you have to either run your own branch of the outdated version or you have to apply all your changes to the new version all over again.

In order to solve this big problem, I see the need of implementig a functionality track all changes you've done and apply them to another version of the gamefiles. It's a tough feature to implement and needs some serious brainstorming to obtain an overview/list of the nessecary functionality.

This thread is thought to to this brainstorming and gather a list of required features. It's more meant to the people who understand the ndf format a bit, but of course for all people who are doing bigger mods or have done them in the past.

Your turn!

Wow. So basically, a more detailed and complex version of Vasto's mod installer. Sounds great to me, but unfortunately, i do not know anything about programming. One thing I would like to see for my movie mod is that if this does come out, you can say change all the instances to something - like all units to year 1955 or all units to ANZAC.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

elpha01
First Sergeant

Postby elpha01 » Sat 29 Mar 2014 13:33

+1, it is the most urgent thing that we need, there are so much updates and DLC, than the can't keep old versions.
Image IIEN 2017

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Sun 30 Mar 2014 01:55

Could you have it export a changelog to a text file (with the ability to update that text file in future), then have the ability to 'run' that changelog on a different gamedata file perhaps?

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 1 Apr 2014 17:36

That's exactly what I requested some time ago viewtopic.php?f=161&t=35461&p=513424#p442037
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Tue 1 Apr 2014 21:58

Certainly need this. I cant bring myself to mod knowing it'll be obsolete in 2 days or so :P

Randomletters
First Sergeant

Postby Randomletters » Tue 1 Apr 2014 23:54

I'll third generated changelogs, I'd also like to be able to compare two .ndf files and see the exact differences between them.

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Sat 5 Apr 2014 06:21

Is there any progress on this?
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Return to “Modding”