Modding Questions Thread

Mozria
Private First-Class

Re: Modding Questions Thread

Postby Mozria » Sun 3 Dec 2017 08:11

If you use WMS to open the ZZ.dat file in the folder 510061340 (within the 510060540 folder, which is in WARGAME > PC), you can find all unit names and associated hashes within the game. You can also edit those names linked to the hashes and make new names that you compute new hashes for (the software can do it for you).

Unit skins is slightly more complicated, but it's tied to your vehicle's AppearanceModel and is easy enough to change. Just keep in mind that the AppearanceModels for planes, helicopters and such often do not have the same missile/rocket pod/bomb loadouts and you will need to either change all units using that model (generally just one) or just use the information on an independent AppearanceModel module that you build.

DrAlex
Private

Postby DrAlex » Sun 3 Dec 2017 11:48

Mozria wrote:...

Thanks but I already knew all that :)

But it doesn't work. I think its because this weapon is not unique, ie used in Ka-50 as well. To confirm this I changed anti-ship missile moskit for su-27k to 10km. It kinda worked, but only because by default udaloy and other ships already have this missile at 10km, while su-27 was given a gimped rocket, trying to increase it further failed. Same for Su-25t - Vihkr missiles are used by Ka-50.

I checked MissileDescriptor, and its tagged Missile_Vihr for su25 and Missile_Vihr_helios for Ka-50, so in theory they should work independently but they are not. In armory btw most soviet atgm range was recolored to red(since new value for su-25 is 6km, which is cean/best), showing that my change was "registered" but something else is holding it to old hardcoded/hidden(?) value of 3.3km. (ka-50 is 2.8)

Weapons that only exist on single unit work just fine.
Any ideas? :idea:

Stormforge
Private

Postby Stormforge » Sun 3 Dec 2017 11:58

Alright thanks, wasn't quite grasping what Sireyn was talking about with the unit names.

Thanks for the heads up on the loadouts too.

Sireyn
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Mon 4 Dec 2017 09:23

Mozria wrote:There have been a few times where I have been trying to add new turrets, weapons and corresponding models and effects to certain units within the game. This has generally gone smoothly, but there have been a few times where I can not do so without either crashing the game upon launch or running into some unexpected results.

This is an extremely complex area to mod. If everything is not perfect, you will have problems. I found myself filling a page trying to explain each question, so I'll try and keep it concise and we can work out exactly what you're missing.

Mozria wrote:The first situation has generally occurred when adding effects for previously non-present weapons to units, such as an M61 Vulcan for the F-4J Phantom II and an M3P (High-ROF M2 Browning, I used a modified instance of the M2 on the J-21 Jastreb as a base) on the M1097 Avenger.

On the former, the weapon works fine but has no effects- be they audible or visual. It has impact effects when I tell what is now an F-4E to "fire on position," but no tracers or sweet BRRRRRRAP from the gun firing. The M3P for the Avenger has the same problems, but I think that there is probably an added dimension in that the Stinger Cs that the vehicle normally has as its only weapon are on "null" for the SalvoStockIndex and SalvoStockIndex_ForInterface.

This sounds like a problem in the ApparenceModel module. For the Phantom, did you remember to fill in the trigger box after copying the TCompositeHappening? If you model it directly after something like the German F-4F, it works just fine.

The M3P for the Avenger might require the weapon to be contained in the existing turret. Mine works with the following arrangement.
Spoiler : :
WeaponManager
ApparenceModel

Both Working

There are a few items that influence how special effects are linked between the WeaponManager and ApparenceModel.
[Modules > WeaponManager > TurretDescriptor]
- tourelle (identifies the turret the weapon is attached to)
- TargetPositionTurret
- FlyingTimeAndHit

[Modules > WeaponManager > Turret > MountedWeapon]
- weapon_effet_tag (directly links to the special effect in the ApparenceModel)

[Modules > ApparenceModel > Depiction > Actions]
- TCompositeHappening and TSoundHappening
Double clicking these will produce two boxes. The trigger box contains the weapon_effet_tag (which should match up with the weapon in the WeaponManager), the kind of firing (tir = fire)(tir_c = fire continuous), and the effect count (in case of duplicate effect ID's for this weapon_effet_tag)

[Modules > ApparenceModel > Depiction > Actions > TCompositeHappening > TFiringHappening]
- TargetPositionTurret
- FlyingTimeAndHit

Mozria wrote:I take it that this is just due to its not having another weapon (and therefore another salvo) to specify, but I would think that my altering those integers to "1" and adding the M3P as "2" might have upset something with the vehicle's weapon mechanics. After all, it does only have one pylon available and I don't really know how those work.

The turrets on the model are really just reference points for special effects to play. There is nothing stopping a T-72 from firing anti-aircraft Buratino rockets from its machine gun while retaining all of the original functionality.

There are pylons on aircraft and some helicopters that work slightly differently. These are points to attach models, such as bombs and rocket pods, and are specific to each unit model. You can have working weapons and special effects without these additional weapon models.

The Salvo's only influence its ammo usage. SalvoStockIndex links to Salves, in the main WeaponManager window, and dictates how much ammo the unit has based on salvos, not individual rounds. SalvoStockIndex_ForInterface is which order the weapons appear in the unit's info panel in the game. You can use this to merge or separate weapon slots, even if they are completely different weapons.

Mozria wrote:I have one other question, this time on the way that MissileCarriage works and how the lack of it on many helicopters such as the Mi-28 and the Mi-24VP (Mi-24, 25 and some transports seem to be exceptions) affects the way that rocket pods and ATGM tubes appear on models. I want to give what is essentially a North Korean Mi-24VP four S-13 pods and eight Kokon-Ms in the appropriate quad tubes (Mi-24V and the Mi-35 have the proper arrangement), but so far I cannot get those to appear visually.

For most helicopters, especially Eugen's older models, the pods are built into the model and do not dynamically change. They are only positions for special effects to play. Look at the Tigre's or KA-50 to see what fully modifiable helicopter pylons look like.

Mozria wrote:Based on what I have learned about altering the missile models and arrangements on planes, today, I could probably mess around with things for an hour or two and figure out some of it. Just as possible, however, is that I would present myself with constant failed attempts and CTDs that would show it to be a complete waste of time.

I've wasted many hours attempting this procedure.

Mozria wrote:Therefore, in addition to my previous questions, I would like to ask you how non-MissileCarriage-influenced missile allotments and models work.

The missile carriage allows a physical model to attach to the unit model and then disappear dynamically after firing. The missiles will still appear and launch from whatever turret position it is attached to, just like ground vehicle atgm's.

Mozria wrote:Thank you for your attention.

If you need more detailed instructions, feel free to ask. This isn't an easy topic to understand or explain, and step-by-step instructions are extremely long-winded.

Mozria
Private First-Class

Postby Mozria » Tue 12 Dec 2017 21:37

How does one go about changing a unit's AI behavior so that it does not immediately "Evac WInchester" as soon as it is out of bombs?

I would like to make an upgraded A-10 that I will stick Rockeyes on in addition to some AGM-65Es, but I want it to be able to stick around after it drops the cluster bombs.

Sireyn
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Tue 12 Dec 2017 23:20

How does one go about changing a unit's AI behavior so that it does not immediately "Evac WInchester" as soon as it is out of bombs?

Evac Winchester is an option you can toggle in the Gameplay Options. Alternatively, you can change the "SalvoIsMainSalvo" bool within the WeaponManager in the modding suite.

I would like to make an upgraded A-10 that I will stick Rockeyes on in addition to some AGM-65Es, but I want it to be able to stick around after it drops the cluster bombs.

I've been unsuccessful in mounting anything to any additional pylons to the A-10. You can, however, get the additional weapon to function correctly and produce proper special effects without the extra 3D model.