Modding Questions Thread

Sir_F3rn
Private

Re: Modding Questions Thread

Postby Sir_F3rn » Wed 26 Apr 2017 15:18

Hi, I love unicorn units and I'm thinking of making them more OP, so far I figured out how to change almost all unit stats. I have few questions. Did anyone figure out how to make CIWS target ATGM yet? Are ship's countermeasure smokes just effect, or can I put it on tank? Have anyone done custom models? I'm thinking of making AC-130. I already figured out how to make MOAB with proper area damage, but explosion effect just doesn't look as it should, did anyone experiment with effects?

And I'm sorry, I tried to search for those, but I found conflicting information and almost 3 year old posts.

Sireyn
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Wed 26 Apr 2017 19:26

Original Post
Spoiler : :
Sir_F3rn wrote:Hi, I love unicorn units and I'm thinking of making them more OP, so far I figured out how to change almost all unit stats. I have few questions. Did anyone figure out how to make CIWS target ATGM yet? Are ship's countermeasure smokes just effect, or can I put it on tank? Have anyone done custom models? I'm thinking of making AC-130. I already figured out how to make MOAB with proper area damage, but explosion effect just doesn't look as it should, did anyone experiment with effects?

And I'm sorry, I tried to search for those, but I found conflicting information and almost 3 year old posts.

Did anyone figure out how to make CIWS target ATGM yet?

Just did some experimenting and figured it out. There are three things that need to be in place.

1. Open the missile you want to be targetable by CIWS (TAmmunition)
2. Open the Missile Descriptor and expand the Modules list
3. Add a new module- [Table String: Damage], [Object Reference: TModuleSelector : 93820]
4a. Open Flags and add a new UInt32 with a value of 57
4b. Add a new UInt32 with a value of 10
(Usually you'll want to create a unique TFlagsModuleDescriptor reference)
5. Open Position and set InGeoDb to True

Are ship's countermeasure smokes just effect, or can I put it on tank?

This is related to the Flare module, just like aircraft flares. I've seen others experiment with putting it on tanks as a "CIWS", combined with targetable atgm's it allowed it to pop smoke to avoid being hit. I don't know how far it got or how well it worked.

Have anyone done custom models?

Custom models aren't possible. The best I've seen is hex edits to switch existing unit parts around, but that was buggy and often resulted in crashes.

I already figured out how to make MOAB with proper area damage, but explosion effect just doesn't look as it should, did anyone experiment with effects?

I remember others experimenting with this and the problem was with the effect duration. I don't know if it was irresolvable. Perhaps someone out there has more recent information?
Last edited by Sireyn on Fri 7 Jul 2017 05:04, edited 4 times in total.

Sir_F3rn
Private

Postby Sir_F3rn » Wed 26 Apr 2017 19:37

BY effects I meant visuals, for now bigger fireball would be enough.

Sireyn
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Wed 26 Apr 2017 23:02

Sir_F3rn wrote:BY effects I meant visuals, for now bigger fireball would be enough.

Effect size seems to be determined by "RadiusSplashPhysicalDamages" within TAmmunition. However there seems to be a maximum size before the screen pauses during the effect. (explosion is still pretty small)

I haven't done any testing but you should check out the "TImpactHappening" class. I've seen some references to special effects regarding munitions. "TImpactHappening : Instance 102947 : Map 5 : Map 0" references missed artillery impacts on terrain.

I updated my previous post about atgm's and CIWS, so there is one answered question at least.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 30 Apr 2017 00:19

Thanks for your great work, Sireyn!
Sireyn wrote:
Are ship's countermeasure smokes just effect, or can I put it on tank?

This is related to the Flare module, just like aircraft flares. I've seen others experiment with putting it on tanks as a "CIWS", combined with targetable atgm's it allowed it to pop smoke to avoid being hit. I don't know how far it got or how well it worked.

Narc Black and I tried, couldn't get the flare module to do anything. But it definitely is needed for the effect.

Sireyn wrote:
Have anyone done custom models?

Custom models aren't possible. The best I've seen is hex edits to switch existing unit parts around, but that was buggy and often resulted in crashes.

I've never even seen that! It looks like there is a way to extract, but not replace models. However, there may be a model editor coming for SDN44, which would probably also let us mod the models for W:RD.

Sireyn wrote:
Sir_F3rn wrote:BY effects I meant visuals, for now bigger fireball would be enough.

Effect size seems to be determined by "RadiusSplashPhysicalDamages" within TAmmunition. However there seems to be a maximum size before the screen pauses during the effect. (explosion is still pretty small)

I haven't done any testing but you should check out the "TImpactHappening" class. I've seen some references to special effects regarding munitions. "TImpactHappening : Instance 102947 : Map 5 : Map 0" references missed artillery impacts on terrain.

I updated my previous post about atgm's and CIWS, so there is one answered question at least.

I believe the maximum is 3000.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Pyro
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Pyro » Wed 3 May 2017 15:10

Sireyn wrote:

Just did some experimenting and figured it out. There are three things that need to be in place.

3. Add a new module- [Table String: Damage], [Object Reference: TModuleSelector : 93820]
4. Open Flags and add a new UInt32 with a value of 57

That is sufficient to target the missile, but to actually shoot it down you also need to add another line to the flags module with a value of 10. Good work on the rest of it though, Sireyn, saved me a lot of time - thank you.

Sireyn
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Wed 3 May 2017 18:45

Pyro wrote:
Spoiler : :
Sireyn wrote:

4. Open Flags and add a new UInt32 with a value of 57

That is sufficient to target the missile, but to actually shoot it down you also need to add another line to the flags module with a value of 10. Good work on the rest of it though, Sireyn, saved me a lot of time - thank you.

Oh, I see. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll update my original post.

Pyro
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Pyro » Thu 4 May 2017 16:55

Sireyn, since you worked out the ATGM/CIWS so well, I wonder if you could do a small favour for me? I'm currently stumped and need a fresh set of eyes to try some things out.

What I have is the ability to target ATGMs as per your findings. This is successful only if in a separate turret*. If in the same turret as the main gun, then the main gun will fire at tank-like targets, and the CIWS will completely ignore the approaching ATGM. However, turn the main gun off and the CIWS then fires at the missile. Put the CIWS in a separate turret and they both fire at their respective targets.

What I am trying to achieve is to be able to put the CIWS in the same turret as the main gun. The reason for doing so is that I want the direction the CIWS fires at to be the same facing as the main turret; if it is in a separate turret it can fire in any direction. I want the main gun to fire at its regular targets, but when an ATGM approaches the CIWS should interrupt this fire, take priority, and fire at the ATGM (slewing the turret if necessary).

I understand that only one weapon in a turret can fire at once, so it is a question of priority. This is what I have tried so far to give the CIWS priority over the main gun: made the PHit of the CIWS massively better than the main gun; made the CIWS TMountedWeapon earlier in the list of weapons mounted in the turret; made the CIWS take ammo from the first salvo slot; set up IsMainSalvo as true and made the CIWS salvo slot the priority. None of this works,the CIWS stubbornly refuses to fire unless the main gun is manually switched off.

I've done a lot of changes and weird things, so it may be some other setting that is preventing it from firing. So if you can get it to work then we can compare notes and figure out what is going on.

Setting up test: I made selected missile tanks fire ATGMs doing 0.1 damage, and had the CIWS target tanks fire back and also do only 0.1 damage. I made the ATGM tanks only be able to fire when stopped and gave everyone lots of ammo (missiles only for the ATGM tanks). So they ding-dong away firing at each other endlessly and I can try out a few things.

*Turrets - a note for those not familiar with this term. Every weapon is mounted in a turret, there can be many turrets in every unit. Each turret has a collection of weapons, a separate slew rate, etc. Turret in this context does mean just the single turret on a tank, it is a much broader definition.

Sireyn
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Thu 4 May 2017 22:31

Pyro wrote:Sireyn, since you worked out the ATGM/CIWS so well, I wonder if you could do a small favour for me? I'm currently stumped and need a fresh set of eyes to try some things out.

What I have is the ability to target ATGMs as per your findings. This is successful only if in a separate turret*. If in the same turret as the main gun, then the main gun will fire at tank-like targets, and the CIWS will completely ignore the approaching ATGM. However, turn the main gun off and the CIWS then fires at the missile. Put the CIWS in a separate turret and they both fire at their respective targets.

What I am trying to achieve is to be able to put the CIWS in the same turret as the main gun. The reason for doing so is that I want the direction the CIWS fires at to be the same facing as the main turret; if it is in a separate turret it can fire in any direction. I want the main gun to fire at its regular targets, but when an ATGM approaches the CIWS should interrupt this fire, take priority, and fire at the ATGM (slewing the turret if necessary).

I understand that only one weapon in a turret can fire at once, so it is a question of priority. This is what I have tried so far to give the CIWS priority over the main gun: made the PHit of the CIWS massively better than the main gun; made the CIWS TMountedWeapon earlier in the list of weapons mounted in the turret; made the CIWS take ammo from the first salvo slot; set up IsMainSalvo as true and made the CIWS salvo slot the priority. None of this works,the CIWS stubbornly refuses to fire unless the main gun is manually switched off.

I've done a lot of changes and weird things, so it may be some other setting that is preventing it from firing. So if you can get it to work then we can compare notes and figure out what is going on.

Setting up test: I made selected missile tanks fire ATGMs doing 0.1 damage, and had the CIWS target tanks fire back and also do only 0.1 damage. I made the ATGM tanks only be able to fire when stopped and gave everyone lots of ammo (missiles only for the ATGM tanks). So they ding-dong away firing at each other endlessly and I can try out a few things.

This is something I haven't wrapped my head around yet. I have the same issue when I add mortars to the main turret on Merkavas, except they will refuse to reflexively fire the main gun at targets I had previously targeted with mortars. TirReflexe in TAmmunition seems awfully suspicious. I'll get back to you if I discover anything.

A workaround you can try is putting CIWS in a separate turret and limiting the traverse to only fire forwards using AngleRotationMax. The value is in radians. http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/degrees-to-radians.htm?x=55&y=

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 5 May 2017 01:28

It's so great to see two fantastic modders helping each other! :)
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Return to “Modding”