Modding Questions Thread

Mozria
Corporal

Re: Modding Questions Thread

Postby Mozria » Thu 21 Dec 2017 00:27

Does anyone know what happens if you add KE effects to rockets with splash damage? If the rocket misses the target, it will likely do splash AP damage to it, but will the damage scaling be from the firing platform or will it be from the impact site of the rocket?

I am asking because I want to see if I can make weapons in the game simulate more closely the armor-penetrating effects of some munitions' fragmention characteristics that allow them to be substantial threats to more lightly armored vehicles.

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Thu 21 Dec 2017 13:38

I would also like to know two other things that are quite unrelated to each other.

First, how does one remove or add the attribute of a weapon making its platform being vulnerable to SEAD while active? I am not asking if I can do this without removing the [RAD] label, as that isn't specifically what I want and they are most likely connected.

The other detail is whether or not I can produce cluster weapon cosmetic effects with HE munitions, in order to simulate airburst projectiles. If this can be done, can the gun be made to shoot over the target and have the shells detonate there?

Oh, one addition. Could I potentially make an ATGM (like the Rbs 56) perform flyover top-attack kills with the addition of cluster effects? Perhaps the damage radius would need to be tightened significantly to constrain the possibility of "extra" kills, but it sounds at least plausible to me.

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Thu 21 Dec 2017 17:52

First, how does one remove or add the attribute of a weapon making its platform being vulnerable to SEAD while active? I am not asking if I can do this without removing the [RAD] label, as that isn't specifically what I want and they are most likely connected.

I believe a unit being targetable by SEAD is linked directly to its TAmmunition and whether or not the "Guidance" field is filled with a "1". This is also enough to change whether or not the [RAD] label appears.

The other detail is whether or not I can produce cluster weapon cosmetic effects with HE munitions, in order to simulate airburst projectiles. If this can be done, can the gun be made to shoot over the target and have the shells detonate there?

I believe you can use the cluster effect, but the explosion would apply the same HE across the entire blast radius, instantly killing all infantry (even in cities) and potentially all light skinned vehicles. As far as the gun firing angle, I'm not sure, I've never tested this on a ground weapon. It seems to me that cluster munitions will detonate a certain distance before its calculated impact, so a shot from a ground vehicle would have a forward blast instead of downward. Just as well, what would a miss look like?

If you decide to test this yourself, I'd be interested to hear your findings. You should only have to consider the TCompositeHappening and the TAmmunition > IsSubAmmunition if memory serves.

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Sat 23 Dec 2017 13:31

The W:AB Noob wrote:
CRASHER47 wrote:Hello guys, i'm "maybe" near to add flares to a helicopter, as its not crashing for the moment, its just not showing up, even with the ECM thing filed, like with -0.2 ( 20%), i have added FlareModule ( my game don't crash, but i'm not sure its necessary as some planes dont have FlareModule but have ECM... and i found in AppearanceModel>Actions>TSequenceHappening the fx of flares called fx_flares. I have added it but nothing appears ingame, any idea ? As my game don't crash for the moment, last time it crashed hardly when i tried (i was more noob at that time)

Narc Black and I dug pretty deep into this one time, but still didn't get it. If I recall, there were more than just those 3 things to modify.

Flares on helicopters is actually pretty simple. You only need 3 things.

1. Make sure the unit has an ECM modifier

2. Add the "FlareModule" to the main list of modules

3a. Generate a copy of an existing "TSequenceHappening" from a plane that has the trigger of "fx_flare"
3b. Add the copy to the "Actions" list in the ApparenceModel module (dont forget to add the fx_flare trigger)
3c. Open the TSequenceHappening until you see "SousMobile". This is where the effect links to the model. "FX_Chaleur_01" worked for my Ka-50, which is the engine one heat exhaust, but you can check the list of TSequenceHappening's for other potential FX locations.

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Sun 24 Dec 2017 08:13

I have heard several times that if you desire to add a transport vehicle to a certain nation then you must remove one as well, apparently in order to avoid problems of some sort. Nothing that I have seen has been very precise on any of it.

Is this true? If so, what necessitates this action and why would ignoring it cause the game to stop properly functioning?

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Sun 24 Dec 2017 15:08

I've never heard of this. I have added, removed, and reorganized many transports between nations without issue. The only change that turning a unit into a transport has is that the unit no longer appears on its own; it is selectable only alongside the unit it transports.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 25 Dec 2017 01:18

Mozria wrote:I have heard several times that if you desire to add a transport vehicle to a certain nation then you must remove one as well, apparently in order to avoid problems of some sort. Nothing that I have seen has been very precise on any of it.

Is this true? If so, what necessitates this action and why would ignoring it cause the game to stop properly functioning?

Never heard of that either, maybe you're confused with the fact that you must remove that certain transport as a default spawn option for infantry in the previous country?
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Mon 25 Dec 2017 02:11

Wow, I'm surprised. I also heard that there was a maximum number of allowable instances (apparently based off of the limited number of digits available in the instance references) that you needed to be careful not to exceed, which also ended up being incorrect.

I honestly forget where I heard these things, but I do know it wasn't just from one source.

Perhaps it was something related to ALB? Does ALB have those issues?

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Thu 28 Dec 2017 22:36

Wow, I'm surprised. I also heard that there was a maximum number of allowable instances (apparently based off of the limited number of digits available in the instance references) that you needed to be careful not to exceed, which also ended up being incorrect.

I honestly forget where I heard these things, but I do know it wasn't just from one source.

Perhaps it was something related to ALB? Does ALB have those issues?

I've never heard of such a thing to begin with, though I didn't begin my Wargame modding adventures until Red Dragon. As far as I'm aware, this is nothing to be concerned with. I've generated hundreds, if not thousands of instances for my personal project and encounter no issues.

Should you come across a source, please post it.

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Sun 7 Jan 2018 16:03

I'm looking to convert the USA's SMAW team into a five-man MG team with an M2 heavy machine gun. To do this I will need to make a new TAmmo, and for its UI icon I would like to see if I could use the tripod-mounted M2 that is displayed on transports that have fire support infantry embarked.

Where would I find this icon, and would it be of the proper type or resolution for displaying in the unit menu?

Return to “Modding”