Modding Questions Thread

Mozria
Corporal

Re: Modding Questions Thread

Postby Mozria » Mon 8 Jan 2018 11:38

I also have a question on the location of effects files that I can use to mess with the way that grenade launchers fire. I am not happy with how they operate in the base game (many of my friends think that they are terribly OP, and I think that I agree at this stage), and I want to make them fire in four-round bursts in which the rounds all travel to the same area, then do another "shot" with an independent burst hitroll after that. I think I know how to do it with the TAmmunition parameters, but getting the FX to support it is a different task.

One major thing I'd like to know is how to look at files that I can see referenced in the TableString lists, especially in a way that I could use a search function versus just scrolling through thousands of entries like I have to with WMS. One example would be GameData:/Assets/Sons/SFX_Wargame/Bullet/SFX_Tir_GMG_Single.wav. I would personally really like to find a tir_c version of it that would go with full-auto bursts, but I might be able to make it work if I adjust the WaitBetweenShot value in the TFiringHappening and change TAmmo to manage the firing as four real shots with a burst delay how I'd like it. I honestly wouldn't prefer that, though, as I would like to make the Mk 19 and other AGLs fire a few such bursts and then have to reload.

At this stage, I wouldn't doubt that my knowledge isn't quite there in terms of how this all works. I may be wrong on how the burst effects relate to the TAmmo values and how TFiringHappening relates (or doesn't relate) to TSoundHappening.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 10 Jan 2018 06:24

Mozria wrote:One major thing I'd like to know is how to look at files that I can see referenced in the TableString lists, especially in a way that I could use a search function versus just scrolling through thousands of entries like I have to with WMS. One example would be GameData:/Assets/Sons/SFX_Wargame/Bullet/SFX_Tir_GMG_Single.wav

https://i.imgur.com/pKzzHNn.png
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Wed 10 Jan 2018 15:56

I don't know how to delete posts, so I am just going to redact this.
Last edited by Mozria on Wed 10 Jan 2018 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Wed 10 Jan 2018 15:57

The W:AB Noob wrote:
Mozria wrote:One major thing I'd like to know is how to look at files that I can see referenced in the TableString lists, especially in a way that I could use a search function versus just scrolling through thousands of entries like I have to with WMS. One example would be GameData:/Assets/Sons/SFX_Wargame/Bullet/SFX_Tir_GMG_Single.wav

https://i.imgur.com/pKzzHNn.png

You've got to be joking.

I've spent at least a hundred hours in the modding suite so far, and I never knew to look there for things. I probably opened the tab a grand total of one or two times, probably by accident. I feel very stupid.

Anyway, I found out that there is no "continuous fire" version of the GMG SFX. The two ones available are for single shots only. I've used quick-and-dirty methods to get about the right burst behavior, but the sound effects don't match at all (just like in the base game).

I find this to be super annoying, and I'd like to believe that there is a way to fix it. Could I possibly get the GMG_Single sound effect to loop faster (like, play it once every 0.25 seconds versus the every 1 second or so that it plays now)? Perhaps there is another way that I could do this, as well?

I would assume that creating or editing sound effects is out of the question, especially if I wish to distribute my mod to others.

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Wed 10 Jan 2018 18:07

Also, can I add new strings into that list with no issues? Say, for example, if I had a new infantry unit I wanted to add I could put in their Descriptor_Unit, Unit, Company_Unit and Company strings and be ready to go?

I'm also curious about units' DescriptorId, _ShortDatabaseName and ClassNameForDebug values.

cashgrany
Private

Postby cashgrany » Mon 29 Jan 2018 13:16

Hello everybody ;
In wargame red dragon.
how do you change the bullet that the infantry pulls?

Mozria
Corporal

Postby Mozria » Mon 29 Jan 2018 17:50

cashgrany wrote:Hello everybody ;
In wargame red dragon.

Bullet that infantry pulls?
Uh, I really don't understand what you mean.

Are you talking about the magazines that they load into their rifles during the reloading animations as infantry go through their process of firing on enemies or positions?

Are you talking about the projectile effects that are created in relation to the infantry firing their weapons?

I think you need to be quite a bit more specific in order to get the right help on this question.

Vobule
Corporal

Postby Vobule » Mon 29 Jan 2018 17:59

cashgrany wrote:Hello everybody ;
In wargame red dragon.

Hi, your question is very opaque and you should be more accurate in what you ask for. I will try to help you regardeless:

If you want to modify the number of hitrolls done by a unit, you have to change the "NbTirParSalves" in the TAmmunition of a weapon.

If you want to modify the firing effect, this is a bit more trickier and thus require you confirm what you really want before going into the details.

cashgrany
Private

Postby cashgrany » Tue 30 Jan 2018 03:07

sorry guys; I will try to express myself better; I mean the projectile that is fired from the weapon. for example I changed a small sniper by a bigger one with a longer range, and well my unit fires missiles or rockets. I would like to change that so that they shoot smaller caliber bullets.

Vobule
Corporal

Postby Vobule » Tue 30 Jan 2018 19:58

cashgrany wrote:sorry guys; I will try to express myself better; I mean the projectile that is fired from the weapon. for example I changed a small sniper by a bigger one with a longer range, and well my unit fires missiles or rockets. I would like to change that so that they shoot smaller caliber bullets.

Thanks, that's perfectly clear now.

Ok so you want to change the effect. This is a bit tricky but nothing hard to do. I should also warn you that results may be inconsistent... (SAVE AND COPY YOUR NDF FILE IN CASE YOU NEED TO RETURN TO THE PREVIOUS BUILD)

First, some important infos: Infantry is made out of two models: the Sergeant, weilding the 2nd and 3rd weapon, and the soldier, wielding the primary. The soldier model is cloned to represent the HP of a unit.

You modified a secondary of third weapon, so we are going to look into the sergeant model in order to find and modify the effect.

To do this, you have to select the desired unit's modules and go inside:
GroupCombat > TGroupeCombatModuleDescriptor > GfxWeaponModels > GfxSecondaryWeaponModel > TDepictionTemplate
Now you should have this kind of window opened:
Spoiler : :

If yes, you have to select the "Actions" list, it contains the effects (TCompositeHappening) of a unit !

Now you want to replace one or two of them, right ? Well, this is where it gets tricky.
You have to go inside the same path for the unit that USES the effect you want, copy the string of numbers and paste it inside the unit you need to modify.
This is indeed tedious, but you can't get past it. I hope your mouse is solid because you are in for a lot of clicking.

Ok, wait, but which one to copy and change ? There is 4 of them !
Yes, you have to know which effect your weapon use, here:
Spoiler : :

That weapon will use the first effect, which is also the first effect in your list (you can check that by opening the TCompositeHappening).

Now you know where are the effects and how they are stored and used by the game. Let me recap what you need to do:
- Find and copy the effect(s) you want
- Find which effect(s) uses your weapon(s)
- Paste the value(s) in the right places (first, second, third, fourth)
- Save
- ???
- PROFIT !

Do not hesite to ask again if you need more help.

Return to “Modding”