Noob Friendly Modding tools?

cplfernandez
Sergeant First-Class

Noob Friendly Modding tools?

Postby cplfernandez » Fri 2 May 2014 11:33

I was curious if anyone was working on a noob friendly modding tool?

Though I want to clarify that I know their is a large amount of work in these tools and I don't mean to be insulting towards enohka's work. I have looked at the modding tools source code and there is a ton of work into it. Without the compression and decompression software, modding would still be a pipe dream. However many of the tools included are simply overcomplicated and difficult to use when a new modder wishes to simply modify unit statistics.
I was considering modifying in an additional tab to the modding tools that would be branched between nations and then unit class. Inside of each Class would be the unit by name and then all of its stats located on a single page. I believe this is possible by referencing the units characteristics for mothernation, category(granted this one would be an unreliable method of organization), and _shortdatabasename. Doing this would concentrate stats and allow for much faster locating and modifying of unit stats.

The unit page could then include all the stats of the unit from all the referenced values like gun controls and munitions, allowing for less time spent clicking through modules lists. At the least I would like to see a tool to a level similar to Corsix's modding tools for Company of Heroes(I spent about 400 or so hours modding that game and loved it) which included names of the item on almost every reference point.

Unfortunately I cannot easily do this my self because I haven't programmed in quite a while and I am unfamiliar with xaml code. After 6 hours of tinkering with the code i got little more done than an additional tab and a couple hundred errors in code. For me to even attempt this would require tons of reading and lots of time, so I figured before I even consider further plans I could see what the community was up too. Anyone cooking up some new tools to increase new modders productivity?

Darkmil
Brigadier

Re: Noob Friendly Modding tools?

Postby Darkmil » Fri 2 May 2014 14:56

I came out with this.

How to make user friendly mod tool ?

When you arrive in the “user friendly” mod tool and you decide to want to mod a unit a special section where there would be a search tool to search a unit according to its Localization Token (the file would need to open two files at least). When you select the unit you should be able to :

Core features that must be implemented if the following features are to be added :
- Duplicating an instance Already implemented.
- Reading an unit’s / weapon's name with it’s loacalization Token

The features sorely needed
    1) Change the Health point
      a) Any units but infantery
      b) Infantry
    2) Change the Availability and price
    3) Change Armor
    4) Change weapon stats
      a) HE
      b) AP
      c) Range
      d) KE / HEAT / Indirect Fire etc
      e) Accuracy
      f) Ammo count and fire rate
      g) Change a weapon

1) Change the Health points
      a) For any units :
      We should be able to immediatly modify the HP in a box and then hit a modify button. When we hit the “modify” the mod tool should duplicate the Instance in class 104 which rules the HP and only modify the copycat Instance, and link it to the unit’s Damage module, with the new value so the changes don’t affect all the units which shared the same number of HP

b) For infantery
      Exactly the same as above but the change should as well change the number of men in squad in the Class 146. (I don’t know if the Instance should be copy pasted or if it’s its direct modification is fine)

Optionnal settings :
      - Change the displayed HP (there could be a alert that appears when you modify the amount of HP asking if you wish to change this as well)

2) Change availibility and price
    There should be 2 fields and a List to fill. One field for the price, one for the maximum amount of packs, and the List of 5 value for the availability in the packs (if each value in the list was explicit it would be even better).

3) Change Armor
    No more boring work with the map. We should be able to change each aromor value (Front, side, rear, top) with a drop down menu where you choose the value you want (if the mod tool could detect the type unit it is modding it would be great, we could avoid some stupid situation, like infantery having more than 0 armor)

4) Change weapon stats
    There should be the 3 weapon slots displayed, with the weapon that is inthe slot and the stats of the weapon, next to the weapon slot information there should be a button named “duplicate” so we could choose to not affect all the units using the weapon we’ll modify

a) HE
      Just make a field to choose the HE value. If the the weapon is using both AP and HE value (as a tank gun) the mod tool should be able to modify the right instance.

b) AP
      Just make a drop down menu to choose the AP value. The AP changes should be done accordingly to the weapon status (KE or HEAT) since then don’t use the same map value. If the the weapon is using both AP and HE value (as a tank gun) the mod tool should be able to modify the right instance.

c) Range
      There should be 3 fields (There is now a vs Boat range range ? If yes 4 fields and boxes) and 3 boxes to tick. One for each range the box is to choose if the weapon is able to shoot against Plane / Helo / Infantery and the fields is too input the range (in ingame value, namely if I want the TOW-2 to fire at 2800 m I’ll have to input 2800 not some silly value as we do know). If the the weapon is using both AP and HE value (as a tank gun) the mod tool should modify both the instances (may be prevent the AP instance to fire on both types of Aircraft).

d) KE / HEAT / Indirect Fire / Cluster / Smoke / AoE etc
      Just make some boxes to tick for each choice or some drop down menu for things like direct or indirect fire or KE / HEAT.

e) Accuracy
      There should be 2 field one for the Accuracy and one for the Stabilizer. The modification of one of this value should duplicate the instance in Class 113 and modify the newly created.

f) Ammo count fire rate
      There should be the fields to change the number of salvos, the number of shots during a salvo, the number of displayed shots in a salvo, the time between 2 salvos, the cooldown between two shots.
      For a plane it should change the number of missiles as well (I don’t really how to do it I think MikeBoy may be able to help for this coding aspect)

g) Change a weapon
      We should be able to make a research according to the Token, when we select a weapon the weapon Instance is duplicated and associated with the unit
      For a plane it should change the missile’s model as well (again I won’t be of much help for this aspect)

To be continued

I don't know if it needs a lot of work from Enohka's mod tool but it could be a great improvment especially for new modders and for time saving to everybody. (as an option so harcdcore modder can still use the modding tool as before).
I will glad to help as long as I can.
Last edited by Darkmil on Thu 8 May 2014 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

cplfernandez
Sergeant First-Class

Postby cplfernandez » Fri 2 May 2014 19:22

I agree on all of these, they are some great suggestions and I wished for something similar. Also thanks for the explanations of things such as health and displayed health along with all the other information. I'm fairly sure that all of that is possible as long as the tool works as I suspect(still need to do work just to confirm this). So I would wish for a fourth tab in the modding tools and it would look like this:

Classes| String/Trans | Top Objects | Unit Editor
Nations ^
BluFor ^
|
USA ^
|
Logistics v
Infantry v
Support v
Tanks v
Vehicles v
Helicopters ^
|
Apache
Cobra
Ah-6
SeaHawk
HeavyHog
All the rest...
Planes v
Naval v
OpFor v

When one of the units say a helicopter is clicked it opens all the the data you were talking about. Also it would all be spaced appropriately.

I believe this could be done rather easily simple by reference as I said in OP.

As for your suggestions:
1) Could be done as you like however this would require more work but very much doable if the system works as I believe.
2) Very easy once you have the basic unit branch and editing code created.
3) Not sure, this could be easy but it also might be very difficult.
4) I don't think this would be difficult just tedious because of all the information and my want to have it all easily explained.

I wish I could talk directly to Enohka, I'll have to check later to see if he has an account on here.

I say this because I'm fairly sure that the tool is opening a compressed file that has a number of databases. What Enohka's modding tool does is modifies entries into the data sets. However if instead these are arrays, it might be much more difficult to make the tools we are considering. The main concern I have is what our ability to draw information from certain files is. Such as drawing the name from the file and replacing instance numbers with that name.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Fri 2 May 2014 19:44

cplfernandez wrote:I wish I could talk directly to Enohka, I'll have to check later to see if he has an account on here.

Well I can if you wish.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Sat 3 May 2014 00:58

cplfernandez wrote:I say this because I'm fairly sure that the tool is opening a compressed file that has a number of databases. What Enohka's modding tool does is modifies entries into the data sets. However if instead these are arrays, it might be much more difficult to make the tools we are considering.

Do you mean how the tool handles data internally or what's in the files themselves?

cplfernandez
Sergeant First-Class

Postby cplfernandez » Sat 3 May 2014 05:47

Hob_Gadling wrote:
cplfernandez wrote:I say this because I'm fairly sure that the tool is opening a compressed file that has a number of databases. What Enohka's modding tool does is modifies entries into the data sets. However if instead these are arrays, it might be much more difficult to make the tools we are considering.

Do you mean how the tool handles data internally or what's in the files themselves?

I was referring to the way the program is writing out arrays that is comprised of the compressed data and whether these arrays were then converted to database again or not. However for now me and my friend who is more experienced with programming are going through XAML and C# tutorials and a text book to see if we can understand all of the code in the original program before we start modifying it.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 3 May 2014 16:28

cplfernandez wrote:
Hob_Gadling wrote:

I was referring to the way the program is writing out arrays that is comprised of the compressed data and whether these arrays were then converted to database again or not. However for now me and my friend who is more experienced with programming are going through XAML and C# tutorials and a text book to see if we can understand all of the code in the original program before we start modifying it.

Oh my, you are going to create a program basing off and using a combination of Wargame files - the hardest game to mod?
I wish you the best of luck, and don't give up!
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Return to “Modding”