Dispatches from the frontlines of zone editing

Gronank
Colonel

Dispatches from the frontlines of zone editing

Postby Gronank » Tue 17 Jun 2014 01:10

This is a thing we've been working on lately.
Editor
In-game result
It is an add on feature to enokha's modding tool and when it is ready, it will allow the user to change the location and shapes of zones, spawns and edit starting zones and original placements for FOBs and CVs. Currently, the changes to zones are only cosmetic, the game will not mechanically recognise them. The switching of spawns and starting zones are functional, though.

That sounds awesome! What can I do to help?
Well, there is something. In order for the editor to be useful, it needs to have background images of the maps; in order for it to be pretty, those images needs to be at a reasonable resolution. There exist such images, but they're not entirely easy to get. This is where we can use some help.

The steps:

1. download the extractor from here
2. place the content of the zip into a convenient folder
3. go to this spreadsheet and type in your nym in the author column for the map you intend to do
4. open the modding tool and open a map file in Steam\steamapps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Maps\wargame\PC
5. select a convenient folder for export, possibly the same folder as in 2
6. export the file output\lowdef.tmst_chunk_pc
7. drag the exported file onto tgvExtractor.exe from the downloaded zip

A folder named lowdef.tmst_chunk_pc_export appears next to the exe. This contains over 100 images of dds type. These are three tiers of ground textures used in the game and can be open with certain image editing tools, I recomend Paint.NET.

8. The work consists of finding finding the highest tier of images (i.e, the most zoomed out) and piecing them together into a png. These images are 1 in 21, so there will be a lot of looking. No pattern has been found as of yet. You know you've done it right if there is no white stripes in the image. The format of these pieced together images of a _XxY_mapname is X*512 times Y*512.

9. upload the image to a image hosting site of your choice and link it in the spread sheet.

Thank you for your participation.
Last edited by Gronank on Wed 18 Jun 2014 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Dispatches from the frontlines of zone editing

Postby enohka » Tue 17 Jun 2014 01:28

The thing is, piecing the map images together is quite some work, and we're working with all the spare time we have on such new amazing features! So help us making this thing possible and contribute! :)

If there are any more questions or problems, let us know!

Scanny
Sergeant Major

Postby Scanny » Tue 17 Jun 2014 06:31

Will try doing one, if it successful will put it on the excel thing and give a link then try some more.
No promises though
"Balance Uber Alles"

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 17 Jun 2014 13:53

I have no idea what to say, - this changes everything!
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Tue 17 Jun 2014 14:38

Awesome! Keep up the good work guys!
I am allready looking Forward to make my first amphibious assault map 8-)

I will see if I find the time to help you with the pictures.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

FleF[FFR]
Second-Lieutenant

Postby FleF[FFR] » Tue 17 Jun 2014 15:45

Gronank wrote:This is a thing we've been working on lately.
Editor
In-game result
It is an add on feature to enokha's modding tool and when it is ready, it will allow the user to change the location and shapes of zones, spawns and edit starting zones and original placements for FOBs and CVs. Currently, the changes to zones are only cosmetic, the game will not mechanically recognise them. The switching of spawns and starting zones are functional, though.

That sounds awesome! What can I do to help?
Well, there is something. In order for the editor to be useful, it needs to have background images of the maps; in order for it to be pretty, those images needs to be at a reasonable resolution. There exist such images, but they're not entirely easy to get. This is where we can use some help.

The steps:

1. download the extractor from here
2. place the content of the zip into a convenient folder
3. go to this spreadsheet and type in your nym in the author column for the map you intend to do
4. open the modding tool and open a map file in Steam\steamapps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Maps\wargame\PC
5. select a convenient folder for export, possibly the same folder as in 2
6. export the file output\lowdef.tmst_chunk_pc
7. drag the exported file onto tgvExtractor.exe from the downloaded zip

A folder named lowdef.tmst_chunk_pc_export appears next to the exe. This contains over 100 images of dds type. These are three tiers of ground textures used in the game and can be open with certain image editing tools, I recomend Paint.NET.

8. The work consists of finding finding the highest tier of images (i.e, the most zoomed out) and piecing them together into a png. These images are 1 in 21, so there will be a lot of looking. No pattern has been found as of yet. You know you've done it right if there is no white stripes in the image. The format of these pieced together images of a _XxY_mapname is X*512 times Y*512.

9. upload the image to a image hosting site of your choice and link it in the spread sheet.

Thank you for your participation.

You really need this the puzzling way? Can it be provided another way?

As an example for the marine maps, you'll get the water brown with the puzzle.
If I can provide you rectified map do you think you can do something with?

as an example:
I can do it without the zones on it and with a better homography.
Rejoignez les FFR!
Une communauté de jeux videos sympa et conviviale

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Tue 17 Jun 2014 16:31

I fear that that would be impractical. You see, everything in the game operates on a fixed coordinate system, including the textures and the zones. This means that there is a simple scalar relationship between a pixel on the texture and the corresponding point for the zones.

Using other images besides the textures means the extra work of finding the exact zoom level, position of the image and together with the resolution, work out the correct mapping from pixel to in-game coordinate system.

But if anyone is willing of painting the underwater bits of the texture maps in a nice water colour, we'll gladly accept your help.

FleF[FFR]
Second-Lieutenant

Postby FleF[FFR] » Tue 17 Jun 2014 18:04

ok noted.
Rejoignez les FFR!
Une communauté de jeux videos sympa et conviviale

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Tue 17 Jun 2014 22:24

Gronank wrote:The format of these pieced together images of a _XxY_mapname is X*512 times Y*512.

You sure about this? I did _2x3_Esashi_v11, and the format I got was 1536x1536.

Here's what I ended up with (I have an Imgur Pro account, so it didn't maul my image): http://i.imgur.com/qcxBDgi.png

It seems like the entire right third of my image shouldn't be there, but it is and it fits. It also matches the terrain.png that's in the .dat

I'll add myself to the spreadsheet when I'm sure I didn't screw it up

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Wed 18 Jun 2014 01:02

RangerPL wrote:
Gronank wrote:The format of these pieced together images of a _XxY_mapname is X*512 times Y*512.

You sure about this?

Not at all, it just seemed like a useful convention for naming maps.

Nice work!