This mod's central idea is :
What if Wargame's visual authenticity was reflected in the gameplay as well?
To this end, the base game has been extensively modified to the point where the genre itself has changed from the classic RTS formula of "gather resources -> build units -> march to death -> repeat" to the much more rare and authentic RTT (Real-Time Tactics).
In other words, besides the modifications, big and small, brought to the units themselves, the gamplay itself has fundamentally changed.
In contrast to Regular Wargame, the Mod places players in the shoes of a Battlegroup Commander. That means, right from the start, players deploy an entire Battlegroup, around 30 units of all types. The flipside is that, much like a real-life Major, the units that they start with are the units that they will fight the battle with, no reinforcements. This means that the focus is on Battlefield Tactics rather than the Economy or Logistics concerns of Regular Wargame (both of which are technically out of scale for the on-the-ground, minute-to-minute warfare the game depicts).
Additionally, the Mod's supported Game Mode, Conquest, had been modified to ignore the flow of the battle. This means that whoever controls the battlefield at the end wins, regardless of whether they achieved success early or were on the back foot for most of the battle. It also bears mentioning that Infantry Squads have taken over the role of securing zones away from Regular Wargame's CVs. Boots on the ground.
Current version : v0.18
Location of zipped Mod files : http://www.mediafire.com/download/kx3v6 ... 80v018.zip
Location of Mod Manual ( Opens with Open Office ) : http://www.mediafire.com/view/y7k37125b ... alv018.odt
Installation Steps :
- Disable "Starter Decks" in the Filter of the Deck view screen ( The Mod makes extensive modifications to the Deck system and the game will crash is Starter Decks are not hidden )
- Export existing Decks ( Again because of the extensive modifications made, existing Decks will be deleted )
- Disable automatic game updates in Steam ( go to your Steam Library -> Right Click Wargame -> Properties -> Go to Updates Tab -> Set to "Do not update" ) ( This is because the mod is based on v366 of the game. Steam would normally attempt to keep Wargame updated, overwriting the mod )
- Copy the mod itself. The REALISM 1980 zip contains a Data folder and Wargame exe, those must be copied in the Wargame folder ( typically steam/steamapps/common/Wargame Red Dragon/ ). Overwrite all when prompted.
- Steam Library -> Right Click Wargame -> Properties -> Local Files Tab -> Verify Intergrity of Game Cache
Mod Etiquette :
Please make sure that it is clear to all players which mod they are playing, both by naming your Lobby appropriately and also by communicating this to all players inside the Lobby. Because the Mod is a "downgrade" to an older version, there should be no danger of overalp with players running the un-modded version.
Mod-supported Lobby Settings :
Conquest with 30 minutes.
2v2 and upwards (due to the complementary nature of the Battlegroups)
TO DO :
- Supply Module for APCs and IFVs to resupply Infantry Squads (In Progress)
- Improved Morale system (effects of morale on units)
- Improved Damage system (effects of damage on units)
- Improved Criticals system (effects of criticals on units)
- Improved Training system (effects of training on units)
- Decreased range of Helicopter Rocket Pods to 2km
- Allowed vehicles (for the moment) to cross forests at half speed
- Number of units per player proved to be a serious concern. Battlegroup sizes scaled back to Company-level, thus decreasing the quantity of units available by a factor of 3, approximately, to preserve realistic troop ratio. Recommended matches 2v2 and upwards.
- Artillery salvos for Howitzers and Mortars now fire triple the shells
- Improved the accuracy of ATGMs
- HEAT Weapon Profiles effectiveness increased
- Reduced supported Conquest game length to 30 minutes