REALISM 1980 Mod (v0.18 - OUT NOW!)

RaduM
Warrant Officer

REALISM 1980 Mod (v0.18 - OUT NOW!)

Postby RaduM » Mon 14 Jul 2014 13:14

Welcome to the REALISM 1980 Mod!

This mod's central idea is :

What if Wargame's visual authenticity was reflected in the gameplay as well?

To this end, the base game has been extensively modified to the point where the genre itself has changed from the classic RTS formula of "gather resources -> build units -> march to death -> repeat" to the much more rare and authentic RTT (Real-Time Tactics).

In other words, besides the modifications, big and small, brought to the units themselves, the gamplay itself has fundamentally changed.

In contrast to Regular Wargame, the Mod places players in the shoes of a Battlegroup Commander. That means, right from the start, players deploy an entire Battlegroup, around 30 units of all types. The flipside is that, much like a real-life Major, the units that they start with are the units that they will fight the battle with, no reinforcements. This means that the focus is on Battlefield Tactics rather than the Economy or Logistics concerns of Regular Wargame (both of which are technically out of scale for the on-the-ground, minute-to-minute warfare the game depicts).

Additionally, the Mod's supported Game Mode, Conquest, had been modified to ignore the flow of the battle. This means that whoever controls the battlefield at the end wins, regardless of whether they achieved success early or were on the back foot for most of the battle. It also bears mentioning that Infantry Squads have taken over the role of securing zones away from Regular Wargame's CVs. Boots on the ground.

Current version : v0.18
Location of zipped Mod files : http://www.mediafire.com/download/kx3v6 ... 80v018.zip
Location of Mod Manual ( Opens with Open Office ) : http://www.mediafire.com/view/y7k37125b ... alv018.odt

Installation Steps :

- Disable "Starter Decks" in the Filter of the Deck view screen ( The Mod makes extensive modifications to the Deck system and the game will crash is Starter Decks are not hidden )

- Export existing Decks ( Again because of the extensive modifications made, existing Decks will be deleted )

- Disable automatic game updates in Steam ( go to your Steam Library -> Right Click Wargame -> Properties -> Go to Updates Tab -> Set to "Do not update" ) ( This is because the mod is based on v366 of the game. Steam would normally attempt to keep Wargame updated, overwriting the mod )

- Copy the mod itself. The REALISM 1980 zip contains a Data folder and Wargame exe, those must be copied in the Wargame folder ( typically steam/steamapps/common/Wargame Red Dragon/ ). Overwrite all when prompted.

Un-installation Steps:
- Steam Library -> Right Click Wargame -> Properties -> Local Files Tab -> Verify Intergrity of Game Cache

Mod Etiquette :
Please make sure that it is clear to all players which mod they are playing, both by naming your Lobby appropriately and also by communicating this to all players inside the Lobby. Because the Mod is a "downgrade" to an older version, there should be no danger of overalp with players running the un-modded version.

Mod-supported Lobby Settings :
Conquest with 30 minutes.
2v2 and upwards (due to the complementary nature of the Battlegroups)

TO DO :

- Supply Module for APCs and IFVs to resupply Infantry Squads (In Progress)
- Improved Morale system (effects of morale on units)
- Improved Damage system (effects of damage on units)
- Improved Criticals system (effects of criticals on units)
- Improved Training system (effects of training on units)

Changelog :

v0.15

Spoiler : :
- Addressed issues regarding ammunition loadouts for several units
- Decreased range of Helicopter Rocket Pods to 2km
- Allowed vehicles (for the moment) to cross forests at half speed
- Number of units per player proved to be a serious concern. Battlegroup sizes scaled back to Company-level, thus decreasing the quantity of units available by a factor of 3, approximately, to preserve realistic troop ratio. Recommended matches 2v2 and upwards.

v0.16

- Addressed an issue regarding optics versus aircraft.
- Artillery salvos for Howitzers and Mortars now fire triple the shells

v.017

- Reduced the ranges of direct-fire weapons to 1.5km-2km to comply with the overall map scale
- Improved the accuracy of ATGMs
- HEAT Weapon Profiles effectiveness increased

v.018
- Increased effectiveness of AA vs armored aircraft, especially A-10
- Reduced supported Conquest game length to 30 minutes
Last edited by RaduM on Mon 18 Aug 2014 08:31, edited 28 times in total.
REALISM 1980 Mod - OUT NOW - Want some Authentic Gameplay to go with that Authentic Armory ?

AEGIS Destroyer
Corporal

Re: REALISM 1980 Mod (Genre Shift!) (In progress)

Postby AEGIS Destroyer » Mon 14 Jul 2014 13:16

wow, thats pretty cool, considering the wall of text you wrote :D :D

anyway gl on that, it wont be easy
Name for upcoming DLC
praslovan wrote:"Too late."

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Mon 14 Jul 2014 13:38

Deploy timers will be set ridiculously high so you will never be able to spawn in new units after match start)

I'm curious, couldn't you use the new mapping tools to make it so there simply are no ground spawn points?
Last edited by Mikeboy on Mon 14 Jul 2014 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

RaduM
Warrant Officer

Postby RaduM » Mon 14 Jul 2014 13:44

I've been watching the developments on that front with great interest.

It's just that my table is full right now with making weapons and spotting (oh,boy,spotting!...) realistic and I really want to get this thing out of the door by the week's end as it incorporates the lessons learned from as way back as 1 year ago. High time I released something into the wild.

That said, modifying capturable zones on the map is something that I am very much looking forward to!
REALISM 1980 Mod - OUT NOW - Want some Authentic Gameplay to go with that Authentic Armory ?

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Mon 14 Jul 2014 13:59

If you're going for GRAU (which I think you partially are)

9K31 Strela-1
9K31M Strela-1M
9P133 Malytka-P
9P148 Konkurs
ZSU-23-4M3
9K57 BM-27
9К111М Fagot-M

RaduM
Warrant Officer

Postby RaduM » Mon 14 Jul 2014 14:02

Thanks. I already spotted a typo in the screenshots anyway (F-16C, remnant meant to be F-16A) :) .I'll refresh them when they're corrected.

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Mon 14 Jul 2014 14:43

It looks awsome. I have a few questions though:

- Is deck creation entirely gone?
- Which will be the "ment to be played" game mode?
- Are other specilized decks (para, marine,...) be in the mod aswell? If yes, how do you plan to make them stand against armoured/mech decks?
- How did you make CBUs deal AP and HE damage at the same time?
- How are you gonna handle gameplay problems that might come up? My first thought here would be the lack of supply: What am I supposed to do when my Strela has fired all it´s missles? Having no supply and no other use for it, I have two options: Put it somewhere and forget about it or use it as a suicide scout. Because I am not stupid I will do the latter. This would be cheesy and inauthentic, so what are you going to do about it?
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Mon 14 Jul 2014 14:58

This is really a great mod you're preparing. I'm quite sure that all the changes won't necessarily please me in game but this work is so huge and so complete, and furthermore so radical, I only can congratulate you and applause.

RaduM
Warrant Officer

Postby RaduM » Mon 14 Jul 2014 15:45

jonas165 wrote:It looks awsome. I have a few questions though:

- Is deck creation entirely gone?
- Which will be the "ment to be played" game mode?
- Are other specilized decks (para, marine,...) be in the mod aswell? If yes, how do you plan to make them stand against armoured/mech decks?
- How did you make CBUs deal AP and HE damage at the same time?
- How are you gonna handle gameplay problems that might come up? My first thought here would be the lack of supply: What am I supposed to do when my Strela has fired all it´s missles? Having no supply and no other use for it, I have two options: Put it somewhere and forget about it or use it as a suicide scout. Because I am not stupid I will do the latter. This would be cheesy and inauthentic, so what are you going to do about it?

1) Deck Creation

I'm afraid it is.

The thing is, what could vary is the amount of support (AT,AA,Artillery,Air) you could have from higher echelons. You can choose to have more of X or more of Y. The thing is, the threshold is crossed when it's 2v2 or more. If everybody goes for Air, clearly superior choice, then the whole balance is thrown off.

For now the Battlegroups are fixed, if anything, to prevent people from enjoying unrealistic amounts of support, which btw, is what bogs down vanilla Wargame battle flow. The sheer amount of AT for example, is not even funny anymore.

I hope to revive it somehow, but what would be needed would be a "lobby resource pool" shared by all people on the same team... The way it is right now is too easily exploitable.

3) Ah, I would so love to have these included.

Initially, the Marines won't be in, but later versions might see them on mixed maps to take advantage of their amphibious equipment.

Airborne of any kind on the other hand... The problem isn't that airborne troops are out of scale, but that airborne insertions are. It would be great if airborne troops would get to "start" deep inside enemy territory.

That's the problem really. Wargame only really models "good old fashioned" Mechanized Warfare. As such, Marines could be in but they would be "Mechanized with better training and lighter equipment" and Para/Airborne would be "Motorized with better training and lighter equipment".

4) The Cluster bombs will use a "special" HEAT profile that is unused (I think it's HEAT AP 2) that will also do damage to "Infantry Armor Zero" (Infantry Armor Zero is different than vehicle Armor Zero). It's trivial, really, Eugen could implement this anytime they wanted.

5) +2) This is related to the above "game mode" question and I will answer both here.

Very pertinent questions, cheesy tactics is a primary concern of mine.

The only way out that I can see is a blend of Destruction and Conquest where controlling the battlefield at the end (I will remove the ticker) is the main objective, but losing troops will be detrimental to success. So Battlefield Control + High Casualties = Draw (Or Phyrric Victory if you want to be optimistic :) )

I don't think it can be done without some "house rules" regarding scoring. This is something I must still think about.

@Darkmil

Thanks :) I've been hatching this for a while. I could have settled with the Battlegroup Mod, but I just can't help myself pushing the realism all the way, consequences be damned.

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Mon 14 Jul 2014 15:52

Thanks for the answers! I am looking froward to it.

On deck building: You could limit cards or slots in the sections you don´t want people to spam or make the availability lower. I don´t know how far this would work with your plans, but it would be sad IMO if deck building, one of the core elements of the game, falls away.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Return to “Modding”