[ALPHA] The SOCOM Mod

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

[ALPHA] The SOCOM Mod

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 19 Jul 2014 00:39

ALPHA OP
Date: 7/18/14

Under possible penalties of shame and threats from the North Korean government, I hereby declare this mod good enough for ALPHA RELEASE!

Alpha does not mean that this is anywhere near done or balanced, only the essentials are done and reviews from other people will allow me to change point cost, availability, weapons, and stats. The final product is of course going to be much finer than this. Now, let's get started...

Spoiler : Backstory :
*Please try to imagine this being voiced by that Wargame Campaign subtitle reader :D *

August, 2014. North Korea holds it's annual celebrations of nationalism, and "Supreme Leader" Kim Jong-Un takes this time to take a tour around the joyous countryside. The American government sees this as a chance to kill the dictator and peacefully reunify Korea, but the CIA is just fooling around by sending a pair of barely trained people off the street to assassinate Kim posed as interviewers. The only hope now is for the combined coordination of the entire USSOCOM branch to succeed on the two occasions where large military forces will not be nearby: Operation Quickscope and Operation Firework.

Spoiler : Real Backstory :
I originally thought that a mod with only BLUFOR and REDFOR special forces from each country would be very cool. But before I even started working, I realized that the US had more types of special forces than I have fingers. After a re-think, I was looking at a US Special Forces-vs-Non-special forces kind of mod, and of course, the first thing that comes is an Operation Neptune Spear kind of game. The only problem was that the player reenacting the "Osama Bin Laden force" or Insurgency had as much of a chance at winning as Denmark vs Russia in "Siege" mode. My last three choices of OPFOR were Russia, China, and North Korea, but the latter was chosen because Americans love to fantasize about North Koreans (and Nazi's... :roll: ).

Spoiler : Teams :
There are 2 countries that are supported - US (USSOCOM) and North Korea (DRPK).

US has 9 types of special forces infantry: (in order by military branch) Delta Force, Green Berets, Rangers, Force Recon, Marine Scout Snipers, MARSOC, SEAL, Combat Air Controllers, and Pararescue. Each one is slightly different from each other, and are rather expensive with not much availability. These and some transports are the only units that you can put in your deck ignoring the one F-15E Strike Eagle that has 1 Paveway III bomb which takes forever to reload. Transports have no weapons, and there is only 1 inf CV per deck.

The OPFOR side will have more choices. There are a few kinds of infantry, and some armored, arty, and heli units, which are very expensive. There is also a few cheap recon and MANPAD infantry, and 1 CV inantry, which you must protect at all costs. This side lacks transports, and will be on the defensive for much of the time. The CV is Kim Jong-Un and his bodyguard, which you must protect at all costs or the game is over.

Spoiler : Gameplay :
To be clear, this mod is not an add-on pack of any sorts, it is a whole different game with a totally different game style. The only maps available are intentionally 10 vs 10 maps, since the are wide in expanse and offers a much more complex gameplay than if it were a game with only 2 reinforcement zones. The goal of the US team is to take out the "Supreme Leader", or the enemy CV infantry that will end the game. The best way to do this is to scout out the map with recon infantry as fast as possible, and find a spot where you suspect the enemy CV is. This might be easier if the enemy unloads their cv inf in a zone, simulating an intelligence report or civilian tip. With no support except from the Strike Eagle, the US must devise a way to best sneak and attack the target. Cheap infantry should not be too much of a problem, but it will notify the enemy commander about the position of your forces. Also, you do have helicopter transports, but they are expensive and you do not want to lose them to enemy MANPADS so don't send them out too far. On the other side, REDFOR must keep it's CV alive, mainly by gaining enough points to deploy heavy units that will be very hard for the US to defeat. There are 2 strategies the REDFOR can deploy - either camp in a zone with the hope that you will have enough time to collect points for heavy units, or move your cv around from place to place and try to gain points gradually. You can also hide your cv until the time is up. Since the only recon that the enemy has is recon inf, the enemy will not see you for some of the time, but watch out for the Paveway. Since the map is a 10 vs 10 map, each side can spawn the majority of their forces in either of the 4-5 bases, which makes for a very diverse game.

Spoiler : What kind of feedback would be great for me :
A lot of the gameplay aspects are now set in stone, I'm really looking for feedback on weapon, model, and availability, but anything will be appreciated.

Spoiler : So what's so special/cool about this mod? :
For one, this is my first large complete mod. I know, that's a lame accomplishment for a guy who's been modding Wargame for a year. :roll: To my knowledge, this is also the first mod to have changed game data, in-game videos, and in-game and menu text all in one release. This also has a different install system then Vasto's Mod Installer which I thought of because this mod is so many files.

Spoiler : Signatures that you can take :

From kiheerSEDMAN: Image

Spoiler : Changelog :
Oh heck, no. I made waayyyy to many small changes and tweaks, just making me think about it gets my head dizzy...

Spoiler : Credits :
All modding/renaming was done by The W:AB Noob. But special thanks to:
Enohka for the WargameModdingSuite
Naizarak for teaching me about hiding/unlocking maps
Darkmil who wrote the modding guide I had to reference many times and helping me with videos
Wikipedia, my #1 source :D
Awesome Cup, GabrielColt, shomu1, and all you others who posted and responded when I thought the modding community was dead
and kiheerSEDMAN who might be doing artwork for the mod ;) .

Last edited by The W:AB Noob on Sun 20 Jul 2014 16:23, edited 13 times in total.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Lieutenant General

Re: [ALPHA] The SOCOM Mod

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 19 Jul 2014 00:40

Reserved. :lol:

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 19 Jul 2014 00:40

Reserved again :twisted:

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Sat 19 Jul 2014 00:44

[quote="The W:AB Noob"]
"Imminent" :twisted:[/spoiler]Damn you! :x

Now it will never be released!

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sat 19 Jul 2014 01:25

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:Now it will never be released!

Is 2024 never ?

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 19 Jul 2014 03:44

Darkmil wrote:
kiheerSEDMAN wrote:Now it will never be released!

Is 2024 never ?

Wait, I was supposed to release something? :lol:

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 19 Jul 2014 14:23

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Sat 19 Jul 2014 14:45

This looks really unique, however would love to see USSR's huge array of different kinds of spetsnaz countering or something

just because

Spoiler : :
fanboi ;)
Of Salt

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 19 Jul 2014 14:58

another505 wrote:This looks really unique, however would love to see USSR's huge array of different kinds of spetsnaz countering or something

just because

Spoiler : :
fanboi ;)

I'm too lazy to write a well-written response, so I will just quote myself from the OP -
The W:AB Noob wrote:I originally thought that a mod with only BLUFOR and REDFOR special forces from each country would be very cool. But before I even started working, I realized that the US had more types of special forces than I have fingers.

But I'm sure that you will get your chance, this mod or another... ;)

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Sat 19 Jul 2014 15:01

you could have lowered the amount of US SF for your mod :lol:

anyways looks interesting, however , i dont have any friends to play with in RD hopefully the dlc will draw them back
Of Salt

Return to “Modding”