Revised Map

laws215
Private First-Class

Revised Map

Postby laws215 » Sun 28 Sep 2014 07:36

For a little single player variety, I revised skirmish map "Strait to the Point" with new starting zones. It plays a little different.
EDIT: Updated to include Destruction & Conquest mode

I don't know how to change the position of the zones, I know we can't change their shape (yet). Wish we had new maps tho.

Download: http://www.laws215.com Unzip DataMap.dat an put in Data -> WARGAME -> PC -> 430000210

Also, one thing I noticed to make the AI a little more aggressive, in everything.ndfbin, go to TPoolElement and lower the Price for anything over 175 by 40% (i.e. 200 = 160). I mapped some of the elements, anyone have a complete list?

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Re: Revised Map

Postby Hob_Gadling » Mon 29 Sep 2014 23:52

Shame no one noticed this. It'll work in multi if everyone has the mod installed, by the way.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 30 Sep 2014 00:12

laws215 wrote:For a little single player variety, I revised skirmish map "Strait to the Point" with new starting zones. It plays a little different.
EDIT: Updated to include Destruction & Conquest mode

I don't know how to change the position of the zones, I know we can't change their shape (yet). Wish we had new maps tho.

Download: http://www.laws215.com Unzip DataMap.dat an put in Data -> WARGAME -> PC -> 430000210

Also, one thing I noticed to make the AI a little more aggressive, in everything.ndfbin, go to TPoolElement and lower the Price for anything over 175 by 40% (i.e. 200 = 160). I mapped some of the elements, anyone have a complete list?

Welcome to the Forums! It looks like you know what you are doing!

This sounds cool, and I might take a look at it. Can you post a screenshot of the layout in the meanwhile?

Also about the AI thing, Darkmil told me that it is possible to mod the AIStratModule, but it is only a couple nubers and we can only guess what they mean. Maybe a bit of research will find more things like the TPoolElement. Thanks for the news!

EDIT: Whoa, you made a site for the download? You must know your computer stuff real well ;)
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Regnar
Lieutenant

Postby Regnar » Tue 30 Sep 2014 01:12

Yeah I'd say it works

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 30 Sep 2014 01:34

Regnar wrote:Image

Yeah I'd say it works

Ooh la la...

laws215
Private First-Class

Postby laws215 » Tue 30 Sep 2014 01:44

The W:AB Noob wrote:
laws215 wrote:Can you post a screenshot of the layout in the meanwhile?

Also about the AI thing, Darkmil told me that it is possible to mod the AIStratModule, but it is only a couple nubers and we can only guess what they mean. Maybe a bit of research will find more things like the TPoolElement. Thanks for the news!

I put a screen on the download page. Also, I didn't change any zone points. In Destruction mode, seemed like a high point value for the old starting zones gave them some purpose.

AIStratModule is the module for each unit. It points to TypeForPoolSelection which is the TPoolElement. I think there are 71 different ones. For example, 13 is supply vehicle, 10 is helo carrying anti-ship missiles, etc. (I mapped some of them). I think the AI calls for units based on these types.

Since each type has an associated price (in TPoolElement), lowering the price for some of the more expensive ones makes their calls more frequent. Such as launching ships. (btw - lowering all prices by 50% just made a mess.)

Just educated guesses on my part tho, curious as to what others know.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 4 Oct 2014 17:54

I finally go to play your map now that it is the weekend! How did you make new spawn points??

laws215
Private First-Class

Postby laws215 » Sat 4 Oct 2014 20:26

The W:AB Noob wrote:I finally go to play your map now that it is the weekend! How did you make new spawn points??

enohka posted the howto here: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=45922#p588679

Once you locate the correct map and launch the Scenario editor (puzzle icon), start with TGameDesignAddOn_StartingPoint and click on one of the instances. Click the magnifying glass (search) to easily find out what references that instance. (Or you can manually look thru TGameDesignItem.)

Double click that instance and the first entry is Position. When you click Value, the numbers will turn into X, Y and Z coordinates. All the TGameDesignItems have vector coordinates. If you click a few of of them and plot them, you'll get a sense of the map increment scale and locations.

Just use math to relocate the starting position to the zone you want. In game, it will turn blue if it worked, or remain white if you're off. You could also use the "Battleship" method of trial and error, the game doesn't crash if you don't have a starting zone.

Once you get the starting locations, note their positions so you use them for the other map elements.

To set the Aerial Corridor, Maritime Corridor and Reinforcement Location (air, land and sea), go to those respective entries and use the same procedure.

Select an instance, search for the use of that instance and double-click the search result. For air, land & sea, the point of the arrow is the Position Value. Use your starting location to determine the position (add or subtract 1000 from X or Y to see what I mean).

Next, the Rotation sets the angle of the arrow. To get your bearings, make the number negative, if positive, or vice versa (i.e. -0.698744) and you'll see the rotation. I don't know the min/max for this value, it seems to accept anything.

The 3rd item to set is the Scale. Once again, click the Value and it will turn into 3 numbers. The first number is the length of the arrow. I'm not sure what the other 2 are. Width? Often they are just 1.

If you make the Reinforcement Location arrow go over mountains, the units tend to do that instead of using a road. If you can't get to an off map area with the beginning of the arrow, use a town or mountain as a fictional starting point. We can't create graphic tunnel entrances yet.

Lastly, you'll need to set the positions of the Starting Command Unit and Starting FOB.

Using your starting points for reference, you can choose a good location. EDIT: There are 16 entries, the first 8 are for one side, next 8 are for the other. In skirmish, the game uses 1st and 9th locations for each side. When more than 2 decks are used, I think the game chooses additional locations randomly (unconfirmed).

It won't crash if you just clone some of the locations, but you may see 2 FOBs directly on top of each other. (One location will have 2X supplies.)

I don't know to what extent the game uses the Z axis (height). It seems to auto adjust units and FOBs once game launches. It doesn't crash if the Z is off. Any information of that would be appreciated, as the FOBs have a level ground requirement (I think).

If you make you Starting Command Unit location in water, a ship (if in your deck) will be the starting Command unit. Might be an interesting variable for a terrain & water map.

You can also edit the Command Points in the same Scenario editor.

Be sure and back up existing DataMap.dat. Remember there are a few updated DataMap.dat files along the update directory path.
Last edited by laws215 on Sun 5 Oct 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 5 Oct 2014 05:41

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions! Looking at this, it seems like a ton of guess and check, right?

EDIT: So how you switch the reinforcement bases? Switch the P0 names?

laws215
Private First-Class

Postby laws215 » Sun 5 Oct 2014 06:54

The W:AB Noob wrote:So how you switch the reinforcement bases? Switch the P0 names?

Do you mean the Reinforcement Location (the land arrow) or FOB? Both are mentioned above. Not sure about switching P0 names, what would that do? You need to relocate the item by using the X,Y,Z coordinates in Position in TGameDesignItem.

And you are right, a lot of checking. But plotting on paper cuts down the guessing. For example, if point A = 2 and point B = 6, a point halfway between A and B = 4.

Also, all corridor end points, units, FOB etc. have to land inside a zone. Otherwise they won't show up.

Return to “Modding”