Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

CK530
Sergeant
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue 8 Jul 2014 04:59
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby CK530 » Thu 2 Apr 2015 00:53

I'm checking with v.610 - which one do you have?[/quote]


610
Image

Remember the Vandoos!

User avatar
Sonicbunny
Sergeant Major
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2013 15:38
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby Sonicbunny » Mon 6 Apr 2015 13:17

Hi Rogers, just wanted to say this mod is awesome! It really brings the two grand campaigns (Narodnaya and 2KW) a new lease of life, so thank you very much. :)

Just a few suggestions -

In 2KW, the Belleau Wood now only comes with Corsairs. In real life, the Tarawa-class ships didn't have catapults and arrestor gear, so couldn't operate the Corsair or any other fixed wing aircraft except the Harrier. Also, it was very rare for Harrier squadrons to be embarked on aircraft carriers like the Enterprise. What I'd suggest is moving the Corsairs to the Enterprise to add more variety to the carrier's air wing, and moving all the US Harriers to the Belleau Wood. This would give at least a little useful air power to the US side of the map in case the Enterprise gets sunk.

In Narodnaya: I really like how you've added more than one type of aircraft in each squadron, but again, the Minsk had no catapults or arrestor gear so it couldn't operate the SU-25T. This is just a minor niggle, though, as I think it actually improves the balance in this campaign. On the Kuznetsov, though, could we possibly have a few more SU-27s? Two more wouldn't make the naval battles noticeably easier as they only carry one AShM, but it would be a lot more realistic and allow them to be used as meaningful air defence against those pesky Hornets.

In fact, how about replacing one of the land based MiG-25PD squadrons with the SU-27S? It's in the time frame and it would make air combat a lot more realistic/balanced against all those F-15s. I also feel that given how many Kyu-Marus the Japanese have, there needs to be either a lot more of the existing tanks in Soviet units, or at least some high end T-80UM, T-64BV or T-72BU for some realistic tank battles.

The Minsk amphibious units are pretty useless after the initial landing, as nearly all of their useful units only come in Yuqings and can't be used in other sectors. Could we have the same units mirrored outside the naval tab?

Finally, the US/Scandi twists in Pearl of the Orient and Bear vs Dragon are very interesting, but if you have time, could there be a version of this mod where the original British and Chinese sides get the rogers303 treatment? :D As a Brit, I'd love to be able to defend Hong Kong against the hordes with a little more than four Chally Mk1s...

Thanks again - these are only small ideas and I really appreciate the work you've done so far.
Image
"EUG time" defies quantum physics. We are evolving in a completely different set of time where durations are only qualified as "soon", "imminent", "about to happen", ...

rogers303
First Sergeant
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri 23 May 2014 04:27
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby rogers303 » Wed 8 Apr 2015 19:37

Sonicbunny wrote:Hi Rogers, just wanted to say this mod is awesome! It really brings the two grand campaigns (Narodnaya and 2KW) a new lease of life, so thank you very much. :)

Just a few suggestions -

In 2KW, the Belleau Wood now only comes with Corsairs. In real life, the Tarawa-class ships didn't have catapults and arrestor gear, so couldn't operate the Corsair or any other fixed wing aircraft except the Harrier. Also, it was very rare for Harrier squadrons to be embarked on aircraft carriers like the Enterprise. What I'd suggest is moving the Corsairs to the Enterprise to add more variety to the carrier's air wing, and moving all the US Harriers to the Belleau Wood. This would give at least a little useful air power to the US side of the map in case the Enterprise gets sunk.

In Narodnaya: I really like how you've added more than one type of aircraft in each squadron, but again, the Minsk had no catapults or arrestor gear so it couldn't operate the SU-25T. This is just a minor niggle, though, as I think it actually improves the balance in this campaign. On the Kuznetsov, though, could we possibly have a few more SU-27s? Two more wouldn't make the naval battles noticeably easier as they only carry one AShM, but it would be a lot more realistic and allow them to be used as meaningful air defence against those pesky Hornets.

In fact, how about replacing one of the land based MiG-25PD squadrons with the SU-27S? It's in the time frame and it would make air combat a lot more realistic/balanced against all those F-15s. I also feel that given how many Kyu-Marus the Japanese have, there needs to be either a lot more of the existing tanks in Soviet units, or at least some high end T-80UM, T-64BV or T-72BU for some realistic tank battles.

The Minsk amphibious units are pretty useless after the initial landing, as nearly all of their useful units only come in Yuqings and can't be used in other sectors. Could we have the same units mirrored outside the naval tab?

Finally, the US/Scandi twists in Pearl of the Orient and Bear vs Dragon are very interesting, but if you have time, could there be a version of this mod where the original British and Chinese sides get the rogers303 treatment? :D As a Brit, I'd love to be able to defend Hong Kong against the hordes with a little more than four Chally Mk1s...

Thanks again - these are only small ideas and I really appreciate the work you've done so far.


Hi Sonicbunny
Thank you for the input and let’s go through your suggestions. But there are few points I’d like to make first.

- I’m not changing ordnance of aircrafts (in fact may be later, if I’d add this to BGManager)
- Unrealistic ratio between AI and Human player unfortunately relates to AI’s inability to use terrain and avoid traps and ambushes, easily put by human player (napalm, choke points, cv hunt situations)
- Normal flow of campaigns in RD usually includes accumulating more and more of battlegroups by the end, so we have almost full potential of opponent forces in the beginning and overwhelming number of battlegroups for human by the end – in fact this is very disappointing part of campaigns design in RD and I’m not sure I have many means to fix it
Now let’s go through your suggestions:

1 Moving VSTOL to Tarawa and fixed wings to Enterprise – make sense – will do. (I wanted Corsair solely because napalm is very important part of asymmetric warfare, which I’m promoting in those mods). And Enterprise must not be sunk – it have very potent ASM squadrons so it mustn’t be a challenge.
2 Minsk and Su-25T. Well – problem here is that 12 Yak-38, which are carried by Minsk are to some extent counterpart to Harriers and according to wiki could be carrying quite a punch of different ordnance: various types of rockets (up to 240 mm), 2 anti-ship or air-to-surface Kh-23. R-60 r R-60M, two FAB-500 or four FAB-250 general purpose bombs under pylons, two incendiary ZB-500, or two nuclear RN-28 bombs (well we won’t go this way). So Su-25T was attempt to compensate. So if I’m to remove Frogfoot, than I’d have to change ordnance of Forgers.
3 Adding Su-27 ASM’s – my idea was to force player to combine Minsk and Kuznetsov in order to defeat Enterprise, pesky Hornets can be deterred by Mig-31s (VVS Fighter Sqdr.). Actually Su-27’s are very potent Pegasus/Baek-Ku hunters ( if they are not in the swarm) – they are easy prey.
4 Mig-25PD vs F-15. Those are quite comparable fighters. In fact pair of veteran Mig-25PD can bring down almost everything due to rapid fire rate and only medium range IR AA missiles in game (yes – their accuracy left much to be desired but damage is most satisfactory). Plus in reality Mig-25 were produced in great numbers and PD modification is supposed to be real deal interceptor. For example R-40 missiles range (30-60km) supposed to be at least equal to AIM-7 range-wise (32-50) and speed is supposed to be better (Mach 4.5 vs Mach 2.5-4). So really if I’d add ordnance manipulation to BGM, I’m going to change a lot of Soviet missiles abilities. Sure – accuracy will be left the same, but range and speed of missiles will be increased. I think it will bring proper balance to red/blue air opposition
5 Minsk amphibious force. Well, its goal – westernmost Japanese airbase and timeframe is supposed to be about by the end of campaign, but I do agree – they are pretty useless otherwise… I’ll think about it.
6 Bear vs Dragon – yeah – I’ve enjoyed playing for scandi guys too (I’m quarter Finnish, so have some affinity for this:). Pearl of Orient. I’m going for research of this campaign in order of giving it my treatment (with Brits and Chinese). It won’t be pretty – that I promise. Currently I’m considering ratio 1:5 between AI and Human forces to be fair and this means a lot of elite Chinese forces…

Thanks for input

GeneralHawk
Corporal
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun 16 Jun 2013 01:35
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby GeneralHawk » Mon 20 Apr 2015 18:26

Really enjoying this mod. One request? Is it possible to keep Pearl as a Brit led operation. Yes understand their BGs have issues in a lot of ppl opinions but that is part of the fun and challenge.

Great work and either way thank you!

Guggy
General
Posts: 8621
Joined: Thu 17 Nov 2011 02:53
Location: peaceful skeleton realm
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby Guggy » Wed 22 Apr 2015 09:59

rogers303 wrote:6 Pearl of Orient. I’m going for research of this campaign in order of giving it my treatment (with Brits and Chinese). It won’t be pretty – that I promise. Currently I’m considering ratio 1:5 between AI and Human forces to be fair and this means a lot of elite Chinese forces…

Thanks for input


Let me know if you need any info on force compositions etc. I looked into this alot in the past as well, and found alot of very interesting resources!

stratmania
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 2068
Joined: Thu 1 Nov 2012 17:27
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby stratmania » Wed 22 Apr 2015 17:33

Rogers, are there ways to "reassign" battegroups from different divisions so that I can spawn them in different locations? For example, taking 1 BG from the VDV in Climb Narodnaya to put into the Helicopter Brigade of Kutnezov.

rogers303
First Sergeant
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri 23 May 2014 04:27
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby rogers303 » Thu 23 Apr 2015 00:33

stratmania wrote:Rogers, are there ways to "reassign" battegroups from different divisions so that I can spawn them in different locations? For example, taking 1 BG from the VDV in Climb Narodnaya to put into the Helicopter Brigade of Kutnezov.


I figured more or less how to do it through WMS, but adding to BGM this feature is yet out of scope - seems a bit complicated, - DynamicCampaignProducerModule do the trick, but it's not the only reference to fix and it seems divisions have some kind of "spawnability" properties.

Lenno
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu 25 Feb 2016 20:01
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby Lenno » Mon 18 Apr 2016 15:33

Can I acctually play multiplayer with it I mean its hard do deinstall

headzup13
Private
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon 24 Oct 2016 16:42
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby headzup13 » Mon 24 Oct 2016 17:20

I take it this is out of date? I'm not able to download the files. Am I doing something wrong?

User avatar
The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4538
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013 22:29
Location: United States, Central Time Zone
Contact:

Re: Revised Campaigns 0.7 - 03/01/15 (update)

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 25 Oct 2016 00:52

Woah, the original post written exactly two years ago to the day...

But unfortunately, this mod is very outdated.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests