Battle Group Manager 0.8.2 - 03/21/15

rogers303
First Sergeant

Battle Group Manager 0.8.2 - 03/21/15

Postby rogers303 » Sun 30 Nov 2014 00:21

Hi All.
release 0.8.2 (transportation and unit stats)
- editing price of battlegroups (independent)
- intelligent transport handling (through unit/modules/transportable)
- display ECM, Suppression, Accuracy, Stabilization, Armor, RPM, speed for all types of units
- double-click on unit in deck now select unit, select limitation, bring Units & Limitations window to front
- double-click limitation change selected unit's limitation in deck grid and close Units & Limitations window
- bigfix: inability to remove transport from limitation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuaf7h7ykn4rfy2/wms_and_bgm_beta082.rar?dl=0

BGM release 0.8.1 (comforting one)
+ division country editable (right-click on division)
- bugfix: changing objectives enables 'save' button
- bugfix: changing objectives changes summary of objectives for affected bg
- bugfix: changing division name changes it for all battle groups with the same division
- bugfix: subsitution of pawn correctly updated for all bg's involved
- bugfix: changing sort order of bg grid causing change of selected bg
- if unused pawn available, then substitution of pawn will use unused pawn (so it won't affect other pawns)

p.s. as it is coming closer from beta version to release, I'm focusing on cleaning up program from bugs - not adding new functionality. I want clean, simple, functional, clear and capable tool by version 1.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbn7nkloa0se9nw/wms_and_bgm_beta081.rar?dl=0

BGM Version 0.8
what's new
- pawn model browse-able within campaign (within all campaigns through settings - it's experimental)
- pawn model can be changed (right-click on pawn cell) with different pawn from global pawn list (unfortunately this list only contains limited amount of units - not all)
- double click on unit in deck opens Unit & Limitation window with that unit selected
- deck grid displays unit role
- added unit role. this is particularly important for upgrade campaigns from old mods. in case developer changed id and unit name we're searching for similar by country, role, moving type and transport function
- upgrade campaign(s) functionality. it should still be considered experimental - many things are left behind, but mostly it works ;)
- player/computer detecting algorithm updated (Busan Pocket had some issues, but now's moddable)

download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmhaolxrg4nsljx/wms_and_bgm_beta08.rar?dl=0

readme
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf3xz0vfvnmxzrp/bgm_readme.txt?dl=0

release 0.7.5
what's new
- please test it - many things have been re-worked and I frankly just don't have time to test everything
- configuration dialog (.dic file pattern are just patterns - you don't have to fill in full path - if string is unique - it will find it)
- more unit data in Unit & Limitation window
- unit roles displayed (convenient for search)
- change campaign division combo box bug fix
- export campaign button still closed, sorry about that - don't have enough time to test - next weekend
- summary re-worked

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjpdtn73hpldahd/wms_and_bgm_beta075.rar?dl=0

release 0.7.4
what's new
- computing 'difference' with original campaign
- limitation and units window show battle groups for all campaigns
- new experimental column 'on map' representing whenever bg shows up at turn 0 on map
- filtering battle groups with 'side' checkbox
- unified select .dat file dialog for both dictionary and ndf data files
- unit information added: movement type, max damage, prototype'ity
- moral and cohesion reworked into dialog with bunch of other parameters
- bugfixes
- new bugs and donate button ;)

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ryplvna4jm0u8a/wms_and_bgm_beta074.rar?dl=0

release 0.7.3
What's new
- bugfix for different localizations - now should be more compatible with different versions - (support 'dev' and 'us' both)
- health and action points editing is through choosing -not changing original instance, so it's independent among battle groups
- Pawn ID - look for pawn id of battle group you want to make and assign the same number - it's pawn on strategic map
- Division Icon and Battle Group Icon - I hope self-explanatory, experiment with it - some icons are not implemented so will appear screwed
- changing 'Type' also changes behavior and description of battle group
- FOB's added to list of units (initial check was refusing them because of being 0-year old as too old to be true)
- some fixes here and there as usual

What's coming
- comparing modded battle groups with original to make change list easier
- applying changes to different .dat files to upgrade mod's to new game patches

https://www.dropbox.com/s/teb8wnf7axl4v0e/wms_and_bgm_beta073.rar?dl=0

release 0.7.2
What's new
- new limitation bug-fix, another one ;)
- DataGridViewComboBoxCell error fix on campaign change
- it does work with 430.578 (for testing i'm using 4300000587\ndf and 4300000564\4300000574\zz_win and 2nd korean war campaign
- battle group names editable
- battle group type (MimeticType) viewable
- battle groups filter introduced (somewhat convenient for big-scale modding)
- list native transports only check box in unit\limitation window - to pick right one quickly

Download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jx2ni3vlk83hedi/wms_and_bgm_beta072.rar?dl=0

release 0.7.1
What's new
- bug fixes related to limitations change (sadly had to fix some code in WMS, so it's no more plain WMS-compatible on source-level)
- transport and super transport can now be edited withing limitation grid in Units & Limitations Window
- some internal work on turrets and weapons (will show up in 0.8)

what's next
- hierarchy of battle groups
- you decide

Download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3wkzvzv8tpgsw8/bgm_beta071.rar?dl=0

release 0.6
What's new
- bg descriptions can be changed
- objectives re-worked
- unit's view now have basic turrets/weapons information
- adding/erasing new limitations (there's some issue with this...let me know if experience it)

BGManager
What it does?
- allows you to view/change decks of different campaigns in Red Dragon
- allows to browse through all units
- allows to change battle groups objectives and departure zones
- allows to change initial/max moral, initial/max action points, cohesion, health of battle groups

possible issue with opening ndf files
you need to open 2 ndf files in order for program to run:
ndf_win.dat - this file contains all units and battlegroups informations
zz_win.dat - this contains text for unit names and descriptions of battle groups
error check while opening those files is very basic - i'm checking if table 'everything' exists in ndf_win (it describes decks and units) and i check if path dev\localisation\unit exists within hash file zz_win.dat. until you'd open correct files programs won't run. if for some reason you're having problem with start up of program try to erase settings file, which normally located in : c:\users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\edataFileManager\bgsettings.xml

side note
right now changing objectives is a bit annoying - it will show message with list of groups unavailable to become targets. this is temporary (trans table references are really annoying part of ndf design). another moment - if you're changing objectives, don't switch 'show all bg' check box off. another detail - i haven't tested this with new 587(?) release - my game seems to be broken by now (even with re-installation) ... might be memory or video card issues - development will stop until this resolved (i've left trouble ticket in support forum)

readme
Spoiler : :
Battle Group Manager (BGM)
==========================

I. What is BGM
BGM is a modding tool for Wargame-III Red Dragon (WG). It allows you to change content of battle groups and their parameters. It DOES not allow neither it intended to be used to change parameters of units. Current release (0.6) was tested with WG release 585.

II. Files
BGM makes changes in two files of the game (which you might want to backup).
NDF_Win.dat - contains all units, decks, battle groups information and campaign logic (as well as bunch of other stuff).
ZZ_Win.dat - contains texts. All battle groups descriptions, names, unit names, unit's weapons, ammunition and turrets names (and some more). During first start of BGM it will ask you to open those files. Default locations for those files in version 585 is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\430000585\
There is a possible problem locating correct game files. Thing is - there are more than one file with same name in sub-folders, so choosing right one is important. From release to release information is traveling (travelling - if you're outside US :) from one file to another in case data is updated and old files are reused in case data in them is still relevant. Trial and error and common sense are your best friends.

III. Game files structure (skip this if you're familiar with WMS)
I won't be going into full depths (hc svnt dragones) of NDF files (data storage format used by WG), but somethings you should know before using this tool. Every .DAT-file is a collection of .NDF-files with path (for example "pc\ndf\patchable\scenario\campdyn_crown_jewel\ndfscripting.ndfbin" file is stored in NDF_Win.dat and contains data, related with "Pearl of the Orient" campaign). Each NDF files can be perceived as a database, which contains tables (CLASSES in ndf-language). Data in those classes often refer to data in other classes, even outside of NDF-file and sometimes outside of particular .DAT-file. It is important to understand, that because of those references, lots of information is shared-reused by similar objects. For example price of battle group is stored in the file ndfscripting.ndfbin in class TDynamicCampaignProducerModuleDescriptor in field Price, but the same instance of this class can be referenced by different battle groups, so whenever you will change this value directly you'd change price for all those battle groups. BGM trying to work around some of those issues or at least warn you if this happens.

IV. Data hierarchy
Here's relationship between units, decks and battle groups. To understand how BGM works you'd have to understand those relationships. I'm not writing about unit and it's details (turrets, ammunition and such) - may be later if BGM will start doing unit management (not next release at least).

IV.1 Units - represents all units in game as well as transports and naval transports
- stored in pc\ndf\patchable\gfx\everything.ndfbin
- storage class - TUniteAuSolDescriptor
- referenced by Limitations

IV.2 Limitations - represents unit (with transport) and their availability amount (aka veterancy).
Veterancy is a list of 5 numbers, defining numbers of this unit-transport combination for each training level
(rookie/trained/normal/hardened/elite)
- storage class - TLimitationPerUnit
- referenced by Decks

IV.3 Decks - represents collection of Limitations
- storage class - TWargameNationDeck
- referenced by Battlegroups

IV.4 Battlegroup - particular deck, combined with name, descriptions, pawn icon, health, moral, cohesion and action points.
- stored in
pc\ndf\patchable\scenario\<campaign_specific>\ndfscripting.ndfbin
pc\ndf\patchable\scenario\<campaign_specific>\ndfscriptingforalternative1.ndfbin
- storage class - TModularUnitDescriptor
- referenced by other Battlegroups

V. Program Interface
General concepts - clicking column titles sort things (if click-able), yellow field means you can change it (usually)
BGM have two windows - main window with deck/battlegroups and units/limitations window
V.1 Main window Deck List (left-top). You can't change anything here, left column is corresponding Id in TWargameNationDeck, name is deck's export name and price is total cost of all units and transports in this deck. Selecting (clicking) deck will focus deck content in Deck Content Grid
V.2.Main window Deck Content Grid (right-top). Self-explanatory. You can modify content of the deck by removing units (press 'Delete'), adding new units (type Limitations ID in last empty line and hit 'Enter') or changing Limitation ID in first yellow field (type different number and hit 'Enter'). Limitation ID can be looked up in 'Units and Limitations' window.
V.3.Main window Battlegroup Grid (bottom). All yellow field are editable. You cannot add new battle group and you cannot delete one. Once you click on battle group, corresponding deck will be selected in Deck List and its content will be displayed in Deck Content Grid. Clicking on Objectives will open annoying message box with list of bg's you currently can't set as objectives and then show you dialog with bg's and zones to set as objectives. All there is self-explanatory, - just keep image of your campaign handy.
V.4.Units & Limitations window. Top - filters to make your units-neat-picking life easier. Unit grid - clicking particular unit will bring on to next grid list of Limitations bound to this unit. Those are Limitations ID, which you should be using in Main Window Deck Content Grid. Selecting particular Limitation will show battle groups which use them. In Limitations Grid you can add new (type in veterancy numbers, divided by '/') or delete one or change veterancy numbers for existing.
V.5.Units & Limitations window. Right panels show some information about turrets of selected unit. This is work in progress - a lot of information, which we really don't care right now about

VI. Why I can't pick unit in Deck Content Grid?
There are quite few answers to this from simple "you are going to pick from thousands long drop down list?" to "you need to pick veterancy too", but better I will just quote Murakami "If you can't understand it without explanation, - you can't understand it with explanation". That's just how WG data mechanics works.

VII.Future
0.7 version definitely will see the light sometime this year - there's just some things I wanted to fix and try (actually VI could be done and just in spite of bad data structure logic i'm going to do it...;). After that future development will be put on hold until I have goodideas list;). No visual map representation for zones so far - don't want to go into graphics. Right now it's all about functional tool for making revised campaigns. The one, which will be harder, diverse, strategically demanding and will keep challenge to the very end.

VIII.Thanks.
WMS creators - this tool wouldn't make it without you.
WG - this goes w/o saying.

/Rogers/12/16/14

bye bye
Last edited by rogers303 on Sat 21 Mar 2015 22:34, edited 21 times in total.

Guggy
General

Re: Battle Group Manager ver 0.5 (11/29/14)

Postby Guggy » Sun 30 Nov 2014 08:16

Excellent, going to give this a solid test-run tomorrow afternoon :) Thanks for posting it!

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 30 Nov 2014 18:01

Pawn icons might be really hard - I didn't figure that out yet.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Kilo3
Corporal

Postby Kilo3 » Tue 2 Dec 2014 00:17

Absolutely Awesome!

This is exactly what is needed for those of us who play the SP campaigns! I've spent tons of time double clicking ad-nauseum just to find a BG after an update...this is wonderful.

I've even modded the ALB BG's, which is much more difficult, as you have to adjust your unit changes to a BG for the AI module, otherwise they won't be used, but RD is simpler, and this tool makes it even better.

I've been putting off a major mod of my own due to lack of energy to sift through all of the junk (mainly detailing objectives, start locations, etc.-lots of planning involved), but this work and your future updates will make things so much more feasible.
I'm dreaming of various campaigns using CMN and 2KW as the template, but disregarding nations and physical location...

As an additional wish for someone (other than me, I'm not a programmer) to work on if interested, plotting the BG's and objectives on a graphic map with arrows designating movement plans, and plotting a day by day plan-would be a wonderful tool for planning out a campaign. As is it is, I'll probably just copy a map of the campaign overview and write in my changes...but another tool would be ideal.

For those who like working on campaigns, I've found that adjusting the movement, refit, R&R, and Battle point usage can make a big difference in the game. Making a unit consume 1 point per action gives a tremendous advantage (you can now potentially destroy a BG after it routes-if you have enough units with a movement point to follow up and overpower the # enemy units in the zone), and allows for much more tactical ingenuity-but makes it considerably easier to win the stock campaigns...but it is an interesting option for those who want to try something new.

Each of my ground units (and enemy as well) have 3 points, and it costs 1 to move (and a battle does not eliminate all remaining points), and helicopter BG's can now potentially attack more than once per turn. Of course, you can probably tell that this throws off the stock campaigns without some compensation-and I haven't worked that out to my satisfaction yet. Creating stronger enemy BG's that require you to assemble a powerful strike force is a good balance, but may alter the timeline...anyway, you can see how that works, but is something to think about if you get stuck with the Busan Pocket dilemma at it's start (back and forth enemy attacks, with no alternative).

So far, this tool looks amazing...I can't tell you how much time I've spent creating spreadsheets of all the ALB and RD units based on reference number, and updating with DLC's-simply so I had a reference for them when modding, without having to click through the AuSol unit list to find something again.

So, thank you immensely (and enohka, WALB:Noob, et. al.) for awesome tools and information to extend the awesomeness of Wargame.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 2 Dec 2014 02:28

Kilo3 wrote:Absolutely Awesome!

This is exactly what is needed for those of us who play the SP campaigns! I've spent tons of time double clicking ad-nauseum just to find a BG after an update...this is wonderful.

Tell me about it! :lol:
Kilo3 wrote:So, thank you immensely (and enohka, WALB:Noob, et. al.) for awesome tools and information to extend the awesomeness of Wargame.

Me? I am honored. :o
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

AJE
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby AJE » Tue 2 Dec 2014 07:49

Thanks for the excellent addition to the mod tools for the game. It's not obvious, but the fact that you can open the same file with both enhoka's modding suite and this manager at the some time is a great help (at least until you try to save changes in the files). I can just look up the unit/battlegroup ID in the manager and change whatever can't be changed in the manager with the modding suite.

If possible, would you consider also adding the ability to browse the ID's of vehicle turrets, their ammunition, and possibly vehicle armor values? It would really help the idea of editing the unit stats in the game, even if it can't be edited, since it would just need to find the location of ammo/turret/armor for a specific vehicle within the modding suite.

Again, thanks for the manager- I think this may be nothing less than the best thing to happen to the modding community since enhoka left.

rogers303
First Sergeant

Postby rogers303 » Tue 2 Dec 2014 10:33

AJE wrote:Thanks for the excellent addition to the mod tools for the game. It's not obvious, but the fact that you can open the same file with both enhoka's modding suite and this manager at the some time is a great help (at least until you try to save changes in the files). I can just look up the unit/battlegroup ID in the manager and change whatever can't be changed in the manager with the modding suite.

If possible, would you consider also adding the ability to browse the ID's of vehicle turrets, their ammunition, and possibly vehicle armor values? It would really help the idea of editing the unit stats in the game, even if it can't be edited, since it would just need to find the location of ammo/turret/armor for a specific vehicle within the modding suite.

Again, thanks for the manager- I think this may be nothing less than the best thing to happen to the modding community since enhoka left.

Ohhh I knew this day will come... actually was going to add unit stats to 'unit view winodw' as long as we have it here anyway;), ... in 0.7 for sure... but editing - don't know yet - haven't been digging in this direction - i think units editing is hornet's nest - ... so much balance have been tried out... don't know (at this point it isn't about realism anyway)

p.s. enohka ain't left - we talked and my understanding - he's just not interested in this right now, but might consider going on in new game release

AJE
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby AJE » Thu 4 Dec 2014 20:25

rogers303 wrote:
Ohhh I knew this day will come... actually was going to add unit stats to 'unit view winodw' as long as we have it here anyway;), ... in 0.7 for sure... but editing - don't know yet - haven't been digging in this direction - i think units editing is hornet's nest - ... so much balance have been tried out... don't know (at this point it isn't about realism anyway)

p.s. enohka ain't left - we talked and my understanding - he's just not interested in this right now, but might consider going on in new game release

Do you mean he might consider going on when Act of Aggression, the 3rd DLC, or if/when a 4th Wargame is released? (I'm just confused about what that means)

Anyway, the editing isn't too important since a file can be open in the modding suite and your manager at the same time. Then I can use the manager for viewing values and their locations and the modding suite for editing them. The only real deficiencies in that setup is the limited number of files that the manager can open, the limited amount of stats that can be viewed in the editor, and the inability of the manager to reflect changes made to the file since it was opened. Fix those (I don't think it's feasible to fix the third one, though), and modding would become much more accessible and convenient to the community.

rogers303
First Sergeant

Postby rogers303 » Thu 4 Dec 2014 22:40

AJE wrote:
rogers303 wrote:Do you mean he might consider going on when Act of Aggression, the 3rd DLC, or if/when a 4th Wargame is released? (I'm just confused about what that means)

yes

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Sun 7 Dec 2014 01:08

I haven't really left, as rogers said, I'm just not into Wargame at the moment plus I have plenty of work to do for which I get paid for :P.

I'm reading here by time and I usually answer at least to mails (enohka[dot]xaan[on]gmail[dot]com)

edit: and yes, I consider coming back for AoA!