Transport Mod

NocTempre
Private First-Class

Transport Mod

Postby NocTempre » Fri 16 Jan 2015 07:16

I want to make a mod focused on improving transports across the board. I just picked up the game during the winter sale, so my goals are mostly for my enjoyment as someone uninterested and uninitiated in the competitive multiplayer meta, but I am open to feedback if something would upset balance to the point of making the mod unfun to play for everyone else. Just digging into the mod suite and here's what I know I will be able to do:

Core Features
  1. Reorganize by capacity exclusively
  2. Add functional smoke launchers if missing
  3. Add helicopter/vehicle transport options
  4. Make supplies a cargo that is unloaded

And these are the things I'd really like to do, but don't know how at this time:

Features to Investigate
  • Unattached Infantry
  • Unattached Transports
  • Infantry firing ports
  • Multi-unit transports

I hope that would put a lot of the strategy back into the player's hands. If you are the commander of said fantasy division (aka the deck), why can't you use whatever transport you see fit? Or for that matter, how do you fit 15 people into a jeep? While it adds some micro, ideally logistics trucks should take over the transport of troops with cavalry being an optional upgrade. I may need some help getting off the ground, and definitely will need help implementing the list of stretch features, but otherwise just letting the community know I'm hoping to add something fun and open to suggestions.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: Transport Mod

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 6 Feb 2015 01:05

NocTempre wrote:I want to make a mod focused on improving transports across the board. I just picked up the game during the winter sale, so my goals are mostly for my enjoyment as someone uninterested and uninitiated in the competitive multiplayer meta, but I am open to feedback if something would upset balance to the point of making the mod unfun to play for everyone else. Just digging into the mod suite and here's what I know I will be able to do:I hope that would put a lot of the strategy back into the player's hands. If you are the commander of said fantasy division (aka the deck), why can't you use whatever transport you see fit? Or for that matter, how do you fit 15 people into a jeep? While it adds some micro, ideally logistics trucks should take over the transport of troops with cavalry being an optional upgrade. I may need some help getting off the ground, and definitely will need help implementing the list of stretch features, but otherwise just letting the community know I'm hoping to add something fun and open to suggestions.

This sounds really cool!
NocTempre wrote:Make supplies a cargo that is unloaded

Why did I never think of that!?

NocTempre wrote:Unattached Infantry

You can do this by deleting all categories in "Default".

NocTempre wrote:Unattached Transports
Infantry firing ports
Multi-unit transports

I don't think this is possible - beyond engine limits.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

NocTempre
Private First-Class

Postby NocTempre » Sun 8 Feb 2015 20:05

Thanks for your feedback! I'm currently waiting for DLC 3 to finalize before the heavy lifting of sorting the units, especially since there are some notable infantry changes and I don't want to stray too far from vanilla balance - if I go down that route it would only be with the help of far better strategy players and military historians as a separate, independent (but compatible!) module.

If those are truly the limits of the engine, than it is not bad at all. Unattached infantry was the big one and you confirm it is possible; unattached transports being impossible just means I will have to fall back to 1 man "commander" units. Edit: I have two follow-up questions if you get the opportunity.

1. What dictates the veteran level of the transport units?
  2. Can infantry units act as "transports"?
I assume anything would disappear if "transported" by infantry, but it opens up some possibilities for those willing to put up with the micro. Again deeply appreciate the feedback so far and welcome more in the future.

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Mon 9 Feb 2015 20:24

There is an array of availabilities for each called "MaxDeployableAmount". Each entry sets an availability for that transport at a each veterancy level. Infantry themselves also have the same availabilty lists and they are overlapped with the lowest values taking preference.

For example an infantry unit might have
0/16/12/0/0
and then a transport might come in
16/12/10/8/6
The end result in the armoury would take be you could take the infantry in that transport at 12 trained, and 10 hardened.
but a different infantry unit might come along and be
0/0/0/10/8
and that would come as 8 veterans and 6 elites in that transport.

NocTempre
Private First-Class

Postby NocTempre » Mon 9 Feb 2015 20:45

So just to make sure I understand - the transport will share the veterancy of the unit it is called in with? And taking 12 trained will or will not matter if you then go to choose 6 elite
Last edited by NocTempre on Mon 9 Feb 2015 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Mon 9 Feb 2015 20:57

Yes. If you take infantry at elite, the transports will also be at elite. This is one of the advantages of mechanised decks.

The transport could have a million availability set for that veterancy level, but if the contents of that transport only have 5 availability at that level, then you will only get 5. The same is true in reverse because it takes the lowest value.

NocTempre
Private First-Class

Postby NocTempre » Mon 9 Feb 2015 21:32

Example: You have transport with 12/10/8/6/4. You take 10 1st rank. Are there still 4 elite available?

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Mon 9 Feb 2015 21:49

NocTempre wrote:Example: You have transport with 12/10/8/6/4. You take 10 1st rank. Are there still 4 elite available?

There might be! Depends on what the availability pattern of the infantry is. If you're not getting this, try messing with it and seeing it ingame. It's quick and easy and pretty straightforward.

Really the simplest way of putting it, is it takes the two availability patterns and takes the lowest value for each veterancy rank. If one of those is 0, it wont be available at that rank.

D-M

Postby D-M » Tue 10 Feb 2015 00:21

NocTempre wrote:[*]Can infantry units act as "transports"?[/list]

I don't see it being impossible but I don't remember if the current tools allow to add a <Key, Object Reference> tuple to a list (the module list here).

NocTempre
Private First-Class

Postby NocTempre » Sun 15 Mar 2015 08:55

Quick update/question: Would you see it as beyond scope to rework naval units a bit? I want to ax anything non-river and let some amphibious units bring themselves in without landing craft. I never planned to remove units though so I am torn. Apologies for how slowly something playable is emerging.

Return to “Modding”