Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.47; ongoing APS update, Yugo upgrade

Zomba69
Master Sergeant

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows

Postby Zomba69 » Sun 5 Feb 2017 13:15

thatAC130 wrote:Hey there, I was just messing around with the Battle Group Manager, and noticed that any changes in the campaign will simply change the names on all of the units in the mod back to their original ones that they were based off of (but not their weapons and stats).

Just curious if there was a work around to this or if A&S is even intended to be used with the BGM. Not pressuring you to make any changes on this issue, just genuinely curious if you have any solutions to this. Thanks a lot for the great mod! :D

P.S. thank you for giving us the wonderful RaptorJesus! (haven't lost a single one in several skirmish matches lol)

It seems you are using vanilla ZZ file and Ash and Shadows NDF. You need to open Ash and Shadows ZZ with BGM (but first you will need to add battlegroups.dic and interface_outgame.dic to it). I changed once campaign using this mod and it was great.

Looking forward to version 2.0

thatAC130
Corporal

Postby thatAC130 » Mon 6 Feb 2017 08:44

Zomba69 wrote:It seems you are using vanilla ZZ file and Ash and Shadows NDF. You need to open Ash and Shadows ZZ with BGM (but first you will need to add battlegroups.dic and interface_outgame.dic to it). I changed once campaign using this mod and it was great.

Huh. I dont think i'm getting this...I thought I had an idea as to how to do it, but i keep getting the same deal. Is there a thread or a video/instructions that goes into further detail with this? (sorry, I'm not really good with stuff like this).

EDIT: I should probably ask which file you got the A&S ZZ.dat from ("^-^)7
Me: Wait, what? You mean to tell me that an AC-130 got shot down by a Strella-2? That's some real Bull-
Friend: NOOOOOOO

thatAC130
Corporal

Postby thatAC130 » Tue 7 Feb 2017 00:58

Ah, nevermind! I've seemed to have figured it out now! thanks a lot for your help! ( ^-^)/
Me: Wait, what? You mean to tell me that an AC-130 got shot down by a Strella-2? That's some real Bull-
Friend: NOOOOOOO

Zomba69
Master Sergeant

Postby Zomba69 » Tue 7 Feb 2017 01:09

thatAC130 wrote:
Zomba69 wrote:It seems you are using vanilla ZZ file and Ash and Shadows NDF. You need to open Ash and Shadows ZZ with BGM (but first you will need to add battlegroups.dic and interface_outgame.dic to it). I changed once campaign using this mod and it was great.

Huh. I dont think i'm getting this...I thought I had an idea as to how to do it, but i keep getting the same deal. Is there a thread or a video/instructions that goes into further detail with this? (sorry, I'm not really good with stuff like this).

EDIT: I should probably ask which file you got the A&S ZZ.dat from ("^-^)7

Once when you install A&S mod you need to use the Wargame Mod Installer's AddContent command to add the battlegroup.dic from 430000587\430000609 and the interface_outgame.dic from 510040615\510047860 (first you will extract raw data for those two using Modding Suite) to your new A&S ZZ.dat. W:AB Noob explained this process few times for vanilla, it works the same way once when you install A&S mod.

EDIT: Great, you got it already :) I really liked campaign with this mod because AI is still not very smart, but it can finally make you some serious damage :lol:

KnightShadow12
Private

Postby KnightShadow12 » Tue 7 Feb 2017 14:01

HELP!!!
I have the the Double Nation REDS (version 510057270). DOWNLOADED TORRENT NOT FROM STEAM
Everytime i try to install the mod, when i select the installation folder and then press next the auto-installer crash. It dosent change anything even if i run it as administrator. Can anybody help me how to install this mod even manual?

By the way in the installerConfig.wmi it says about the game version 510064564, i tried to install it manual, it launched normall but after 30sec the game crashed (i installed with the folders of my version).

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Tue 7 Feb 2017 18:02

Are you saying you've got a cracked version of the game? You're kinda shit out of luck in that case, I've got no idea what changes to file structure you'd have. Plus, posting on the Eugen forum isn't a wise move.

The auto installer crashing is a new one, possibly because your version doesn't have the same folders as the auto-installer is looking for.

510057270 is at least two versions out of date, the auto-installer isn't going to be loading files into the correct place for that version.

You have to remove all Dutch, Israeli Yugoslav and Finnish decks and units from your armory decks for A&S 1.x to run. You also have to copy the files into the relevant locations, but since from the sound of it you've got an unusual version, I don't know where those locations are.

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Thu 9 Feb 2017 02:23

hey Spectre, I'm new to your plans here,

I feel that there are still some units missing in the mod (like Chinese MBT-3000) and also that some units aren't as accurately represented (like Sprut-SD not being a proxy of BMP-3m).
Do you have plans to work on things like this? I can understand if you can't do so because of the constant updates.

Are you okay with other people in this thread to make their own changes to your mod? If so, can you tell me your process in making this mod?

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Thu 9 Feb 2017 05:12

I'm ok with people making their own mods to the mod, but, you won't be able to play with other A&S users in multi player.

As a general discussion on units;
There's a heck of a lot of speculation involved in the A&S units. The RAH-66 comanche, as an example, never made it beyond two prototypes and as a project was hamstrung by excessive re-design through its life time, but, potentially useful breakthroughs came out of it before the project was scrapped.

At another end of the spectrum, the T-14 Armata simply lacks reliable info. There's no data on how it's Afghanit APS works; APS requires a thread of its own, really, and all I can really estimate about Afghanit is 'It'll be an improvement over Arena or they wouldn't deploy it' and there's also no data on it's 4th Gen ERA; Malachit.

so there's a lot of guesswork and adjustment for the sake of gameplay.

For the cases you mention:

The Sprut-SD is a BMP-3 Chassis, but is nothing like a BMP-3. I used the speed and armor, but not the model. There's nothing that was really close enough in model appearance to the Sprut so I left it with the same model as the unit I replaced.

For the MBT-3000; that's an export designation. Norinco never got the MBT-2000 or the MBT-3000 into active service with the PLA, they just sold them to foreigners. The ZTZ-96 (AKA, Type 88C) and ZTZ-99 are analogous systems that were accepted into service with the PLA.
With the upcoming A&S 2.0 release, I'm giving UANSUR, a redfor nation that includes Peru, the Type-90-II, another name for the MBT-3000, with the armor of a ZTZ-85 and the gun of a ZTZ-96.

gijoe41
Corporal

Postby gijoe41 » Thu 9 Feb 2017 08:08

For the Sprut, the BMP-685 should be a good proxy. BMP-3 chassis with a long gun, very similar to the Sprut, though the chassis and the turret aren't exactly correct

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Thu 9 Feb 2017 09:22

Spectre_nz wrote:I'm ok with people making their own mods to the mod, but, you won't be able to play with other A&S users in multi player.

As a general discussion on units;
There's a heck of a lot of speculation involved in the A&S units. The RAH-66 comanche, as an example, never made it beyond two prototypes and as a project was hamstrung by excessive re-design through its life time, but, potentially useful breakthroughs came out of it before the project was scrapped.

At another end of the spectrum, the T-14 Armata simply lacks reliable info. There's no data on how it's Afghanit APS works; APS requires a thread of its own, really, and all I can really estimate about Afghanit is 'It'll be an improvement over Arena or they wouldn't deploy it' and there's also no data on it's 4th Gen ERA; Malachit.

so there's a lot of guesswork and adjustment for the sake of gameplay.

For the cases you mention:

The Sprut-SD is a BMP-3 Chassis, but is nothing like a BMP-3. I used the speed and armor, but not the model. There's nothing that was really close enough in model appearance to the Sprut so I left it with the same model as the unit I replaced.

For the MBT-3000; that's an export designation. Norinco never got the MBT-2000 or the MBT-3000 into active service with the PLA, they just sold them to foreigners. The ZTZ-96 (AKA, Type 88C) and ZTZ-99 are analogous systems that were accepted into service with the PLA.
With the upcoming A&S 2.0 release, I'm giving UANSUR, a redfor nation that includes Peru, the Type-90-II, another name for the MBT-3000, with the armor of a ZTZ-85 and the gun of a ZTZ-96.

I know that no one will be able to play it, I was just thinking about making some changes and then showing them to you so I can hear your thoughts. (if you're okay with that)

Ah I see, I guess we all will just have to wait until more reliable information becomes available. That is assuming that we will get that information before a 4th Wargame or WW3 somehow happening. Is this also why you didn't include units that were just concepts or early prototypes like Su-47?

one final question: should Ukraine be put into this mod?

Return to “Modding”