Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.31; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support. Turkey replaces Denmark.

revolverswitch
Corporal

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.25; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support

Postby revolverswitch » Tue 3 Oct 2017 23:49

hey Spectre can you tell me the purpose of the misha shturmovyye for Soviet Union?

It's just strange that there is an infantry unit without a LAW of some kind.

On a general and not mod related side note. Do you think the game should allow players to make custom coalitions? Even like BLU+RED vs BLU+RED custom game modes? Considering the changes you've been making for coalitions in the game, I think it would be a great thing for players to experiment with.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.26.5; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support. Turkey replaces Denmark.

Postby Spectre_nz » Wed 4 Oct 2017 09:34

hey Spectre can you tell me the purpose of the misha shturmovyye for Soviet Union?

It's just strange that there is an infantry unit without a LAW of some kind.

I'm not sure if you've tried it out, but the Kord carrying infantry are astonishingly effective in an anti-infantry role. To the point that most of the infantry tabs in blufor decks we play on the discord groups are built around the concept of 'how to I fight kords with this'.
Well managed kords will win virtually any Forrest or city fight against infantry. The only things they will have trouble dealing with are SMG infantry in their own city block and elite infantry with HE launchers. Kords are HMG, which means they do the same damage to both regular inf and [HEAVY] inf, so they are also a natural counter for the plethora of heavy inf in blufor decks.

Misha Shturmovye are Kord infantry with a deliberate weakness; no LAW - so I can make them lower cost but very effective in an anti-infantry role. They won't hold a town against a full mechanized attack on their own, but they're very hard to dislodge with infantry alone.

Do you think the game should allow players to make custom coalitions? Even like BLU+RED vs BLU+RED custom game modes? Considering the changes you've been making for coalitions in the game, I think it would be a great thing for players to experiment with.

Do you know a way to do this? I don't. It appears fairly hard coded.

Also I noticed that S350E Vityaz have no rockets visually on it.

Yeah, there are quite a few units like that. I'm aware of most of them, but missile depictions aren't high on my priority list.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.26.5; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support. Turkey replaces Denmark.

Postby Spectre_nz » Thu 5 Oct 2017 15:03

v2.27 is going up.

I've been making a few changes to Marine and Armor deck types since by and large they're universally inferior to mechanized and motorized decks.
I've expanded the range of units (particularly tanks) available to the Marine decks of several nations, working from the idea that these are their expeditionary forces, rather than strictly a segregated Marine Corps. I'm amenable to more units being added to Marine after testing.
Marine decks also now have an slot and XP buff to recon units.

Armor decks get a slot buff to Logistics and Support.

500kg bomber aircraft have had a cost re-ballancing. The cost of some has gone up, others have gone down. They now sit around 105-115 depending on their bomb count and ECM. A couple of aircraft buck the trend a little with bonuses like additional bomb types or high ECM.

A few more flags got upgraded and the Gotterdamerung got re-edited to look less silly.

Transport icons for SAT commandos, Ozel Kuvvetter and Haybyung Commandos changed

The air-to-ground attack range for several aircraft cannons has been removed. Hopefully this should stop bombers deciding to gun-run rather than drop their payload. It will prevent ASF's from strafing infantry but, meh, a small price to pay.

ANZAC F-35A JSOW got its correct stealth value
ANZAC Bushranger helo rocket load halved, price increased

UK LIMARS available to Airborne deck
UK M270 MLRS given its [TOP] trait and AP power back

French Rafael C availability and price buffed

US A-10C had its AA missile load corrected back to Aim-9M's
US F-16C fighting falcon cost nerfed
US Phantom Ray price nerfed

Indian Ajeya Block 2 Price nerfed
Indian Mig 29 SE bomb load corrected

Turkish Sabra M60 tank availability and price nerfed
Turkish Hawk XXI availability reduced
Turkish Cobra Zipkin vehicle availability reduced
Turkish Korkut availability reduced
Turkish F-16 SOM cost increased but availability increased.

Canadian CF-18F Superhornet reload time increased

Sterbun
Private

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.27; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support. Turkey replaces Denmark.

Postby Sterbun » Fri 6 Oct 2017 03:02

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but USSR Motorized does not have access to any BTRs, and this really gimps the choices you have in that deck.

Sterbun
Private

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.27; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support. Turkey replaces Denmark.

Postby Sterbun » Fri 6 Oct 2017 04:00

I do not know if this is a bug, if you just haven't gotten around to it yet, but the USSR Motor Rifles do not have BTRs available to them as transports, and that just seems really out of place for them.

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Fri 6 Oct 2017 11:42

Ah okay, I will definitely try them out in that case.
Kords are HMG, which means they do the same damage to both regular inf and [HEAVY] inf, so they are also a natural counter for the plethora of heavy inf in blufor decks.

Are HMGs effective against light transports like trucks and jeeps too?

Which reminds me, I noticed that a lot of BLUfor infantry share weapons (especially high tier weapons) with each other more than in REDfor. An obvious example being how much of BLUfor infantry share the same LAW (Carl Gustav M3/M4) while the only equivalent of that particular weapon in REDfor I can think of is RPG-16D which only like two units in all of REDfor use it. Are you willing to change the way weapons are distributed among the REDfor nations to imply a competing arms race against the BLUfor nations?

I don't, I was just asking if you like that idea. We could ask the developers very nicely.

BTW, Centurian Avre has 24 frontal armor. Sounds nice, but I'm assuming that is not intentional right?

fox_the_apprentice
Sergeant Major

Postby fox_the_apprentice » Sun 8 Oct 2017 18:05

revolverswitch wrote:[...]

I don't, I was just asking if you like that idea. We could ask the developers very nicely.
[...]

The devs have never offered official mod support, and I don't foresee that changing in the near future - at least not for any game already released by them.

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Sun 8 Oct 2017 23:22

Spectre_nz wrote:I've been making a few changes to Marine and Armor deck types since by and large they're universally inferior to mechanized and motorized decks.
I've expanded the range of units (particularly tanks) available to the Marine decks of several nations, working from the idea that these are their expeditionary forces, rather than strictly a segregated Marine Corps. I'm amenable to more units being added to Marine after testing.
Marine decks also now have an slot and XP buff to recon units.

I personally think Marines should just get better access to high tier airplanes instead of motorized because motorized already have access to high tier recon units and also in high availability. Marines seem to get the low tier things of just about everything else outside of Infantry and Navy, better tanks and support would be nice but I think what's more important is the better air force units since they have high availability.

Another game question not related to the mod: Do you think that since marines and motorized infantry have their own exclusive infantry units, should Mechanized have it's own too?

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Sun 8 Oct 2017 23:24

fox_the_apprentice wrote:The devs have never offered official mod support, and I don't foresee that changing in the near future - at least not for any game already released by them.

Well, we can hope they use our feedback and apply them for a 4th wargame.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Thu 12 Oct 2017 15:58

v2.28 is going up.

Stealth bonus for cities and forests reduced.

AK-74U Rof buffed

F-22 Stealth bonus reduced slightly
DRADAM missiles range and accuracy reduced and RoF altered.

A-10, Su-25 and Mig-27 cannon HE splash range increased

Drop pattern on Canadian Paveway bomber tightened up
Drop pattern on Su-34MF tightened up

Canadian Airborne weapons tweaked to reduce their stun damage

Some broad buffs to Poland, UNASUR and Czech to help them be a bit more competitive;

Polish Grom SF infantry given RPG-16 and cost buffed to 24
Polish Komandosi cost buffed to 20
Polish Radom rifle range buffed
Polish Niebieskie price buffed
Polish Piechota Zmech price buffed to 9
Polish Grom MANPADS price buffed
PT-72, T-72 Wilk, T-72M2 Wilk, PT-91 Twardy, PT-91Z hardy and PT-16 Goryl tank prices all buffed
SW-4T transport helo price buffed
W-3T transport helo price buffed
Polish Mi-24D price buffed
Mi-2Ro recon price buffed
Polish BTR-40 transport price buffed
BWP-Kalina price buffed
Mig-29M2 price buffed
Su-22M4, Su-22M4 Seria 30 and Su-27SKM price buffed

Czech Lehka Pechota price nerfed from 15 to 18pts
Czech Pancerovnci price buffed from 20 to 18pts
Czech T-72M2 Moderna and T-72 Cz Mod4 price and availability buffed

UNASUR
Su-30MK bomb load increased from 1 to 3
M-60 Sherman price buffed from 20 to 15
Number of cards of M113Br increased from 3 to 6
VCPT added to mech deck
EE-11 Urutu transport added to mech deck
Escorpion SF infantry added to mech deck
Grumech Recon infantry added to mech deck
Ito86 added to mech deck
Telak 91 availability buffed
Telakrh 66 availability buffed
*Telak 84 has wrong armor, needs fixing*

In light of the improved performance of ANZAC since the addition of their new Jet, ANZAC availability bonuses have been reduced.

ANZAC AW-109CN given attack-move command

HE range on HE equipped Javelin launchers reduced to 2275m (not displayed in the armory)

Carl G 3 fist range reduced, accuracy reduced to 65

ANZBram tank availability increased

Gurkas cost nerfed from 18 to 20

Marine specalization added for Turkey and Berbelik coalition

Eastern mystic replaced with 'Star of the east'; Turkey, India, Israel.

F-16C SOM given correct SEAD anti-radar vision

Marine raiders SAW weapon nerfed slightly

USSR Moskya Pekhota card availability reduced, Betepah pekhota card availability increased.

TOR M2E missile given correct speed

Slam Eagle optics improved to exceptional.

CV-90-120 ammo reduced.

German Eurofighter availability changed from 2 cards of 1 to 1 card of 3/2/1 (4 rookies for pure German decks). Cost buffed to 175pts

Rafael maneuverability imprved
Su-27 ASF line maneuverability improved
Triton SEAD maneuverability improved

Another game question not related to the mod: Do you think that since marines and motorized infantry have their own exclusive infantry units, should Mechanized have it's own too?

I think that comes down to who's designing the game and what their design goals are for the gameplay vs their desire for force-org realism.

Which reminds me, I noticed that a lot of BLUfor infantry share weapons (especially high tier weapons) with each other more than in REDfor. An obvious example being how much of BLUfor infantry share the same LAW (Carl Gustav M3/M4) while the only equivalent of that particular weapon in REDfor I can think of is RPG-16D which only like two units in all of REDfor use it. Are you willing to change the way weapons are distributed among the REDfor nations to imply a competing arms race against the BLUfor nations?

I don't totally follow you.
There isn't a lot of real-world variation in the LAW weapons used by most of the Blufor nations. There are Carl-G's, and AT4's everywhere without a great deal of variation, but the Redfor nations seem to have developed a plethora of infantry antitank weapons. This is just reflected in the abundance of redfor infantry AT weapons.