Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.31; Now with a Discord link and Polish language support. Turkey replaces Denmark.

CuteKitten
Corporal

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows

Postby CuteKitten » Thu 9 Feb 2017 14:53

Hello,
can you replace the absolutely useless CH-53G with NH-90(lynx clone) or at least make it land faster? Right now the only useful transport for FSJ is the Fuchs, which is a little strange for a paratrooper unit.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Thu 9 Feb 2017 19:37

For the Sprut, the BMP-685 should be a good proxy. BMP-3 chassis with a long gun

Good idea, I'll swap that one in.

I know that no one will be able to play it, I was just thinking about making some changes and then showing them to you so I can hear your thoughts. (if you're okay with that)

You can just mention them here, but be aware there are a number of things that have been brought up before that I'm not putting in for assorted reasons.

Ah I see, I guess we all will just have to wait until more reliable information becomes available.

For some things, the information is reliable; the PLA don't use the MBT-2000 or MBT-3000. The same way the Russians don't use the Su-30MKI - The MKI is the designation for the licenced version built in India. Often in licenced versions, a country will install it's own avionics and sensor systems, as the seller rarely supplies it own state-of-the-art systems when it sells to foreign buyers.

Same thing with the MBT-2000 and MBT-3000; they're somewhat downrated versions of the designs currently in use by the PLA.

The MBT-2000 is a renamed Type-88C (AKA, type 90-II), which the PLA call the ZTZ-96 (Based on what Chinese speaking wargamers have posted)
The MBT-3000 is based on a subsequent improvement to the type 90-II design. Neither the MBT-2000 nor the MBT-3000 are used by the PLA, they're export models. The PLA use the Type 98 and Type 99 instead (designated as the ZTZ-99 and ZTZ-99A, from what I've been able to find) Presumably, the Type 98 and 99 are superior vehicles and the export MBT-3000's are somewhat downrated.

That is assuming that we will get that information before a 4th Wargame or WW3 somehow happening. Is this also why you didn't include units that were just concepts or early prototypes like Su-47?

As you say, the Su-47 is a concept. Much like the Grumman X-29. They were never intended to be production fighters, they were used to test and prove out bleeding edge tech developments; the performance of inherently unstable aerodynamics and the fly-by-wire controls needed to keep them in the air. You also get things like the X-53, which look like an F-18 but its a test bed for an Aerolastic wing technology. None of these things are being developed to serve in a combat role, however, discoveries made from them may end up in other, later combat aircraft.

There's just no good reason to put them in the game.

When I'm looking at things to add in to A&S, I start by looking at what role needs to be filled; Russia needs an ASF to compete with the F-22, so, weigh up how I want it to compete - range, speed, stealth? Then I go looking at anything the Russians built might fall into such a role. I find the PAK-FA; semi-stealthy. I find the KS-172 missile, very long range, intended as an AWACs killer. So I kinda fudge it a bit and give the Russians a somewhat stealthy aircraft armed with very long ranged missiles, so it fights differently to how the F-22 works, but hopefully, can act as a counter-balance to an F-22.

The Su-47? I have no role for it. I don't need to add it in.

one final question: should Ukraine be put into this mod?

No. The soviet union hasn't broken apart in the alternate history of A&S.

Hello,
can you replace the absolutely useless CH-53G with NH-90(lynx clone) or at least make it land faster? Right now the only useful transport for FSJ is the Fuchs, which is a little strange for a paratrooper unit.

I'll have to find what governs how quickly helos land first.

From memory, I have given an improved transport helo to the Germans in A&S. the CH-53 might be slow, but 10HP has its uses. Also, it's fast. And Helos aren't intended to survive if they get spotted in hot landing zones.

Edit: Yeah, so I went and looked at Germany, the NH-90 is already a transport option for FSJ. Fucking look for yourself next time.
Last edited by Spectre_nz on Fri 10 Feb 2017 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

gijoe41
Corporal

Postby gijoe41 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 01:42

Here's a couple articles on Chinese tanks that are pretty good

https://aw.my.com/gb/news/general/development-type-99

https://aw.my.com/gb/news/general/development-type-99a

their respective forum posts are also decent

Edit: Was doing some research and found this, it's called the AN/VLQ-7 Stingray, it's a system that works like the chinese laser dazzlers, it's supposed to automatically detect and then blind sensors and optics of enemy vehicles. It was apparently withdrawn because it can be used to blind infantry and crewmen operating periscopes and the like. 2 prototype demonstrators on bradleys delivered to the military for ODS, but never used in combat.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/stingray.htm

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Fri 10 Feb 2017 03:32

You can just mention them here, but be aware there are a number of things that have been brought up before that I'm not putting in for assorted reasons.

No problem.

No. The soviet union hasn't broken apart in the alternate history of A&S.

Right on, does that mean that we can get Ukrainian units in Soviet Union as well?

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Fri 10 Feb 2017 04:07

Depends on what the unit is and if there's a need for it

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Fri 10 Feb 2017 10:49

Spectre_nz wrote:Depends on what the unit is and if there's a need for it

T-84 Oplot as an additional T-80 maybe? BMPT-84 surprisingly showed up as I looked up the Oplot, so maybe include that REDMED infantry transport in Soviet Union as well? It's true that they don't have many exclusive things these days to be worth adding into the mod as far as I know.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
How about this Type-16 for Japan's vehicle tab?
Untitled.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Fri 10 Feb 2017 18:57

I've already got plans to add the MCV for Japan.

The Oplot for the Soviets; no.
After the First Checen war, the Russian high command had a really unfavourable view of the T-80. They dropped it like a hot potatoe and modernized the T-72 in its place. That's how the T-90 came along.
Russia has no shortage of heavy tanks and I've added in a heavy T-72 Derivative and a T-90 derivative. Plus the T-14 Line. It doesn't make a lot of sense to add in anything to the T-80 line, and there's plenty of other heavy tanks already in the line up.

The T-64BM2 is already in there, which is a Ukrainian modernization (Russia dropped T-64's from active service but keeps a few thousand in reserve)

The Soviets also have a number of heavy IFV's; the T-15, for example. They don't need a BMP-84 too.

Zomba69
Master Sergeant

Postby Zomba69 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 19:58

Do you have some plans for DLS nations?

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Fri 10 Feb 2017 21:16

Yes, I've mentioned a few of them already in this thread. I'll update the first post so the info is easy to find for everyone.

gijoe41
Corporal

Postby gijoe41 » Sat 11 Feb 2017 00:26

Russia actually has more T-80s in service than it does T-90s. They even have a plan to upgrade the 3000 that they have in reserve with new ERA, APU, ammo, guns and FCS

http://www.janes.com/article/65580/russ ... to-service