Patch 626 and what this means to modders

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Patch 626 and what this means to modders

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 14 Oct 2015 04:01

As most of you know, patch 626 came out today. As I thought most of you would know, there is a high chance that your mod can be easily ported over to the new version. As some of you know, globals.ndfbin, maps.dic (all languages), and DataMap.dat are theoretically the only files to have changed, discounting the small balance tweaks Eugen made. This means that if your mod only changed everthing.ndfbin, unites.dic, or any images/textures, (which most do) you should still be safe. Here is how to port over your old work into the new files.

For everything.ndfbin:
1. Go to you newest modded NDF_Win.dat version and find everything.ndfbin.
2. If you have not already, set the export path in Settings>Change export path. Desktop or your Wargame Red Dragon folder is recommended.
3. Click once on the everything.ndfbin row so that it is highlighted blue.
4. Click the Raw data button on the top left (looks like a trash can) and then Export.
5. Now open NDF_Win.dat of folder 430000626 using the Modding Suite (remember to make a backup).
6. Find everything.ndfbin in that NDF and click on it once.
7. Click the Raw Data button and then REPLACE, NOT EXPORT!
8. There is no saving involved. All you need to do is to wait for the loading circle to stop (loading time is very fast for .ndfbin/.dic files) and then start Red Dragon!

For unites.dic:
Same thing as everything.ndfbin, new ZZ_Win.dat is in 610\626.

For textures/pictures:
Same thing as unites.dic, also in 610\626, use the Textures button instead of Raw data.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Re: Patch 626 and what this means to modders

Postby Spectre_nz » Wed 14 Oct 2015 04:34

Cool, I'll do this.

Although It'd been running ok while I was testing changes after just copying over the .629 file with my older .610 copy. I guess there was something I hadn't noticed that was missing from somewhere.

As an aside; The baseline NDF file is ~21Mb. When I mod it, it drops to ~6.5Mb. Am I losing 14Mb of something or is it overly padded?

Narcissistic Black
Major

Postby Narcissistic Black » Wed 14 Oct 2015 05:13

true gem of the modding community..
The First Narcissist
Click signature to see Modification, Alpha Released. Try now.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 14 Oct 2015 05:27

Spectre_nz wrote:Cool, I'll do this.

Although It'd been running ok while I was testing changes after just copying over the .629 file with my older .610 copy. I guess there was something I hadn't noticed that was missing from somewhere.

As an aside; The baseline NDF file is ~21Mb. When I mod it, it drops to ~6.5Mb. Am I losing 14Mb of something or is it overly padded?

If you replace the whole NDF_Win.dat file, you "lose" everything new in the patch, which the only thing I know would be globals.ndfbin (aka the ability to play the new maps).

Okay, I might be wrong about this, but I assume that when saving a modded NDF_Win.dat file for the first time, the WMS somehow compresses or maybe even removes unneeded data. Anyway, I haven't seen anything harmful come out of this, it's actually a great indicator to tell which NDF_Win.dat files are original (about 21KB) or which ones are modded (about 7KB).

Narcissistic Black wrote:true gem of the modding community..

HK-47
Corporal

Postby HK-47 » Wed 14 Oct 2015 05:46

So If I changed other files (gdconstante original for example) i'd have to follow the same procedures but for that file?

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 14 Oct 2015 05:53

Exactly.

Unfortunately, this is the smallest form of file replacement there is in Wargame, meaning mods that change different files can theoretically be installed to run. For example, Wished Dreams (which changes everything.ndfbin and unites.dic) and the Camera Mod (which changes basecamera.ndfbin). However, mods that use the same files (ie Wished Dreams and Sandbox) are not compatible. Reskins are an exception to this, because even though all reskins are in commoninterface.ppk, the .ppk also has individual .tgv files that can be replaced.

HK-47
Corporal

Postby HK-47 » Wed 14 Oct 2015 06:13

I'm modding the 2kw, (Using the BGM and the modding suite), and did your procedure for all the files I thought I had modded, however the game crashes while loading the 2kw in game (the game starts normally but it won't load the 2kw). Any idea what I may be missing? I've been trying the WGpatcher method, but yours looks substantially less complicated and time consuming

vinz75
First Sergeant

Postby vinz75 » Wed 14 Oct 2015 09:23

Thank you so much W:AB Noob,

Your help for all modders is invaluable :)

Vinz

jts3579
Staff Sergeant

Postby jts3579 » Wed 14 Oct 2015 09:42

I just did this to All Out War and it doesnt seem to work if you port over gdconstanteoriginal

Nevermind, I f***ed up. I didn't select before replacing gdconstantoriginal.

Damn Noob I swear there wouldn't be an All Out War without your help. I can't thank you enough.

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Wed 14 Oct 2015 12:47

Thank you so much, Noob. Saved me countless hours of writing new unit names in the new ZZ_Win :mrgreen:

Return to “Modding”