Wargame: Operation Iraqi Freedom

KarlsK
Corporal

Wargame: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Postby KarlsK » Sat 14 Nov 2015 16:32

Hello. This is my first mod project for Wargame: Red Dragon. It's a real early WIP, and I haven't got much yet.
This mod is about making the US, UK and ANZAC into the NATO-led MNF-I force we saw about ten years ago, and North Korea, Poland and the USSR into the Iraqi and Insurgent forces.
This mod will be extensive, changing small things from textures to units, availability and costs.

Screenshots
Spoiler : :

Download: Not yet, really WIP.

Changes
Made U.S Riflemen Textures into Desert ACU camo
Made U.S Marines Textures into MARPAT camo.

To Do
Proper Camos (Almost done for US!)
Buff most tanks
Remove obsolete equipment
Tweak aircrafts
Tweak Damage
Tan Tanks
Make U.S Marines into U.S Marines '00
Make U.S Marines '90 into U.S Marines '10
Remove Obsolete Units
Make Delta Force into Seal Team Six
A lot of changes to normal infantry
A "Sandbox" mode.
Make NK infantry Insurgents, and Polish and Soviets into the Iraqi Regime.
Add Apache for the UK
Remove pretty much all US fixed-wing aircrafts except the F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18, A-10 and some more.
Remove older US tanks, such as the M1, the M46, M60, reroll some Abrams as following: M1A1AIM v1, M1A1AIM v2, M1A1D.
Remove most AA-teams, except Stinger-C.
(More to come, suggestions welcome)

This is really, really, really early WIP. I mean it. It will take months to get even a slightest release ready, but if I can just get some help from some experienced modders, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-KarlsK
Last edited by KarlsK on Tue 17 Nov 2015 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Wargame: Operation Iraqi Freedom

Postby Mike » Sat 14 Nov 2015 20:23

Good luck!
Courtesy of KattiValk

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 14 Nov 2015 21:11

KarlsK wrote:if I can just get some help from some experienced modders, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

That word, help. Ugh, I've grown to hate it so much...

I would be at least halfway done before I announce an ambitious project like this. There are so many things I have worked on in the past and it was a good thing I didn't raise hype for it because they all died somehow eventually.

Also, all I see is US changes, but you name UK, ANZAC, Germany, and others. ALSO, THE TALIBAN WAS NEVER IN IRAQ!!!!
Yes, there was an insurgency, but it was a separate insurgency altogether, not supported by the Taliban at all. The Iraqi insurgency was made up of disbanded Iraqi soldiers and civilians, with the intent on getting the coalition out, while the Taliban was pretty much a religious-based government in Afghanistan. Iraq =/= Afghanistan.

You also call the mod Operation Iraqi Freedom, which was when the Coalition (MNF-I, which btw =/= ISAF) invaded Iraq in 2003, while the insurgency started around 2004. Instead, the other team should be the Iraq itself.

If textures is one of your priorities, look far and wide on other people's textures. pok has a huge inventory of desert skins, COMThing, Darkmil, Custard, londonsmee, Scouse, and many others have made desert vehicle skins. Also, thrawn made a Desert Storm reskin mod, which you can probably ask pok for.

And there are a lot of other questions regarding gameplay, such as how the insurgency battles will work, and what unique units Iraq gets. How are Marine '00 going to be different from Marine '10 (BTW, Iraq War is 2003-2011, though the US withdrew most forces by 2009)? What kind of aircraft and damage tweaks will we see? I encourage you to look at Silverhaze's Insurgency Mod for some inspiration.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

KarlsK
Corporal

Postby KarlsK » Sat 14 Nov 2015 21:34

The W:AB Noob wrote:
KarlsK wrote:if I can just get some help from some experienced modders, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

That word, help. Ugh, I've grown to hate it so much...

I would be at least halfway done before I announce an ambitious project like this. There are so many things I have worked on in the past and it was a good thing I didn't raise hype for it because they all died somehow eventually.

Sorry. But I promise this wont die.
Also, all I see is US changes, but you name UK, ANZAC, Germany, and others. ALSO, THE TALIBAN WAS NEVER IN IRAQ!!!!
Yes, there was an insurgency, but it was a separate insurgency altogether, not supported by the Taliban at all. The Iraqi insurgency was made up of disbanded Iraqi soldiers and civilians, with the intent on getting the coalition out, while the Taliban was pretty much a religious-based government in Afghanistan. Iraq =/= Afghanistan.

Thanks. Will fix that.

You also call the mod Operation Iraqi Freedom, which was when the Coalition (MNF-I, which btw =/= ISAF) invaded Iraq in 2003, while the insurgency started around 2004. Instead, the other team should be the Iraq itself.

Will fix that too.

If textures is one of your priorities, look far and wide on other people's textures. pok has a huge inventory of desert skins, COMThing, Darkmil, Custard, londonsmee, Scouse, and many others have made desert vehicle skins. Also, thrawn made a Desert Storm reskin mod, which you can probably ask pok for.

I will make my own, because I need to learn how to make my own. I've only made textures for GTA IV and V before.

And there are a lot of other questions regarding gameplay, such as how the insurgency battles will work, and what unique units Iraq gets. How are Marine '00 going to be different from Marine '10 (BTW, Iraq War is 2003-2011, though the US withdrew most forces by 2009)? What kind of aircraft and damage tweaks will we see? I encourage you to look at Silverhaze's Insurgency Mod for some inspiration.

They will have light, mobilized infantry, T-72s, T-80s, T-62s with improved armor, and they will also have a lot of infantry with RPGs, Technicals and some Helicopters, a lot of base-line infantry, and some special forces.
The difference between Marines '00 and '10 is mainly the training ('00 is regular, '10 is shock), weapons ('00 will have a "Carl Gustav" and M16A2 and '10 will have AT4 and M16A3, main difference is stability and range)

It's not gonna be a hundred percent historically correct. I am including some nations, just because I feel like it, and I feel like they would add some more content. Nope. Changed my mind.
This may be a huge and ambitious project, but I am not the kind of person who quits.
During the last two years, when my modding career started, I've only given up on two project, out of around 40. I do textures on a daily basis, and I might put stuff on hold for a while, but I don't give up easily.

KarlsK
Corporal

Postby KarlsK » Thu 19 Nov 2015 18:51

Ugh, I hate breaking promises and stuff, especially this early into a project...
I couldn't really make textures, at least for Vehicles. so I am gonna ask the community for some help. I just can't get the ATI Compressanator tool to work, and the like new one is like, I can't figure it out.
I would ask Thrawn for his Desert Storm skins, buuuut he's banned so that sucks. :|

pok
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby pok » Thu 19 Nov 2015 19:24

It very interesting but i guess sometime you don't have to do everything by yourself i guess

I think marine should look like this for desert. But I'm not sure anyway

or this

I don't know since did not research much about Gulfwar ~ ~ But anyway hope you success with your mod :). Welcome to modding community :D

KarlsK
Corporal

Postby KarlsK » Thu 19 Nov 2015 19:38

pok wrote:It very interesting but i guess sometime you don't have to do everything by yourself i guess

or this

I don't know since did not research much about Gulfwar ~ ~ But anyway hope you success with your mod :). Welcome to modding community :D

I went with Woodland MARPAT for the marines because that's the only camo I could really find a good base for, and it was used during the Iraqi Invasion. Thanks by the way, but I'll try to make most stuff by my self, except, well, vehicle textures. :D

Edit: I got the AA teams in the new camo! Remaning Units: Deltas (Soon to be SEAL Team Six), TACOM and Light Riflemens!

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Thu 19 Nov 2015 21:09

KarlsK wrote:I couldn't really make textures, at least for Vehicles. so I am gonna ask the community for some help.

The H word again... :|
KarlsK wrote:I just can't get the ATI Compressanator tool to work, and the like new one is like, I can't figure it out.

Isn't that for finding what the save format is? It's DXT5, interpolated alpha, no MipMaps, 2d Texture. What program are you using for reskins?
KarlsK wrote:I would ask Thrawn for his Desert Storm skins, buuuut he's banned so that sucks. :|

Look at my first post.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

KarlsK
Corporal

Postby KarlsK » Thu 19 Nov 2015 21:24

The W:AB Noob wrote:
KarlsK wrote:I couldn't really make textures, at least for Vehicles. so I am gonna ask the community for some help.

The H word again... :|
KarlsK wrote:I just can't get the ATI Compressanator tool to work, and the like new one is like, I can't figure it out.

Isn't that for finding what the save format is? It's DXT5, interpolated alpha, no MipMaps, 2d Texture. What program are you using for reskins?
KarlsK wrote:I would ask Thrawn for his Desert Storm skins, buuuut he's banned so that sucks. :|

Look at my first post.

Paint.NET. But like, I followed this: viewtopic.php?f=161&t=40121 And I wanted to give that a try, and make use of those Alpha Channels.

I actually PM'd pok not long ago.
I am sorry for the H word.

pok
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby pok » Fri 20 Nov 2015 01:38

KarlsK wrote:
pok wrote:It very interesting but i guess sometime you don't have to do everything by yourself i guess

or this

I went with Woodland MARPAT for the marines because that's the only camo I could really find a good base for, and it was used during the Iraqi Invasion. Thanks by the way, but I'll try to make most stuff by my self, except, well, vehicle textures. :D

Edit: I got the AA teams in the new camo! Remaning Units: Deltas (Soon to be SEAL Team Six), TACOM and Light Riflemens!

ok :)
I think this camo you want it my old work.

:) Anyway i will contact Tharwn for you.But yeah reskin require sometime i already work on it for 1 year. Good luck. I think i use photoshop for reskin it easier by the way :P.

Look forward to see your mod release :)

Return to “Modding”