Would Hinds be better modelled as aircraft?

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Would Hinds be better modelled as aircraft?

Postby Tiera » Mon 7 Dec 2015 00:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7p25y ... u.be&t=220

Would it work? The way these gunships operate in real life is much closer to the way aircrafts are modelled in RD. Instead of leaving them like that, would it be possible to rerole them as attack aircrafts with realistic speed values and turning radius?

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: Would Hinds be better modelled as aircraft?

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 7 Dec 2015 00:41

Same with most helicopter gunships, like UH-1C's. However, giving them aircraft flight models would mean that they can't land, and therefore, can't unload infantry nor reload weapons.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Mon 7 Dec 2015 00:47

From time to time I have seen gunships firing on the move like this... mainly followed by people calling 'helo spam'

I don't think speeds scale all that well in WG. Things going 400 or even 500kph seem painfully slow compared to aircraft. So I can imagine either the Hind would end up a comically slow plane, or have to get exaggerated speed.

And then with the whole 'overfly the attack point, peel off and evac' I think for the Hinds this would mostly result in them getting their delicate unmentionables forcibly redistributed by SPAAG on the first pass.

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Mon 7 Dec 2015 03:20

The W:AB Noob wrote:Same with most helicopter gunships, like UH-1C's. However, giving them aircraft flight models would mean that they can't land, and therefore, can't unload infantry nor reload weapons.

Well, if they're full aircraft reloading would be conducted off-map. And as for transporting infantry, one could leave a single variant for that job and transfer the rest of the Hind models to the Air tab. And yes, they'd be slow when compared to dedicated ground support aircraft, but that wouldn't necessarily mean they'd be useless in-game.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Mon 7 Dec 2015 04:08

The bigger problem is helicopter AI is still terrible even with the changes they did a while back.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Mon 7 Dec 2015 05:02

I dont really want to see my helo strike taking forever to arrive....

and seems like Ai will send to them to death like kiheer said
Of Salt

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Mon 7 Dec 2015 11:27

Tiera wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7p25yu6LY&feature=youtu.be&t=220

Would it work? The way these gunships operate in real life is much closer to the way aircrafts are modelled in RD. Instead of leaving them like that, would it be possible to rerole them as attack aircrafts with realistic speed values and turning radius?

And why only Hind? All combat helo is able to do this morover even stone age Vietnam era UH-1 with rocket pods... Helos in WG can fire during move so I do not understand why do you wish to turn any helo to AC...

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 7 Dec 2015 16:16

I modded this two times. Each time took about 20 min, and each time, WMS refused to save due to an error. Ugh, I'll try again later.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Mon 7 Dec 2015 20:51

molnibalage wrote:
Tiera wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7p25yu6LY&feature=youtu.be&t=220

And why only Hind? All combat helo is able to do this morover even stone age Vietnam era UH-1 with rocket pods... Helos in WG can fire during move so I do not understand why do you wish to turn any helo to AC...

Because that would enable them to better perform their real-life tactics instead of slowly hovering around?

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Mon 7 Dec 2015 20:54

another505 wrote:I dont really want to see my helo strike taking forever to arrive....

and seems like Ai will send to them to death like kiheer said

You could add them a hefty TOT value and keep them a bit further back so they'd be ready to interfere when you need them.

And Isn't that what the RD AI does with all unit types?

Return to “Modding”