Backing up skins

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Backing up skins

Postby JBravo » Sun 20 Mar 2016 05:33

I'm not sure how the skins are installed, all I know is that someone made an awesome installer that does the job well. But when you install a skin, as far as I know, there's no way to uninstall it.

My question is this - is there a file or folder I can back up in case I regret installing a particular skin?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at a skin pack that not only alters skins, but unit portraits as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who quickly identifies units in the top left by their portrait rather than their name. I'm hoping there's something I can back up just in case the changed portraits mess me up too much.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: Backing up skins

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 20 Mar 2016 16:07

Unfortunately, it is very possible for skin installers to have a backup maker or uninstaller, but none that I know of include one.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 20 Mar 2016 19:17

I uploaded 3 files with most unit skins and cards on Google Drive for you to download. Read the readme for more details.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Sun 20 Mar 2016 20:25

The W:AB Noob wrote:I uploaded 3 files with most unit skins and cards on Google Drive for you to download. Read the readme for more details.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

So besides using those files in the link, if I just want to restore to my most recent skin settings, before installing a mod I can just backup ZZ_3a, ZZ_3b and ZZ_4 and I'll be able to revert back correct?

pok
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby pok » Tue 22 Mar 2016 10:41

Yep. But make sure you have backup the right version of zz_3a, zz_3b file. Since some of skin is in the different version. Normally I'm lazy after i have skin i like install all i will back up the whole Data folder lolz it 14 GB

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Mon 28 Mar 2016 08:50

The W:AB Noob wrote:I uploaded 3 files with most unit skins and cards on Google Drive for you to download. Read the readme for more details.

What Program do you use too read the file/ backup/ save. Exp ZZ_3a.dat Where would you go find Unit Images too alter or Replace like a Skin?

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 28 Mar 2016 09:11

You can either take the originals provided here and install the skins over again, just being careful with the ones you don't want, or replace a specific texture. If you go the first route, the most efficient way to get the originals is through the Steam Cache, but I uploaded these in case there are other mods you have on that you don't want overwritten by Steam.

For the second choice, you have to first get the Wargame Modding Suite (viewtopic.php?f=187&t=56451#p904985) and make sure to have Microsoft .NET 4.5. Then open the original ZZ_3a/b.dat, and use the Texture Extract (not the Raw Extract) to get the original texture. (You have to set a export destination first by going to the settings tab.) Then open the modified ZZ_3.dat and Texture Replace that. (Again, not Raw Replace.)
ZZ_4's (unit cards) are one more step. You have to first export the commoninterface.ppk then open that with the Modding Suite and texture export the picture from there.

If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I can also Steam chat, TS3, email, or even Warchat if you prefer those.

Return to “Modding”