WarGame meets Close Combat?

CybrSlydr
Private

WarGame meets Close Combat?

Postby CybrSlydr » Fri 22 Apr 2016 04:33

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far has to be my favorite RTS of all time probably followed by Close Combat: Invasion Normandy.

I loved the Normandy meta of taking areas and then fighting it out while using your resource points to requisition new units for each battle.

Then the WarGame games came out. I pre-ordered European Escalation and have AirLand Battle - but the whole base building mechanic and capturing points for resource points... I'm just too damn slow and it isn't any fun.

So I'm here to ask, are there any mods that do away with the base building and give you set unit battles with limited reinforcements like in the Close Combat series?

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: WarGame meets Close Combat?

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 22 Apr 2016 06:15

CybrSlydr wrote:Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far has to be my favorite RTS of all time probably followed by Close Combat: Invasion Normandy.

I loved the Normandy meta of taking areas and then fighting it out while using your resource points to requisition new units for each battle.

Then the WarGame games came out. I pre-ordered European Escalation and have AirLand Battle - but the whole base building mechanic and capturing points for resource points... I'm just too damn slow and it isn't any fun.

So I'm here to ask, are there any mods that do away with the base building and give you set unit battles with limited reinforcements like in the Close Combat series?

You know, the base building mechanic has always annoyed me too. The Cold War setting is great, but it kinda takes away the realism by making barracks, factories, and resources mandatory for a strong army. The funny thing is, I made a mod just like this a couple months ago, but never released it.

Here is the download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywlIc ... sp=sharing

Copy the file to Steam\SteamApps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\430000210 and keep the name the same. Since the game detects that the file is modified, it will automatically run using that file as a reference.

I hope you don't mind, but that mod also makes a cool "Deck" system so that you can't get an infinite number of each unit, and it also makes the game run 0.5 times as slow to make it more fun and manageable. This means games will take 80 minutes rather than the normal 40.
THIS WAS A JOKE, NONE OF IT IS TRUE
Last edited by The W:AB Noob on Tue 18 Jul 2017 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Narcissistic Black
Major

Postby Narcissistic Black » Fri 22 Apr 2016 17:52

The W:AB Noob wrote:
CybrSlydr wrote:Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far has to be my favorite RTS of all time probably followed by Close Combat: Invasion Normandy.

You know, the base building mechanic has always annoyed me too. The Cold War setting is great, but it kinda takes away the realism by making barracks, factories, and resources mandatory for a strong army. The funny thing is, I made a mod just like this a couple months ago, but never released it.

Here is the download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywlIc ... sp=sharing

Copy the file to Steam\SteamApps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\430000210 and keep the name the same. Since the game detects that the file is modified, it will automatically run using that file as a reference.

I hope you don't mind, but that mod also makes a cool "Deck" system so that you can't get an infinite number of each unit, and it also makes the game run 0.5 times as slow to make it more fun and manageable. This means games will take 80 minutes rather than the normal 40.

+1
The First Narcissist
Click signature to see Modification, Alpha Released. Try now.

ilias
Sergeant First-Class

Postby ilias » Mon 17 Jul 2017 22:15

CybrSlydr wrote:Copy the file to Steam\SteamApps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\430000210 and keep the name the same. Since the game detects that the file is modified, it will automatically run using that file as a reference.

you mean "game detects that the ! folder ! is modified" ?
And hope it'll not bother you can you explain what does the mod changing please ? (i do not really understand what you both mean in the topic and didn't mentioned any changes with the mod)

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 18 Jul 2017 17:11

ilias wrote:
CybrSlydr wrote:Copy the file to Steam\SteamApps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\430000210 and keep the name the same. Since the game detects that the file is modified, it will automatically run using that file as a reference.

you mean "game detects that the ! folder ! is modified" ?
And hope it'll not bother you can you explain what does the mod changing please ? (i do not really understand what you both mean in the topic and didn't mentioned any changes with the mod)

This was from like more than a year ago. The info I posted there was all purposely incorrect as a joke (the OP was talking about non-existing "basebuilding" mechanics), the game does not automatically know which files are modded (you have to put them in the right folders manually). Also, that was literally just a renamed original NDF_Win.dat, literally unchanged IIRC. Sorry, forgot about this post a long time ago and it didn't occur to me that people might be referring to it even now.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

ilias
Sergeant First-Class

Postby ilias » Tue 18 Jul 2017 20:52

The W:AB Noob wrote:..

thanks for explanation )

Return to “Modding”