Wargame: Airland Dragon

Sireyn
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Wargame: Airland Dragon

Postby Sireyn » Sat 2 Dec 2017 20:19

Oh no, not in the least. If you have any more ideas, I'd be happy to hear them, even if you think they are small details.

I am currently collecting data for a MANPADS reevaluation. It seems a great deal of stats in-game are purely balance decisions, especially between the Strela/Iglas. It also may provide an opportunity to add up to the Stinger D (1992?) or Singer E (1995).

WIP Spreadsheet, only recently started
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Sixt
Private First-Class

Postby Sixt » Wed 3 Jan 2018 18:02

Great mod :-)
The small changes to the ai have an big impact on how it plays. It is still not par to a human player, but this is still way better than vanilla. I know alot of the ai's behaviour is hardcoded, but i hope to see more of this anyways :-)

Sireyn
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Sireyn » Wed 3 Jan 2018 22:33

Thanks for the comment! The AI behavior is largely affected by changing the tracked road speeds- not being stuck to roads causes the AI to become less predictable. I'm hard at work with some bigger changes as well as many minor balance and consistency tweaks.

Here are some highlights

WIP
- Replace USSR vanilla decks with Soviet doctrine deck types
- Reevaluate MANPADS based on gathered technical data
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jf-E1cab3qp5r7PuZfCB_BCt5nh8fz80L7mEzPF9RPs/edit?usp=sharing

Done
- "Fine-tuning NK/China"
- Removed general decks. A "national/coalition" and "type" must be selected
- Replaced "prototype" property with "airliftable"
- (W. Germany) Wiesels are now airliftable through CH-53G
- (W. Germany) Changed Jager to shock
- (Yugoslavia) Rerolled recon PAST Izvidjac to support M53/55 Praga LRU
- (Finland) Moved recon T-55 to tank tab, renamed T-55M Matti, and adjusted stats accordingly
- (USSR) Added Su-27K cluster bomber for Marines (6x RBK-500, 4x R-73A Vympel)
- (USSR) Added MiG-31F SEAD for Marines (4x Kh-31P, 4x R-77 Vympel)
Source: page 32 https://books.google.com/books?id=P7LWCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Thu 4 Jan 2018 00:59

Wow I'm amazed at the amount of research work you put in this mod to make things as realistic as possible.
You really think about specific détails of each weapon system and real life unit organization.

May I advise you to have a look at the soviet armor blog (aka tankograd) if you haven't already? It has a lot of information on Soviet AFVs including armor composition, FCS an optics.

Keep up with the good work.

Sixt
Private First-Class

Postby Sixt » Mon 8 Jan 2018 22:55

Is there anyway to change the build priorities of the ai? :-)

Sireyn
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Sireyn » Mon 8 Jan 2018 23:56

I've only dug surface deep into the AI, and it's mostly nested lists of numbers. I suspect almost anything with the AI is possible, but there is no way for me to tell how it works.

Sixt
Private First-Class

Postby Sixt » Mon 22 Jan 2018 18:26

Looking forward to the update :-)
The part with finetuning the Chinese an North korea decks sounds interesting.

Sireyn
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Sireyn » Mon 22 Jan 2018 22:29

I'm fine tuning and bug fixing at the moment. I should upload a new version sometime today. Here are some more highlights.

Done
- MANPAD adjustments https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jf-E1cab3qp5r7PuZfCB_BCt5nh8fz80L7mEzPF9RPs/edit#gid=1500498052
- (Redfor) Replaced several militia unit's RPG-2's for RPG-7's
- (Redfor) Replaced all Strela-1 vehicles with Strela-1M
- (USSR) Added Mig-29K ATGM plane for Marines (4x Kh-29T, 4x R-73A Vympel)
- (USSR) Added T-80U and 2S3/M Akatsiya to Marines
Source : page 223 https://books.google.com/books?id=AFUiZB3Z60gC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
- (Yugoslavia) Added Nora-B ERFB artillery (M87 ERFB-BB gun, 39km range, 9 HE)
- (Yugoslavia) Renamed a couple infantry rockets to their correct names (M-79 Osa, M-80 Zolja)
- (USA) Added Cavalry Scouts in a 1975 variant
- (Israel) Fixed Merkava's mortars overriding main gun
- (Israel) Switched Maglan to infantry tab and Shayetet 13 to recon tab
- (Israel) Switched Merkava IIA to tank tab and set Merkava IIB as infantry transport

Next on the List
- Fix new USSR decks (new decks that have units added through the WGPatcher do not appropriate units into match correctly)
- RPG adjustments based on gathered technical data

Current Considerations
- Helicopter ECM and flares (it seems only the US and Russia implemented this on a wide scale)
- Replace PAH-2 Tiger HOT-3's with Hellfires
- Kustjagare LMG replaced with Mk19
- Extending helo ATGM ranges

If anyone has any game or balance suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

captinjoehenry
Private

Postby captinjoehenry » Wed 7 Feb 2018 01:07

Hmm... I am most interested in the benefits to the AI with this mod so I was wondering if there is a mod out there that just focus on improving the skirmish AI.

Sireyn
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Sireyn » Wed 7 Feb 2018 06:50

captinjoehenry wrote:Hmm... I am most interestedin the benefits to the AI with this mod so I was wondering if there is a mod out there that just focus on improving the skirmish AI.

There are several easily reachable variables that modify AI income and adjusts their unit counts, but to my knowledge, noone understands how the AI logic is organized as it only consists of nested lists of numbers.

If I did know how to modify this, I would attempt to force the AI to group up units for a combined arms push instead of fast-moving them to a target. The vanilla AI tends to deploy the majority of its force and assault you in one big push. I've attempted to smooth this out and have them attack in waves to keep the match interesting. Any other behavior differences largely have to do with road/offroad speeds of tracked units, which helps encourage the AI to use more of the map.