Alan

Sonki3
Corporal

Re: Wargame: Airland Dragon

Postby Sonki3 » Wed 9 May 2018 15:18

Hey there.

Interesting mod. When is the next version going to come out? :D

I got a few questions.

-)What are your future plans for this mod? (Are you going to implement maps from EE or AB?)

-)Are you going to try and implement new mechanics like Ash and Shadows does? (or will you do it differently)

Thanks. :)
"A Roland for an Oliver."

"Wie du mir, so ich dir."

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Wed 9 May 2018 15:58

Sonki3 wrote:
-)What are your future plans for this mod? (Are you going to implement maps from EE or AB?)

-)Are you going to try and implement new mechanics like Ash and Shadows does? (or will you do it differently)

It is close to impossible to adapt maps even from AB.
IMHO RD has enough maps, the main problems are different. A part of them could be fixed by only stat and DB changes but many of them is because of the code which cannod be upgraded.

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Wed 9 May 2018 19:34

molnibalage wrote:
Sonki3 wrote:

It is close to impossible to adapt maps even from AB.
IMHO RD has enough maps, the main problems are different. A part of them could be fixed by only stat and DB changes but many of them is because of the code which cannod be upgraded.

By the way, I was wondering if it is possible to modify some asspects of ingame maps such as cover placement. In fact can we create areas of cover/stealth on the maps?

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Thu 10 May 2018 00:32

Sonki3 wrote:Hey there.

Interesting mod. When is the next version going to come out? :D

I got a few questions.

I've been lazy about modding this since Battletech came out (I got sucked into a collaborative project). I'll do some polishing and upload the version with the changes I have listed within a day or so.

-) My future plans would include a full RPG rebalance, helicopter ECM/Flares, tweaking Swedish aircraft loadouts, and much more. However, I am finding less time lately to continue working on this.

-) New types of weapons, like APS, dazzlers, and EWAR? No, my mod is meant to stay closely in line with Eugen's modeling of the game. Much of that equipment would either be extremely rare or out of timeframe, so it is not worth the effort and gameplay concerns.

I had experimented with automatic smoke dischargers for tanks, but could not get it to function realistically. I wanted it to be dependent on turret facing, but that caused erratic animations. FOBs as command units doesn't work for a reason I cannot diagnose. Infantry smoke grenades may be possible, but I haven't explored it in depth yet.

By the way, I was wondering if it is possible to modify some asspects of ingame maps such as cover placement. In fact can we create areas of cover/stealth on the maps?

It is possible to alter capture zones, point values, and spawn locations on existing maps. I briefly looked into it and discovered that only certain maps can be edited successfully.

Sonki3
Corporal

Postby Sonki3 » Thu 31 May 2018 12:23

Hello

I got a question.

Can you replace the coalition "Landjut" with another combo like USA and ANZAC? :?:

Landjut is not really good in any way. It is not special at anything. (Germany is better off in a coalition with France.)
ANZAC also lacks strength but with the support of the USA they can become a better combo than Landjut. (USA - Anzac Alliance)

(I know that ANZAC is part of the Commonwealth coalition, but it would be more realistic for a pacific front.)

Thanks. (Are you still working on the mod and are there any news to it? Anything new?) :D

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Fri 1 Jun 2018 00:21

Sonki3 wrote:Can you replace the coalition "Landjut" with another combo like USA and ANZAC? :?:

Landjut is not really good in any way. It is not special at anything. (Germany is better off in a coalition with France.)
ANZAC also lacks strength but with the support of the USA they can become a better combo than Landjut. (USA - Anzac Alliance)

I think the US on its own is strong enough to handle any other deck in Wargame, so I would be hesitant to include them in any other coalition. I have considered including ANZAC into Blue Dragons, but have not put a lot of thought into the idea yet.

Landjut makes as much sense as NORAD, so I am inclined to retain it, though I am open to alternatives that are historically authentic and benefit gameplay.

Sonki3 wrote:Thanks. (Are you still working on the mod and are there any news to it? Anything new?) :D

I am nearly done incorporating the suggestions in this thread as well as many other minor changes. As you can imagine, researching, editing, and playtesting can be very time consuming :P

Some Highlights
(All) Several aircraft had their turn rates standardized
(All) Lots of aircraft guns had their ammunition counts corrected
(All) Lots and lots of corrections to aircraft mounting the wrong guns with the wrong names
(USA) F-14 Tomcat in the naval tab was move to the air tab and converted to an F-14A+ with AIM-7P and AIM-7M
(USA) Naval F/A-18E is losing its ridiculous wingtip AMRAAMS for Sidewinders (visuals still WIP)
(UK) Harrier Gr.1 rerolled into a Sea Harrier FRS.2 with 2x AIM-120 and 4x AIM-9L
(UK) Harrier Gr.3 was given use of all four of its rocket pods
(UK) Harrier Gr.7 had its bombs replaced with 2x CPU-123/B
(UK) Tornado GR.1 had its cluster bombs replaced with 8x MC/GP Mk10's
(UK) Jaguar GR.1's exchanged loadouts, with the cluster bomber having 4x IBL-755 and 2x AIM-7L (the hardpoints won't allow accurate weapon mounting locations)
(France) Entendard IVM rerolled to a rocket attacker with 36x SNEB rockets
(W. Germany) PAH-2 Tiger exchanged its rocket pod for four extra HOT-3 missiles for a total of 8
(Canada) CH-118 Gunship converted into a CH-146 Griffon with a tentative loadout of 14x CRV7 AP rockets (it seems like it was possible even though Canada never decided to attach rockets to them)
(ANZAC) MB-339CB was rerolled into a rocket attacker with 28x CRV7 HE rockets and 14x CRV7 AP rockets
(ANZAC) BAC Strikemaster given two extra napalm bombs

(USSR) Su-27PU restricted to marines and removed 2x R-73's for the wingtip ECM pods
(USSR) Su-27M rerolled into the top tier ASF (
(USSR) Mig-27 rocket count reduced to 80 (4 pods of 20)
(USSR) Su-24M had its bomb load replaced with 2x FAB1500's
(E. Germany) Mig-29 had its R-77's replaced with R-27ER
(China) J-7D was rerolled into a rocket attacker with Type 90-1 napalm rockets

Immediate Plans
- Replace the Finnish Mig-25 with a Mig-31,
- Restructure the US infantry to include Dragon ATGM's
- Take a look at the Kub vs Neva ranges
- Model the AP CRV7 as a KE weapon
- Incorporate radar and nonradar weapons on anti-aircraft platforms that could do it
- Give command units recon optics
- Finish removing missile splash from AA missiles
- Complete the installer program.

My source for mounting 4x R-27's on the Finnish Mig-29

Sonki3
Corporal

Postby Sonki3 » Mon 4 Jun 2018 16:08

Awesome. Looking forward to the new version. :)

I find it fascinating how you continue improving your mod and it seems like new ideas are always on the horizon. :D
Keep up the great work.

I got a question though. Can you give Denmark a Leopard 2 tank? I ask this, because the Danish Government bought 1997 - 51 Leopard 2A4 tanks. It would actually be historically correct to add that war machine.

Thanks. ;)

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Fri 8 Jun 2018 23:15

Sonki3 wrote:Awesome. Looking forward to the new version. :)

I find it fascinating how you continue improving your mod and it seems like new ideas are always on the horizon. :D
Keep up the great work.

I got a question though. Can you give Denmark a Leopard 2 tank? I ask this, because the Danish Government bought 1997 - 51 Leopard 2A4 tanks. It would actually be historically correct to add that war machine.

Thanks. ;)

Thanks!

The problem with giving Leopard 2A4's to Denmark is that they didn't have an operational unit until 2000, even though the purchase was approved in 1997. The tanks in question were sold from German stocks as a result of the Cold War being ended, though originally they were going to be purchased from the Netherlands (who sold them to Austria instead). Moreover, Landjut and Scandinavia both have 2A4's so it would be somewhat redundant (though I know you had originally proposed replacing Landjut). Source

I do appreciate your suggestions and I'm sorry I've rejected both of your ideas. Are you Danish by chance? If so, is there anything else that could improve the character and representation of Denmark?

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Sat 9 Jun 2018 14:49

Sireyn wrote:
Sonki3 wrote:Awesome. Looking forward to the new version. :)

Keep up the great work.

Thanks. ;)

Thanks!

The problem with giving Leopard 2A4's to Denmark is that they didn't have an operational unit until 2000, even though the purchase was approved in 1997. The tanks in question were sold from German stocks as a result of the Cold War being ended, though originally they were going to be purchased from the Netherlands (who sold them to Austria instead). Moreover, Landjut and Scandinavia both have 2A4's so it would be somewhat redundant (though I know you had originally proposed replacing Landjut). Source

I do appreciate your suggestions and I'm sorry I've rejected both of your ideas. Are you Danish by chance? If so, is there anything else that could improve the character and representation of Denmark?

There are some realistic options that would make Denmark both more flavorous but also more flexible, not all really change much but they exist at least.

1) Better motorized capabilities: even before 1980 the Danish army operated a number of squad level trucks and had actual motorized units. Giving Denmark this capability would be really simple: clone the Unimog transport truck from ANZAC (primary Danish squad level truck) and give it a good amount of cards for every infantry unit bar the MANPAD squads (they should use the Landrover or the M151 jeep).
Note that this could be done for other countries outside of Denmark, like ANZAC and W-Germany (both used the Unimog, the Stolly was never used as a squad level truck by ANZAC).

As an aside, the command M151 could be replaced by a Landrover, available from 1977.

2) More fleshed out recon: the current depiction in Wargame isn't the most authentic nor the most effective. Denmark had the unique aspect of operating 2 men squads on jeeps (M151 or later MB 240GD) carrying 2 Gv m/75 and 2 Carl Gustav M2. I suggest to reroll the M151 into a good optics recon transport for said 2 man squad (retains the MG), which would make recon more flexible.

Meanwhile, Spejderne should be rerolled into a 10man shock squad (identical to Livagarden but recon) in M113A1/Unimog as this was also done IRL. Danish recon infantry was famous for being quite aggressive in the Cold war, and the two aforementionned changes should properly represent this.

Finally I suggest that the M41A1 DK1 and norwegian NM116 swap optics (with necessary avail and price changes), as the danish tank with it's thermal optics deserves it more than the norwegian one, who didn't have them. Denmark already has decent VG optics options, while Norway lacks them.

3) Slightly improved tank tab: while there aren't any better options in timeframe, we can at least make it more cost effective.
The Leopard 1A3DK and the Australian AS1 should swp gun stats as the DK retained the same fire constrol system as early Leopard 1s, while the AS1 had the same SABCA FCS as the Canadian C1.
In turn the danish tank would be cheaper, and a good cheap fire support tank.

Meanwhile all Centurions arguably deserve a ROF buff to 9, but an armor nerf to 7 for those without improved glacis armor and 8 for those with (this was quite overmodeled at 9). Doing this would improve their effectiveness, and their price could also be reduced as they are very uncompetitive compared to Leo 1s.
The 5/2DK could get 16AP and 2275m range, but an accuracy nerf as it used a laser rangefinder combined with PPTFS m/85 (german DM33) APFSDS ammunition, turning it into a glass cannon less advanced than the Leo 1A5DK, but cheaper.

4) Slightly improved air tab? There are a few options like removing the F-100D (retired in 1982) and instead replacing the Bullpup on the F-35 Draken with 4x19 70mm rocket pods and 2 AIM-9J Sidewinders (real loadout, the Bullpup was rare and used against bridges), which should also have 20% ECM at least (it had RWR, chaff and flares and could mount an EW pod).
This would improve danish rocket aircraft option and better represent the qualities of the F-35 Draken.

The CF-104 should use AIM-9Js (AIM-9Ls bought in 1983) and be cheaper, while a 1983 clone of the NL F-16A Block 1 could be done.

Return to “Modding”