Wargame Internal Mechanics Manual

Resident Mario
Sergeant

Wargame Internal Mechanics Manual

Postby Resident Mario » Mon 7 Nov 2016 05:08

Hello everyone,

I've been working on using Power Crystal's XML Exporter tool to export and dataify Wargame: Red Dragon unit values for external consumption. As a part of that effort, the past couple of days I worked on putting together a manual going through the TUniteAuSolDescriptor tables value-by-value and module-by-module:

https://github.com/ResidentMario/wargam ... Manual.pdf

At 49 pages, this is now a very substantial piece of work, and one that I'd like to share for feedback and editing with you folks here.

I really want this to be as complete a reference as possible, and I'd like to fill out as much of it as I can with more information. So please help by contributing your thoughts---and especially observations of effects not currently listed in this document!

Thanks.

Narcissistic Black
Major

Re: Wargame Internal Mechanics Manual

Postby Narcissistic Black » Mon 7 Nov 2016 09:54

Resident Mario wrote:Hello everyone,

I've been working on using Power Crystal's XML Exporter tool to export and dataify Wargame: Red Dragon unit values for external consumption. As a part of that effort, the past couple of days I worked on putting together a manual going through the TUniteAuSolDescriptor tables value-by-value and module-by-module:

https://github.com/ResidentMario/wargam ... Manual.pdf

At 49 pages, this is now a very substantial piece of work, and one that I'd like to share for feedback and editing with you folks here.

I really want this to be as complete a reference as possible, and I'd like to fill out as much of it as I can with more information. So please help by contributing your thoughts---and especially observations of effects not currently listed in this document!

Thanks.

Brilliant. Now we have something to reference New people to read when they have no idea what they're doing.

Well played.
The First Narcissist
Click signature to see Modification, Alpha Released. Try now.

Atlas
Private First-Class

Postby Atlas » Mon 7 Nov 2016 11:58

Thank you.

Is there any chance we could get a spreadsheet of units with their values so we can compare the values to their definitions in that beautiful beast of a manual? I know there is the tool, but a spreadsheet would be much more user friendly just for looking at and comparing different unit stats.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Mon 7 Nov 2016 23:24

Incredibly good !
Some remarks
AcknowUnitType defines what the unit is suppose to do (or that's what I guess) Tanks have value 24, tube artillery is 32, SAM is 30.

I don't know all the value, and I don't know how the games use this (maybe for filtering in the armory)
I'll try to find all the numbers and I'll edit your tex file :)
If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Resident Mario
Sergeant

Postby Resident Mario » Tue 8 Nov 2016 01:23

Darkmil wrote:Incredibly good !
Some remarks
AcknowUnitType defines what the unit is suppose to do (or that's what I guess) Tanks have value 24, tube artillery is 32, SAM is 30.

I don't know all the value, and I don't know how the games use this (maybe for filtering in the armory)
I'll try to find all the numbers and I'll edit your tex file :)
If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Yes, I should add: if you would like to make a change, it should be pretty easy to do so via a pull request against the GitHub repository (https://github.com/ResidentMario/wargame). For this to survive in the long term it needs to be maintained by multiple people, e.g. not just me, so I definitely encourage doing that.

Atlas wrote:Thank you.

Is there any chance we could get a spreadsheet of units with their values so we can compare the values to their definitions in that beautiful beast of a manual? I know there is the tool, but a spreadsheet would be much more user friendly just for looking at and comparing different unit stats.

Yes, that should be forthcoming.

Resident Mario
Sergeant

Postby Resident Mario » Fri 11 Nov 2016 06:56

Updated again: https://github.com/ResidentMario/wargam ... Manual.pdf

I'm satisfied now that this text is *relatively* complete.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Sun 13 Nov 2016 22:57

One tiny correction: 33.40 NoiseDissimulationMalus is stealth penalty when the unit starts to shoot. Messing around with this recreates the stealth commando SMG units which remain invisible even when shooting.

Nice work, by the way. Something like this has been needed for a long time now.

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Mon 21 Nov 2016 02:01

Darkmil wrote:AcknowUnitType defines what the unit is suppose to do (or that's what I guess) Tanks have value 24, tube artillery is 32, SAM is 30.

I haven't confirmed this, but I'd bet Euros to croissants that it's the "voice" of the unit. It's the unit-type you should find the sound files for when it acknowledges that you've clicked it.

Also, the explicit effect of IsSubMunition is to, if set to true, a) give the weapon a [CLUS] tag, and b) always penetrate through top armour.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Mon 21 Nov 2016 04:56

Nice work!

I'd add a note for the Blindage Values under 36.12;
While there are blindage values that allow you to set a units armor over 27 26, up to as much as 30, settings of 27 26 or higher have issues with the way the damage table works (there's another table in there that sets HP loss for each AV vs DMG comparison)
The result is that AV values of27 26or above become un-targetable to KE weapons, and iirc, only take 1 (maybe 0?) DMG from any HEAT hit.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Fri 2 Dec 2016 04:35

I've updated my wargame cheat sheet to reflect the new associations in the Fin/Yugo DLC. Potentially these could be added into the mechanics manual, or provided along side it.

There are listings for hit rules and blindage values. I find having them on-hand greatly speeds things up while I'm modding.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing