Trouble with wargame modding suite [Solved]

Sandiford
Corporal

Trouble with wargame modding suite [Solved]

Postby Sandiford » Thu 8 Dec 2016 20:15

So all was working well with the modding suite, editing files, changes showing up in game, all good.

Then for some reason, it seems to have started corrupted the ndf file whenever I save it. It goes from 23 kB to 7 kB, and the changes no longer show up ingame.

I've reverted to the original files via a steam "verify integrity of game cache", but still no good. As soon as I change anything, or even if I don't change anything just open and save it, it goes straight back to 7 kB, and no changes recognised ingame.

Obviously, can't mod at all. I'm all out of ideas, no errors nor error logs.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks if so
Last edited by Sandiford on Thu 8 Dec 2016 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

CRASHER47
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Trouble with wargame modding suite

Postby CRASHER47 » Thu 8 Dec 2016 21:22

Sandiford wrote:So all was working well with the modding suite, editing files, changes showing up in game, all good.

Then for some reason, it seems to have started corrupted the ndf file whenever I save it. It goes from 23 kB to 7 kB, and the changes no longer show up ingame.

I've reverted to the original files via a steam "verify integrity of game cache", but still no good. As soon as I change anything, or even if I don't change anything just open and save it, it goes straight back to 7 kB, and no changes recognised ingame.

Obviously, can't mod at all. I'm all out of ideas, no errors nor error logs.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks if so

The Modding Suite compresses the file after saving, its normal that the size is lower after.
For the changes not appearing, the game got updated multiple times lately, (Finland and Yugoslavia + fixes etc), when you lauch back the modding suite, you need to re-open the lastest NDF file, what I think you are doing is simply re-editing the same you were, which corresponds to an older version of the game.

Lastest NDF file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\STEAM\steamapps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\510057270

Next time you got a question, please ask it in the Modding Questions Thread, dedicated to it and avoids lot of small threads. ;)

Sandiford
Corporal

Postby Sandiford » Thu 8 Dec 2016 22:05

Hi Crasher,

Thanks for the help.

You were right about the file sizes.

As for problem, I had made a new folder called 800000001 think that this would just replace whichever the latest patch was with my changes. Turned out this wasn't working. Thought I had tested this but guess not. My previous changes were made in the 5x folder, which I had reverted when I realised, so using the 8x folder was the cause of the problem.

When I deleted the 8x folder and went back to the last 5x folder it worked fine again.

On that note, is there a way to achieve this? Or is the best answer just to copy the .dat file to the latest patch file on updates?

Thanks once again

CRASHER47
Command Sergeant Major

Postby CRASHER47 » Fri 9 Dec 2016 00:01

Sandiford wrote:Hi Crasher,

Thanks for the help.

You were right about the file sizes.

As for problem, I had made a new folder called 800000001 think that this would just replace whichever the latest patch was with my changes. Turned out this wasn't working. Thought I had tested this but guess not. My previous changes were made in the 5x folder, which I had reverted when I realised, so using the 8x folder was the cause of the problem.

When I deleted the 8x folder and went back to the last 5x folder it worked fine again.

On that note, is there a way to achieve this? Or is the best answer just to copy the .dat file to the latest patch file on updates?

Thanks once again

Not really sure what you did, but : don't create new folders like that, the game won't load it as he's not made to load something he doesn't know, like he got somewhere written "load that folder for that".

As for NDF files, you can port them to new versions, Narcissistic Black has done that so far for his mod, to not start all over, although his mod doesn't have the DLC nations due to that.

So if you are doing small changes that don't take much time to redo on new version, redo them.
If it's really a long work you don't wanna lose, IIRC, you can export the "everything" from the NDF to another NDF, and import it in it (replace). (so you can keep your work, but if any changes such as new Nations or new maps came, they won't be able to be used, you have to delete decks using these new nations etc, I don't know how new maps can affect the game in that instance.)

> > > To export and import

IIRC, it's how you need to do, I did it few times months ago. (in case I'm wrong, just make a copy of your NDF mod file somewhere ;) )

-Open your initial NDF file, the one you worked on.
-Select the "everything.ndfbin" (make it blue, don't doubleclick)
-Click on the trash icon > export (make sure you defined an export path, to not lose your file somewhere lol)
-Now you've done that, open the lastest NDF file, select the "everything.ndfbin" (make it blue)
-Trash icon > replace (with the file you exported)
-Job is done, now the game still use the lastest NDF, but you ported your changes.

-Remember what I said about new nations and stuff, you need to delete the new decks or you may crash (and I don't know for maps, Russian Roulette might work or not, depending on when you started to work on that). I don't think they made any mechanics changes, you shouldn't have problem on that side.

Have fun. ;)

Sandiford
Corporal

Postby Sandiford » Fri 9 Dec 2016 22:35

CRASHER47 wrote:
Not really sure what you did, but : don't create new folders like that, the game won't load it as he's not made to load something he doesn't know, like he got somewhere written "load that folder for that".

As for NDF files, you can port them to new versions, Narcissistic Black has done that so far for his mod, to not start all over, although his mod doesn't have the DLC nations due to that.

So if you are doing small changes that don't take much time to redo on new version, redo them.
If it's really a long work you don't wanna lose, IIRC, you can export the "everything" from the NDF to another NDF, and import it in it (replace). (so you can keep your work, but if any changes such as new Nations or new maps came, they won't be able to be used, you have to delete decks using these new nations etc, I don't know how new maps can affect the game in that instance.)

> > > To export and import

IIRC, it's how you need to do, I did it few times months ago. (in case I'm wrong, just make a copy of your NDF mod file somewhere ;) )

-Open your initial NDF file, the one you worked on.
-Select the "everything.ndfbin" (make it blue, don't doubleclick)
-Click on the trash icon > export (make sure you defined an export path, to not lose your file somewhere lol)
-Now you've done that, open the lastest NDF file, select the "everything.ndfbin" (make it blue)
-Trash icon > replace (with the file you exported)
-Job is done, now the game still use the lastest NDF, but you ported your changes.

-Remember what I said about new nations and stuff, you need to delete the new decks or you may crash (and I don't know for maps, Russian Roulette might work or not, depending on when you started to work on that). I don't think they made any mechanics changes, you shouldn't have problem on that side.

Have fun. ;)

Cool, thanks for info.

I guess wargame wasn't really intended for modding :)

Return to “Modding”